Toulon Tournament 2018

Discussion in 'England' started by Garibaldi11, May 10, 2018.

1. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  2. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Scrap that.

So many of the 97s were already in u21s & with the 98s at u19 Euro's they had to have a wide range of years (ie taking 99s)

There aren't a lot of 98s in the England u21 squad think its safe to assume the majority of the squad will be 98s.

3. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I think they've said that they still might bring some 97s. I'd like to see Hepburn-Murphy included but he may miss out because of Villa's playoff involvement. Demetri Mitchell is another that should be looked at, an injury knocked him back, but he's playing again now and has had a good loan at Hearts overall as a fullback.

No idea what to expect from this squad though, could be anyone.

“We have plans and preparations in place for that tournament and going to Toulon will allow me to have a look at one or two of the players from the other groups, such as Keith Downing’s U20s or even Paul Simpson’s U19s group.

“So we’ll make sure we have a good look at our group in March and then we’ll look forward to Toulon in May.”

Boothroyd makes it seem like it'll mainly be the U21s who's seasons have finished. Clarke-Salter, Tomori, Dowell, Ejaria etc.

Will be a shame if it's a bit of a boring squad.

4. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Good point in taking play-offs into account.

Jay Da Silva & the 5 Villa boys (Suliman, O'Hare, Green, Davis, Hepburn-Murphy) could fall into that category. Just got to hope Villa keep an open mind because not all of them have been involved in their first team with any regularity.

5. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #5 Slater582, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Shrewsbury eliminated Charlton so Dasilva should be available. Dean Henderson will not be.

Scottish Cup final is a week before the start of the Toulon tournament so it'd be good to see Patrick Roberts there, having missed the 2016 European U19 and 2017 U20 World Cup.

What's the coverage like for this tournament, do they stream the games on Youtube?

Edit: Just read an article by Sam Wallace in the Telegraph from last week. Toulon players named after the World Cup squad announced, which he reckons will be Wednesday or Thursday. Players due to meet up a week (Mon 21st) today.

6. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Coverage was an adventure last year, nobody in the UK did anything until the knockout rounds, when UNILAD on Facebook broadcast some games :D

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  7. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  8. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    So process of elimination, who is out?

Alexander-Arnold, Cook, Onomah, Rashford, Sessegnon, Keinan Davis, Hepburn-Murphy, Solanke, Dean Henderson,

I think Ejaria is with Liverpool in Marbella right now but i'm not sure what his status would be.

9. kbarrett2316

kbarrett2316 Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I'd expect some 2000s to be in. Maybe not the "big" names however but perhaps those not involved with the U19s?

10. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    they've pretty much guaranteed it'll be older lads. 97s + 98s.

11. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In that case this will be a great time to give Dan Crowley and Patrick Roberts call ups. We haven't seen Crowley play for England since November of 2015 and Roberts hasn't played since just about a year ago. I'm not so sure if Crowley warrants a call up because I haven't been following him, but Roberts certainly does.

12. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tashan Oakley-Booth is a good candidate. If you read my posts you can tell I'm a big fan of him and I'd like to see what he's capable of against older players.

13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Anyone know when the Squad is due to be announced?

14. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    A Keanan Bennetts call up would make a lot of sense to me.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  16. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Goalkeepers: Aaron Ramsdale (AFC Bournemouth), Freddie Woodman (Newcastle United)

Defenders: Jake Clarke-Salter (Chelsea), Jay Dasilva (Chelsea), Dael Fry (Middlesbrough), Jonjoe Kenny (Everton), Ezri Konsa (Charlton Athletic), Tom Pearce (Leeds United), Fikayo Tomori (Chelsea), Kyle Walker-Peters (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders: Harvey Barnes (Leicester City), Lewis Cook (AFC Bournemouth), Tom Davies (Everton), Kieran Dowell (Everton), Ovie Ejaria (Liverpool), Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Arsenal)

Forwards: Tammy Abraham (Chelsea), Adam Armstrong (Newcastle United), Edward Nketiah (Arsenal), Lukas Nmecha (Manchester City)

17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Zero width. Boothroyd is going to maintain his grudge with Roberts until the very end then :thumbsdown: Looks pretty much like an U21 squad. Is Tayo Edun fit? Would rather have seen him than an U21 squad regular.

18. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    That's a very strong squad. Maybe it's too strong, but it's also not a bad thing for some of them players to finish the season with another 4/5 games. Would be nice to see them really tear some teams apart.

No Lookman is a bit of a surprise, a shame they couldn't throw in Roberts or Edwards just for a bit of variety + some width.

19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    If they are going full strength then strange that Lookman and Onomah are missing.

Well I'm going to presume France, Portugal etc are throwing more youthful Squads together therefore nothing less than winning the tournament will be deemed a success imo and if we win it, I'm sure the media will be demanding Boothroyd be in line for the next senior England manager spot.

20. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Onomah's still in the play-offs. Not sure about Lookman.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Oh yeah, forgot about the playoffs.

22. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    A bit disappointed there is minimal 98s especially. Ramsdale, Da Silva, Pearce, Nmecha the only one's. Plus Davies but he is an Eng u21 Regular.

UNDER 21 1997 born regulars not in the squad above

Joe Worrall - injury
    Josh Onomah - Championship playoffs

Patrick Roberts - selection issues with the coach
    Ademola Lookman (?)
    Sheyi Ojo - selection
    Dominic Calvert-Lewin (injury)
    Dom Solanke (Champions League Final)

Izzy Brown (injury)

The one's in bold were in the last England u21 squad

23. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    So many other options out there too for width. Josh Sims. Cash played really well for Forest this season on his return from injury in a wide position.

Not sure what the story is with the Villa boys O'Hare, Green, Davis, Hepburn-Murphy too.

24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I wonder if they are going to mirror the senior team formation wise? 3-5-2? Looks that way to me with our only width coming from attacking full backs. Walker-Peters on the right side with Da Silva on the left flank.

wellno repped this.
  25. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I'm not sure we can just put P. Roberts' absence down to issues with Boothroyd. He's not played a lot of football recently and he's still with Celtic for the Cup Final at the minute.