Toulouse FC Thread

Discussion in 'France: Clubs' started by MedissiaPWR, Jul 29, 2005.

1. toulousain

toulousain Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Toulouse, France
    Club:
    Toulouse FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Re: Toulouse FC Thread 2005-2006

No excuses, but it can be explained. Years of bad results, not a great history and the popularity of the rugby team.

I didn't like "they don't deserve their success". The ranking isn't done with the crowd attendances.

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France

and ASM is the best example of that! i used to go watch them in the days when they were the big dogs in D1, went to a CWC final, and to top it all off had the sweetest team to watch in all of football: klinsmann, scifo, weah, djorkaeff, rui barros, sauzée, thuram... and coached by arsène wenger! and even in those days louis II made less noise than my mom's bridge club!

3. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003

If I was in the stands I'd be making much noise.

4. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Modified the thread title to eliminate the "2005/06" since...it's a couple of years old! :eek:

5. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Read in the paper this morning that Gerrard and Carragher are both out of tonight's game. I like the thought of Elmander being marked by a makeshift center-half. I'll be cheering hard for you guys tonight, both as a fan of L1 and as an enemy of Liverpool!

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    you can change your avatar too: it's history! ;)

7. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    See, I'm a big believer in "living history" and being aware of where we came from, so it's my duty to keep it as is. :)

In the extremely unlikely event Napoli wins the scudetto, though, that policy may have to change...

8. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I hope Toulouse shocks Anfield and gets a win today.

9. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I'm watching the match and they are clearing being outclassed. They are not "the 3rd best French team"

10. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    ouch. to be honest, a very poor showing for TFC.

11. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris

The problem is that as it stands right now, UEFA refuses to let any team that can't finish in the top 2 in its domestic league get a free pass to the group stage.

The big 6 (Spain, Italy, England, Germany, France, Portugal) each get 2 free passes, Holland, Belgium and Greece get one) The rest of the teams all have to qualify through various levels. Because England, Italy and Spain get 4 spots, some poor sucker always finds themselves having to face one of Liverpool/Arsenal, Seville/Valencia or Deportivo, AC Milan/Roma/Inter/Juventus or Lazio in the third qualifying round

However since UEFA doesn't believe in seeding knockout draws, you're equally as likely to draw the Danish champions as you are last years beaten finalists when you can't come first or second in league 1 or in the Portuguese Super liga. Guess which one Benfica got ?

12. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Doesn't make a difference. Ever since Monaco disbanded their bomb squad, tthe third placed French team bombs out in the quallfiers

13. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    No I dont think so. I believe last year Lille was the 3rd place team and the drew a "weaker" team and went through easily. The cycle changes every other year. Last year 3rd place French draws a weaker team, this year they draw a stronger team. Next year 3rd place French will draw a weaker team again. Year before Lille 3rd place team Monaco drew Betis(stronger team). Its a recurring pattern.

14. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Wow, talk about a club that may have been better off just missing Europe last year.....

Way to much for Toulouse to handle.

15. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    It was a tough draw, so I don't think it's fair to say that the 3rd French team is never good enough play the group stage. Had Toulouse drawn almost anybody else, save perhaps Sevilla, Arsenal, and one or two others, they would have gone through. There will be teams that are worst than TFC in the group stage.

16. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    My bad. You're right.

I guess it can be pretty infuriating though when you see the disparity in between the choice of teams who get to the third qualifying rounds. I'm sure Everton is still smarting from having to play Villareal last year

I always wonder what UEFA would do if the draw threw up an Arsenal - Intermilan or a Liverpool - Valence in the third qualifying round

17. toulousain

toulousain Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Toulouse, France
    Club:
    Toulouse FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It is due to UEFA coefficients and luck.
    Toulouse wasn't seeded as they hadn't played in European competitions for 20 years and they drew the best opponent possible (in terms of UEFA coefficient).
    Last year, Lille was a seeded team as they played Champions League and UEFA Cup in recent years and they drew on of the weakest teams, a Macedonian team if I remember well.

18. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    3rd place French team always has a great chance to go through as long as they dont play anyone from Spain, Italy, or England. Anyone else they have a good chance of beating.

19. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think that for once, the tie was already decided in the team sheets. That is, with the exception of a couple of guys on TFC, none of them would make it into the Liverpool team, even though they played almost a reserve team. There's no denying it. The financial differences between the 2 leagues, and the "big club" status that Liverpool have decided these matches.

For example, Momo Sissoko as a reserve player? He would start on almost every team in France.

20. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Thats what I was saying. I saw zero chance of an "upset." You think someone other than Elmander could make the Liverpool team ? Who ?

21. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    My bad, perhaps I should have said only 1 because I think Elmander is the only realistic one.

22. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    What happened to Laurent Battles and why did Baup never give Santos the Tunisian a fair chance ? I thought he was a semi prolific striker and they cast him aside like garbage.

23. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Battles is 32 and not as effective, Santos has been a big disappointment, I think.

24. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I dont think Elmander and Santos got many chances to play together and I was thinking that would be a pretty decent combo. I think its Baup's fault because he didnt sign him so he wasnt one of his guys.

25. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah, Gignac looked horrible yesterday. Don't know if he is the answer up front.