Tottenham vs Liverpool FC - EPL - Oct 22 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Klopp did sign a goalkeeper to replace Migolet, and spent the entire summer trying to sign a CB to replace Lovren. Karius hasn't been able to out perform Mingolet and VVD didn't work out. So it's not like he hasn't identified the problem. He just hasn't succeeeded in fixing it.

Red Bird repped this.
  2. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  3. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

The terrible answer to that one was nope --- my opinion is that we are never the same force of a team without any of wijnaldum, mane and lallana). But credit to spurs - that's the best I've seen any side play against (and largely dominate us) in a while ....
    You have to give yourself a chance in these situations by doing the basics of defending right though. Lovgren wasn't fit to be onthe field - he was struggling to run -- what th efvck is goingon with the Medics who check these guys???

4. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm sure Klopp does a terrific job coaching team defense. He does need players capable of consistently executing his approach. Seems we have a gap here.

5. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Trying as hard as possible not to act like Carragher or Henchoz or Hyppia or Hamann ....
    Launch yourself at the ball and clear the fvcking thing....in any direction..... jeez...

6. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I agree with most of that. pretty astute. Really missid GW out there on Sunday. Unfortunate that knock was --- But this team (brilliant as it is - we might thump spurs in the corresponding Anfield fixture later on) is the one team that needs to focus more than other big teams in defensive mode, and we can't be shooting ourselves in the foot like we did for the first two goals with defenders afraid to take on the tackle and clearances.....
    get Van Dyck and quick!

7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

The midfield that dominates 90% of games it plays hardly needs rescuing.... ffs .. get a grip man ....

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I disagree about Mignolet. He's made a buinch of good saves this year and last. He's really an ok keeper. If you take out the obvious two and Loris who in the premiershipis really much or any better??

9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I would be willing to bet 1000 $ (given no change in personnel that this team would still finish in th etop six) the pointis that there is no point to finishing either 5th or 7th or 8th as far as I'm concerned.

10. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Agree. On his best days he's actually quite good. But on average, he's average. On a bad day he's very poor. Overall, just an average Premiership keeper who I snot going to get any better. Makes it extremely hard to win the premiership with a very average keeper?

Needs to be replaced with the best we can find. In the meantime, give Karius/Ward a crack. Who knows, one of them might turn out to be quite good. Certainly not any worse.

11. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #111 zaqualung, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017

Seems reasonable to me, that analysis -

My only gripe with Klopp is why did he get rid of Sakho - who is a bit of a blood and guts defender. Maybe they have a personality issue. but Jurgen could use the dude now.....

12. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

You may be right. I just see a dearth of real good goalkeepers around nowadays.... It's hard to find a standout. United really lucked out.

13. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yep. Hardly ever loses the ball (or uses it badly) that guy.

CB-West repped this.
  14. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Biggest problem is this thing of playing Firmino instead of sturridge -- i have a feeling we might have won a couple of those draws with some more clinical finishing. We probably would have won the first game with coutinho playing. How can we knoiw how the city game would have gone with Mane and Coutinho playing?
    With a few more points on the board, last Sunday's dip becomes something more like a hiccup to take in stride....

Maybe we'll get a bit of a run ofthe green over the next 5 games.... (Then the press hounds would shut up and leave what is obviously a good team alone)
    Let's hope......

15. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sturridge is done as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't look dangerous when he's on. Already a weak mind as it is, now he's scared of getting injured. Nowhere near what he was in 2013-14 and never will be again.

16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    compared to the exact same fixtures last season (ie ignore Newcy game) we have the exact same number of points (12).

so in general we aren't worse than last year but we aren't any better either. if only we hadn't (a) effed up vs Spurs or (b) the City game hadn't gone sideways ......

however the other big teams have improved.

Sir Niney repped this.
  17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    agree with almost everything speke but not TAA in midfield. too soon for him, he needs more time to settle in the first team and does v well at RB for now.

maybe we can throw more $$ at Red Bull and get them to release Keita in Jan .....

18. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yep and the main point was that Klopp must make some changes to our defensive set up and for me that includes the guys protecting in front of the back four too. But by not strengthening properly in the summer Klopp now has left himself few good options. If we drop Lovren and move Gomez into the middle we're down to Trent and perhaps Flano or Milner at rb. Also if we drop Migs and give Ward a try we could see a very young inexperienced set up with Ward in goal behind Trent, Matip,Gomez Moreno. I'm not sure Klopp will want to start such and inexperienced back five.

So another option would be going to a back three with Gomez, Matip , Klavan or perhaps Can. We just have so few solid options I still wonder how we could have let Sakho go without replacing him cos right now he'd be a shoo in to start the next game imo.

19. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Funny - our (arguably) strongest position on the back line is left back - where we have Alberto Moreno (!) and Andy Robertson - and didn't James Milner do a fine job filling in there most of last season? :eek:

One game at a time...feeling pretty good about Klopp and the boys ending his pal's euphoria over beating ManUtd.

20. canucksh

canucksh Member

Jun 2, 2015
    I don't have a problem giving Ward time in goals, after last season at Huddersfield and his time with Wales I think he has earned a chance. I also think he would be more vocal then either Migs or Karius. I would also be happy giving the kids a greater runout. They can't do any worse then the current line-up

Klopp is at fault for creating this situation. We don't have a single DM destroyer capable of protecting the back four, every successful side in the EPL has always had one. Naby isn't the answer for this as he will take one of the two advanced MF roles.

Lovren should have been shipped out over the summer and 2 new CB purchased (I know he wanted VvD but we needed at least one more at CB). The team also lacks strong leaders in the defence and the midfield.

I don't mind the idea of trying a back 3 but that would require Klopp to substantially change his tactics, something he doesn't want to do.