Totti: 250 Serie A goals & counting

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Cassano, Dec 24, 2007.

1. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I think it's a pretty rare son who lives up to his father's expectations.

2. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zidane's son goes by his maternal name to avoid that weighted expectation.

3. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maldini. Can't really think of too many more though.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2129 falvo, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    Yeah Paolo was better than his dad but his brother couldn't even make it as an amateur. There is a lot of current talk about DiFrancesco & Ganz Jr and Abate's dad was a longtime GK but I can't name too many others who could follow in their father's footsteps. My friend's dad Amedeo Stenti was was from Rome and he played for Vicenza and Napoli. He tried to get his other son into the pros but no one would even look at him because he wasn't good enough. He talked to many coaches and really wanted his son to play professionally but it wasn't in the cards. There are many stories like this though....

5. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure most footballers had dads who took it way too seriously and were living vicariously through their kids. Most dads just aren't retired pros. Most are retired pub leaguers.

Rosay, whill4 and NickyViola repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2131 falvo, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    Yeah my two sets of nephews in Italy were one of those. Listening to their dad's, their kids could do nothing wrong. Neither admitted their kids weren't good enough , even though they kept trying and failing with many different teams on countless tryouts.....Their dad's really wanted their kids to make it but in the end, they pushed too much and looking back, it was a very sad way to live for both father and son.

7. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    What about Sandro and Valentino Mazzola? Sandro had a pretty impressive career though I've read that many considered his father much more talented.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Before my time but that was a very sad story wasn't it? Just saw a documentary last week on that Grande Torino team and Sandro was overcome with emotion when he played at the Filadelfia for the first time. Giuseppe Meazza was his coach and had to comfort him because he couldn't even bring himself to playing as he was overcome with emotion. Never quite understood why Sandro never played at Torino. Guess it would have been difficult to follow his dad on that team.

9. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Paolo Maldini exceeded his father

10. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I wasn't talking about a son who becomes better at sports than his father. I can think of dozens of those just in baseball, honestly.

11. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Baseball is a sport?

muptonfish and Haakon24 repped this.
  12. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Not to a Chicago-an.

Rosay repped this.
  13. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    My home team is the Blue Jays. At games we have girls sporting shirts that say I love BJs. Best thing about baseball in my eyes

Shen-O, romanista8910, porreca and 5 others repped this.
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Buon Onomastico a tutti quelli che portano (al maschile e al femminile) il nome del Capitano!

[​IMG]

romanista8910 repped this.
  15. ShoelessMan

ShoelessMan In vino veritas!

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ummmmmmmmmmm...

EDIT: new avatar CONFIRMED!

Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 12.40.20 PM.JPG

16. ShoelessMan

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The pleasure is mine shoeless one

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  19. ShoelessMan

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    got to rome today and it was a mixed bag. i was flying from berlin to munich to rome. instead of landing in munich, we landed in nuremberg due to the munich runways being shut down due to a fire in the cockpit of a plane. (at least that's what i heard) we finally got to munich after refueling at the other airport, and once i boarded my flight in munich, i realized i recognized the guy sitting next to me on the plane. it was antonio rudiger. no shit. what's crazy is, he posted a picture on twitter on the 11th, saying he was in rome... but there he was, flying back to rome from munich. we talked a little but not much, and as soon as the plane landed, he BOLTED and ran through the rome airport. late for practice maybe as a result of the 1 ½ hour delay?

anyway, everything started out amazing until i opened my luggage and found out the totti painting was damaged in transit. i was bringing it to take to trigoria for a photo op that was being set up through roma radio. i was going to have him sign the back. now, i have to cancel. on totti... what?!?!?!

so now my whole vacation is ruined. are you freaking kidding me? i have no idea how much money i'm gonna have to shell out to get it touched up and odds are i'll never have another opportunity to show it to him... SUCK!!!

20. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    huge bummer

[​IMG]

meazza, Rosay and Midfield General repped this.
  21. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    why not still have him sign the back?

romanista8910 repped this.
  22. ShoelessMan

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because he'd see the front... ruined...

23. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Man that sucks I really feel for you. It ruined my day.

24. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'm sure he and others understands things happen in transport. For all you know he'd give you something else signed as well/instead.

meazza, Rosay, Oban14 and 2 others repped this.
  25. ShoelessMan

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Shen-O @shiboboo @romanista8910

here's a little update on the totti icon...

the artist was as heartbroken as i was that the painting was damaged. he was in on the whole "get totti to sign it" idea and had given me packing suggestions to keep the painting safe. unfortunately, i'm a complete dumbass and messed up one of the critical steps, which led to the box i was carrying it in getting crushed, thus ruining the gold leaf halo. the artist asked me to mail it back to him in switzerland so he could repair it, free of charge. fed ex charged me $250 to mail the damn thing to switzerland and then i had to pay another $50 for return shipping, but the good news is the artist fixed it good as new. instead of stripping the original gold leaf halo, he added another one on top of it and said "now it has double gold :) - correct for Totti, isnt it?"

so, the good news is, soon i'll have the totti painting back, as beautiful as ever.

FORZA TOTTI!