Tottenham v Liverpool - CL Final - 1 June - Madrid

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, May 30, 2019.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moura had a good semifinal, and a few good matches this past season. Kane and Son have been doing it for 2 to 3 years.
    Moura will make an appearance, but it won't be until late, and my guess is it will be for Winks or Dele.

2. iunlock

iunlock Member

Team Sonny
    Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Spurs needs to score fast in the 2nd half to gain confidence.... this game is all a mental battle right now...

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spurs playing a 4-2-4?

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game has opened up

5. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is so unfair, if Liverpool win the trophy due to a single penalty, and it Salah penalty.

Beep this, just beep, gahhhhhhh

I don't mind lose, but lose to an actual goal where Liverpool kick it in the net themselves please, not a penalty goal.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phew..that was close

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dier will come on for Sissoko. He's been struggling with a knee issue for about 10+ minutes.

8. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They got a goal in. Welp, no complaint now for that penalty kick.

It just suck.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap...MOM is van Dijk. Totally shut down Spurs attack.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  11. iunlock

iunlock Member

Team Sonny
    Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Disappointing match... uugghh

12. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Pretty much what I expected. Making the CL final is an accomplishment, for sure.

13. SpursGlory

SpursGlory Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Seattle Sounders FC
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They looked shit and had nothingto show other than a pk until 2nd goal which was expected after our missed chances. Good run but not the performance we needed in the final. Sometimes it’s down to a little luck and they had it with that start.

I think starting Kane was a mistake, disrupted rhythm of the team... he should’ve come on later.

We’ll be back, tough loss to take, losing to Barca & Messi would be fine but these mugs in this fashion ughhhhhh.

Phillyspur and soccernutter repped this.
  14. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Would have been interesting with a fit Kane and of course you know a net spend difference of what £100m

Liverpool being woeful doesn’t help, but oh well.

As long as Pochettino sticks around so as not to rub salt in the wounds.

15. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    At least now poch can’t say that he’ll leave spurs after winning the final
    otherwise that was the weakest loserpool i’ve seen In a while, but they’ve got the shitty pen...
    Anyway now to a boring summer and waiting for the next season...

16. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    I love you all. No matter what, we have forever moments. We have VAR at City. We have Lucas ‘96. Most importantly, we have Tottenham and we have each other.

Phillyspur and soccernutter repped this.
  17. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, we were not good enough. No shame, the team had a heck of a run. Now, Levy, we need improvements all over the pitch. Get 'em.

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All things considered, I think Spurs were the better team. It was also clear that the big occasion was not overwhelming.
    Lloris was quality all night. Can't really fault him for either goal.
    Trippier was fairly impressive v. Mane.
    Rose was the play we knew a few seasons ago, solid on both ends of the pitch.
    Vert and Alde were the solid players we expect.
    Sissoko was very good in the middle and did a lot to disrupt Liverpool, and start the attacks.
    Winks controlled the play well, though didn't provide enough emphasis going forward.
    Eriksen was not quite the quality we expect from him, but did have that excellent FK late which was well saved.
    Perhaps Son felt a bit of pressure early, but settled down and in the second half, because a real threat.
    Kane was missing most of the first half. Perhaps due to rust, perhaps fitness, perhaps just not in sync with the rest of team, but that changed as the match opened up during the second half.
    Dele was the only major disappointment. He had opportunities, but could rise to the occasion. Still, he was a danger for most of the night.

As SpursGlory said, Liverpool had the luck tonight, but they also used that luck when it came, and Spurs did not (that Moura shot was almost the same as v. Ajax).

Now it is time to improve the squad.

BalanceUT and Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  19. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Starting Kane was a bad but predictable decision. Everybody knew, from the manager to the player to the tea lady, that there was no way he could be fit for such an important match. Leaving Moura on the bench was a colossal blunder.

Don't know what on earth Sissoko was doing on the pen, he must have thought he was Pascal Siakam bringing down a rebound in the NBA Finals.

Even with almost 3 weeks between games the players still looked gassed. During the break, I re-watched some of our games from the first half of the season and the difference between then and now is startling. We looked sharp, quick, our passing was crisp, compared to the more recent games where we've looked sluggish, fatigued and the passing has been dreadful. Just a case of too many games for too many players after a grueling World Cup.

Getting to the final and qualifying for the CL next season are remarkable accomplishments for a beat-uo team, now it's up to Levy and Poch to get off their butts and improve the squad.

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a no-win situation. Kane can produce magic, but Moura had the hot boot. Personally, I think it was the right call.

Because it was hot and muggy. Both teams were gassed, but I think Spurs handled it better over all.

Perhaps this, along with the 109mil Euros, will show Levy that if he spends a bit more, Spurs will win either league or CL, and wouldn't that be a feather in his cap?

BalanceUT repped this.
  21. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so sure of that:
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-tottenham-could-shock-us-one-more-time/

soccernutter repped this.
  22. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Before yesterday, nobody had ever seen our team in a Champions League Final. Even five years ago, nobody could've even dreamed that this would be possible. AVB had been sacked, Sherwood was on his way out, the atmosphere was dreadful etc.

Fast forward to this year where we have a sqaud built on a fraction on what the big boys spend. Which means to get here, Poch had to take players who individually weren't Champions League finalist quality and coach them up. Dele, Kane, Eriksen, Sissoko, Rose, Son, Winks, etc. are all better today than when he arrived.

So I look at yesterday and say that it's the closing of a chapter in the club's history where making it to the Final is, but a mere dream. I want today to be the start of a new chapter where that is a not only realistic, but an expectation every so often.

As supporters and fans we should ask for no less. Because after knowing how defeat feels, I really want to know how victory tastes.

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching the BT Sport broadcast and they mentioned that only Alde and Llorente had made the final before (which mattered because Liverpool were returning finalists). Of the rest, Poch certianly got the most out of them, though from what I know about Kane, his drive and desire to improve made some of this inevitable. But as for the rest, yeah, that is on Poch. But I think it also helped that everybody in the starting lineup apart from Son and Eriksen were also in the World Cup semifinals. Oh, and Winks, too. I also think it helped that Spurs had 2 of the 4 Captains as well.

Edit: oops, I thought Sissoko was the WC squad. He was not.

I was thinking the same thing.

adrenaline11 and BalanceUT repped this.
  24. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was at the game last night. My condolences Spurs fans, but I think you were unlucky go be honest with the penalty coming 2 minutes in, and you came so close in the 2nd half. Don't know if you want my posting this or not but it's a compilation vid I made from the game last night, has the goals + celebrations, but also has a few Spurs chances and as I was sitting right next to the Spurs goal end lot of footage of Tottenham supporters chanting and stuff. Go ahead and delete it not wanted, but I'll leave it here anyway....

25. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Liverpool deserved the win. We played well to a point, but by gifting them a lead to defend Liverpool had control of the game even as we had possession. After the epic, epic season that Liverpool had it's hard to argue they don't deserve something big to show for it.

No complaints, we are Spurs and we got to the Champions League final. This is the start of something big - over the past 3 or 4 seasons we've consistently been towards if not at the sharp end of the league, and now we've made Europe sit up and take notice. We've shown we deserve to play with the big boys, now with the best stadium in world football it's time to play them on a level footing. The team is almost there, more to come from most and a few key, quality additions and we're ready.

COME ON YOU SPURS