Totono Grisales, news & comments

Discussion in 'Colombia' started by RobB, Jan 15, 2004.

1. RobB

RobB New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Birmingham
    I`ve heard that Grisales is a $2m transfer target for Aston Villa. Maybe to team up with JPA. Does anyone know anything about him. I`ve heard he`s a quick right midfielder who can cross well. Also, his nickname is Totono, which I`m led to believe means `the ugly one`. Is this true?

2. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Totono Grisales

He would be a great buy for Aston Villa. He is absolute class.

3. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    so this would mean their bid for solano got rejected?

4. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    I never like the guy--- used to ruin the derby for my beloved DIM

but, the guy has some moves, and does not quit if he is fit and pain free

bad shoulder for the last 3yrs - must have an operation first, Personally I do not think that he passes an european (EPL) physical examination

the price tag is 2.5 million dollars

question: did he ever had a chance to play with JPA in atl nacional? I know they complement themselves just fine at the national level, but club level?

5. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    [​IMG]

Según manifestaron fuentes cercanas al Atlético Nacional, el Aston Villa de Inglaterra sería el destino más cercano para Freddy “Totono” Grisales. El pase del volante antioqueño está tasado en dos millones de dólares.

“Totono” ya fue notificado del interés del club inglés y en cualquier momento estaría dispuesto a viajar a Birmingham para definir su paso a "Los Villanos".

De igual forma se supo que el delantero Juan Pablo Angel fue consultado por las directivas del equipo inglés para conocer más sobre Grisales. El concepto del atacante ayudó a aumentar el interés de los ingleses por el mediocampista paisa.

heres the news I posted yesterday....
    Quick translation - It says that "Totono" may be closer to Villa than any other club, that his price tag may be around 2mill. "Totono" has been told about the interest of the English club, and that his willing and able to fly to Birmingham at any time. It also says that Juan Pablo Angel was consulted by Villa about Grisales, and that his opionions helped to get Villa more interested in him.

"Totono" is one of those players that runs every ball, and as long as he's able he'll be all over the pitch, he had his best game against Argentina, and came close to scoring when he broke thru the defense....we'll see if the deal does go thru or not....

6. RobB

RobB New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Birmingham
    Thanks for the information. I was just wondering how old he is, he looks about 30 in that photo (well 40 to be honest). If we do sign him it would be the end of the Solano bid but maybe O`leary is just keeping his options open. Newcastle want to sell Solano but we`re the only interested buyers at the moment, they may drop their asking price to Grisales` price to keep us interested. Given a choice I would choose Solano because he`s already settled and used to the Premier league.

7. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The Official Villa site is reporting that "Totono" will come over to Villa either next week or the one after for a one week trial period....

David O’Leary this morning confirmed he will run the rule over Colombian international Freddy Grisales later this month. The midfield ace, currently playing for Juan Pablo Angel’s former club Atletico Nacional, will link-up with Villa for a one-week trial as he bids to secure a Premiership move. And O’Leary told www.avfc.co.uk the trial was a sign of things to come as he bids to rebuild the Villa squad at the end of the season. He reflected: “I haven’t got much money to spend, so I can only do what I can do. At the moment I can’t see anything. Because of that, we have to explore and look at every avenue. He’ll be coming over for us to have a look at for a week. "We’re not paying for him to come over, it’s being funded, so it’s not costing us a penny. That’s the market we’re in and we’ve nothing to lose by it. He’ll come over either next week or the week after and we’ll have a look. “It wasn’t on Juan’s recommendation, it’s come from a friend of mine who is funding the trip himself. So it’s more of a favour to me.” O’Leary has consistently stressed that his major team building will come next summer as several senior players come to the end of their contracts. And the Grisales trial could be the first of many as the Villa boss shops around for the right men to bolster the squad. He added: “This is a taste of things to come in the summer. I know what needs to be done and I’ll do whatever it takes. I’ll leave no stone unturned as I look for the right players at the right prices.”

8. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    [​IMG]

La llegada de Freddy Grisales al Aston Villa va tomando forma. El jugador antioqueño y el presidente de Nacional, Silvio Mejía, viajan el fin de semana a Inglaterra para estar durante 10 días con el equipo 7 veces campeón del fútbol inglés.

“Recibimos una invitación por parte del Aston Villa para observar el trabajo de “Totono” durante algunos días. Ellos ya saben las condiciones de una posible negociación y creo que nos irá bien”, manifestó el máximo dirigente de los verdolagas.

Gracias a las gestiones y recomendaciones que ha hecho Juan Pablo Ángel, las directivas del Aston Villa y el técnico David O ´ Leary, solicitaron la presencia de Freddy Grisales para que sea sometido a exámenes médicos y conviva durante más de una semana con la plantilla del equipo de Birmingham

www.futbolred.com

For Rob -
    It says that "Totono" and Nacional's president Mejia, will travel to Birmingham as they have received an invitation by Aston Villa for Grisales to come and "live" among the team for more than a week, he will undergo physical exams and will be training I guess with Aston Villa....of course Mejia (Nacional's president) says that he thinks everything will go well for him and "Totono"....

9. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Hes 27, he just looks older cause he grew up in the mean streets of Medellin...but he would scare any EPL player with that face...

10. RobB

RobB New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Birmingham
    27, well if thats true it`s good age to sign a player, but no streets can be that mean! He must have lost a few fights, hope he won some too. I saw a program yesterday about Brazilian football and there was something about Luxembourgo (sp?) and how 30 years ago he said he was 3 years younger than he really was so he could play in some youth team. I think Grisales must have done something similar and just kept with his new age. Anyway if he passes a medical he`ll be fine. Thanks for the translations Pibe.

11. locolos

locolos New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    New York
    After Juan Pablo, el Totono is presently the best foot forward for Colombian soccer. He's the heart of la seleccion, and as said before he's a true fighter. Nacional will have a great loss if he indeed gets the transfer. Fans of Aston Villa will get a huge deal from Totono..... but again just like with Juan Pablo, there will be an adjustment period. Good news for Aston Villa, bad news for Atletico Nacional....

btw he has an outrageous shot!!!!!

12. AtNacional

AtNacional Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Washington DC
    Aston is going to have our two best players. Totono es lo mejor que hay en colombia. Translation: Grisales is the best player from Colombia at the moment. Theres no coach in the world that he would not impress. Very few players out there that play with heart like he does.

13. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    el presidente de Nacional, Silvio Mejía Duque, viajará a Inglaterra en compañía de Fredy Grisales para definir los últimos detalles de la vinculación del jugador al Aston Villa, donde también actúa el colombiano Juan Pablo Angel. El directivo diligenció y recibió ayer mismo las respectivas visas y de esa manera quedó confirmado el viaje.

‘Totono’ Grisales presentará los exámenes médicos y luego estará a prueba durante una semana a órdenes del técnico irlandés David O’Leary.

ENGLISH: club president and player got visas and will travel to england sunday morning for medical and last details of the deal - will train one week probatory period for david O'leary -

2.5 million dollars? BTW - he is 28 yrs old

14. AtNacional

AtNacional Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Washington DC
    u s ure i thought he was 26?

15. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    oh no, not even in his homeland his age is known, but I stick with my 27...got it from the paper, they do their research....

16. RobB

RobB New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Birmingham
    From a Birmingham paper:

.....Villa, who will take the player on trial at the expense of his agent, are in the no-lose situation of being able to back out if Grisales, aged 26, does not meet the required standards.....

I still think he`ll turn out to be thirty-something. Does anyone here know when he made his debut, which other clubs he played for? How many times has he played for Colombia?

17. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I know he played for San Lorenzo in Argentina,
    then went back to Atl. Nacional, cause of money problems...how many times has he played for Colombia? I don't know the exact number sorry....I guess he is 26, Atl. Nacional should know....

18. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
  19. RobB

RobB New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Birmingham
    I copied and pasted the above article into a translation site ( http://ets.freetranslation.com/ )and it came out with this:

BOGOTA -- The Athletic National has set price in two million dollars the value of the sports rights of its player Freddy Grisales, intended by various teams of the world.

The president of the team of Medellín, Silvio Mejía, said that they will not accep or consider the offer of loan.

'' Athletic National and Freddy are not interested in an eventual loan'', indicated.

'' Totono'' Grisales, of 28 years and member of the selection of Colombia, originally was intended for the Boca Juniors of Argentina and Sao Paulo of Brazil, in full semifinal Phase of the tournament ending, but there was not a concrete offering.

Grisales, recovered of a wound that botter him in the right shoulder

(interests Sports League university Student of I Remove, in full organization for the Cup Liberators, and to Students of Argentina)

I think I can just about follow that!

20. RobB

RobB New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Birmingham
    Hey, you edited my post, made it more intelligable.

I might use that translator site more often, even though it comes up with some wierd sentences. By the way, does Boca Juniors really translate as Young Mouths?

Anyway, the BBC`s South American football correspondent looks at Grisales.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/3408287.stm

21. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yup, that's what he does for atl. nacional, bastard :) takes off, and if no one brings him down, he'll run like hell, rip thru the defense, and either score or pass or shoot and miss...he did that against Argentina, but Caballero (golie) was able to stop his shot....

22. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    boca jrs = young mouths

yes, to a dictionary call, but the real thing is: Boca is a large neighborhood in Buenos aires (good airs) that put together many pibes (young ones) long time ago and became a futbol club.

La Boca is at the entrance of Buenos aires.....in other words that neighborhood is the mouth of a big city.

did I make sense? or made it worse?

23. RobB

RobB New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Birmingham
    Yes, it made sense, thanks for that. So I suppose Pibe#10 is not called Pibe. Or is it not an unusual name? For example I understand Junhino means little one. And there are at least two footballers I know called Juninho.

24. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    right, the real "El Pibe" = Carlos Valderrama
    El Pibe#10 = Carlos M. Fernandez (me) heehee..

25. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Newcastle wanted Grisales?

Aston Villa manager David O'Leary is being urged by Colombian international striker Juan Pablo Angel to bag trialist Freddy Grisales.
    The midfielder, who is at Villa Park on a week's trial from Atletico Nacional, was a reported target of Newcastle United back in 2001.

Angel is well aware of Grisales's exploits from their time in the Colombia national team, and is hoping his short stay in England can be made permanent.

"Freddy is a good player. He is good with the ball, has great technique and is a fine passer," explained Angel.

"He plays for the Colombian national team and is over at Villa for a trial - but hopefully we can sign him permanently."

I didn't know that....