PBP: Tottenham @ Man Citeh - Jan 21, 2017

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by soccernutter, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and part of the awful performance by Spurs is that both starting CBs are now down, and Lloris had an unusually awful match

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed when Spurs went down 2 goals, Pep was up yelling on the sidelines. But Poch just sat down, almost like he knew.

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the injury report tomorrow or Monday will be important. Might have Walker on the injury list as well. Noticed how he was limping a couple of minutes before he went down.

4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    both sides responded very well to adverse situations today.

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting thing Pep said: Spurs have 4 shots and score 4 goals. They get 2 shots and score 2 goals.

It says that if teams prevent Spurs from getting shot on target, they do better. But the fear is that if Spurs get a shot on target, they will score.

6. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The good news is that the next one's against Wycombe. The bad news is that it'll probably be Wimmer and CCV back there.

7. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he said everton had 4 shots and 4 goals (previous week) and then spurs had 2 shots 2 goals.

now, if only he would open his eyes and see that maybe his keeper is part of the issue

8. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gonna need wimmer to play, and get some confidence back after that performance

9. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I think he said Everton had four shots and scored 4, referring to last week. Not sure if he was calling out Bravo or just venting his frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Poch says he doesn't think Toby's injury is that bad but won't be sure for a couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Left for the march at minute 15 and would have been thrilled with a draw. The no call PK is interestin when juxtaposed against the game a few years ago when Mario stomped on Parker's head w/no call.

12. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Typical bonkers PL match! Reminded me of the game in 2012 when we also came back from 2-0 down (Defoe and Bale scored that day), yet we still managed to lose it on a penalty in stoppage time. This time we got the draw at least.

Naive play in the 1st half, thinking we were playing against Watford or West Brom and could just stroll out from the back at the Etihad. Wimmer and Dier had shockers and kept giving the ball away.Pep loaded up on attack with a Fab Five up front. Instead of playing more direct and getting on their back 4 and struggling keeper, we tried to play like them and created very little

Amazingly we recovered from Lloris's folly to get a draw. I think Poch must have set a record for most formations used in a single game!

I love watching Pep and Klopp when their teams implode, they look like their heads are going to burst.

Good day for Chelski though, and they have yet to kick a ball.

On to the FA Cup, COYS!

Phillyspur repped this.
  13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colm, is that you? ;)

14. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'll take a draw. Get points in away games vs the rest of the top 6 and we'll be ok.

No criticism of Lloris, he had a great first half and he's bailed us out so many times he's earned a pass on the very occasional rick.

I think Wimmer is a back 4 centre half. In a 3 the flanking defenders take on a lot of the defensive duties of the traditional full back, so Davies is better suited IMO.

leocal11 repped this.
  15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which kind of limits what Spurs can do. With Alde, Vert, and Dier, they can switch between a 3-5-2 and a 4-3-3. With Wimmer they are limited to a 4 at the back.

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna stick with what I said...only because I'm obstinate. :D

17. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    That’s not being obstinate, that’s just having access to alternative facts.

18. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    despite Lloris shocker, he is still statistically a top keeper in the PL

PL keepers to have faced more than 100 shots in 2016-17 - the best five
    Rank
    Keeper/club Expected goals conceded Actual goals conceded Additional goals prevented
    1/23 Tom Heaton (Burnley) 31.9 27 4.9
    2/23 Eldin Jakupovic (Hull) 11.2 8 3.2
    3/23 Hugo Lloris (Tottenham) 16.1 13 3.1
    4/23 Petr Cech (Arsenal) 24.6 22 2.6
    5/23 Kasper Schmeichel (Leicester) 20 18 2.0

can't say the same about Bravo though....

PL keepers to have faced more than 100 shots in 2016-17 - the worst five
    Rank
    Keeper/club Expected goals conceded Actual goals conceded Additional goals conceded
    19/23 Fraser Forster (Southampton) 19.7 26 6.3
    20/23 Claudio Bravo (Man City) 16.3 23 6.7
    21/23 Lukasz Fabianski (Swansea) 42.2 49 6.8
    22/23 Ron-Robert Zieler (Leicester) 7.7 16 8.3
    23/23 David Marshall (Hull) 26.3 37 9.7

19. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The pundit Don Hutchinson on the Football Today show had a great line when talking about Hugo's howlers: I bet Poch told him before the game, Hugo, make a couple of howlers and that way Pep won't try to sign ya!

20. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I woulda expected this from West Sham or Chelshit fans, but didn't think City fans were this low

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-38750034

A video in which football fans can be heard singing anti-Semitic insults is being investigated by police.
    Supporters heading towards the Etihad Stadium before Manchester City's Premier League game against Tottenham on Saturday were heard chanting the abuse on a tram.
    The chants were apparently directed at Spurs supporters.
    Officers said they were treating the chanting, footage of which has been widely shared online, as a hate crime.
    Among the chants, a group of men are heard singing about gas chambers in a reference to the Holocaust.
    Supt Steve Howard said: "Greater Manchester Police have been made aware of a video showing people chanting anti-Semitic songs.
    "This has yet to be formally reported to police, however we have now launched an investigation and we are treating this as a hate crime.

soccernutter repped this.
  21. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Really disappointing that even today some still see it as funny or clever to do that. There are plenty of ways to goad opposing fans without that.

SPUR-ious and soccernutter repped this.
  22. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    It's funny, the whole Yiddo stuff started at an away game at Maine Road back in the day. The Spurs supporters got fed up with the constant chants and decided to take the Yid insults as a badge of honour.

Remember a couple of years ago, they made a big fuss about the Yiddo chants at WHL and actually threatened to arrest Spurs supporters if they sang them during games?

I love the response of the crowd at the first game after the police threats: "We'll sing what we want, we'll sing what we want, we're the Yid Army, we'll sing what we want!"

Heven't heard anything about that since then...

23. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, led by Jewish comedian David Baddiel. Chelsea supporter. He's been strangely quiet over the recent racism prosecutions of Chelsea fans.