Total Soccer Show

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Pragidealist, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Bay area has remained immune for the most part. I'm guessing the education and immigrant level has a lot to do with it.

2. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I miss the Two G's.

3. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure how. The Bay is certainly cosmopolitan, and there are a lot of good schools around. But I don't know how that would translate into a less 'affected' speech pattern.

Not to mention, isn't California sort of stereotypically "campy"? Certainly if you walk around Castro long enough, you'll hear a lot of it...

4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, Daryl Grove is about to lose his lengthy battle with cancer. His liver failed & he's going into hospice.

He did a great job on the Total Soccer Show w/ Taylor Rockwell, bringing levity, nuance, & passion for the sport in America.

Already missed him on the show in recent months/years, & condolences to his family.

5. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is sad. I haven’t listened for awhile but hoped he was going to make it. Damn...

6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Incredibly sad for someone to die so young in any case.

Soccer-specific, Daryl might not have been born in America, but I can't think of someone who would enjoy this renaissance of talent the US is having more.

TSS and Daryl in particular, have been a great joy since I discovered them. Strong analysis, no knee-jerk reactioning, but more importantly, a true love of the sport and each other.

They were the antithesis of shock jock sports broadcasting, and I really was looking forward to listening to them in a World Cup the US was in.

It doesn't look good, but hospice isn't always final. Perhaps I am just showcasing some Daryl Grove-style optimism, but I'm okay with that.

7. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Sad, tragic, unjust.

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Daryl always seemed like the kind of guy you'd like to have as a friend. He brings a genuine quality you don't see much in soccer analysts. I hope we get more like him in the game.

gogorath and thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  9. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started listening to Daryl and Taylor when they joined The Athletic's podcast network. Daryl has the most unique English accent I've ever heard (or it's just the ideal conversation of voice and accent). Many of the other soccer podcasts to which I now listen were a direct result of those hosts (like Jason Davis of The Best Soccer Show and Adam Belz of Scuffed) first being on TSS.

I can't bring myself to listen to Taylor's update from this weekend - I know Taylor's emotions would cause me to lose it as well.

From @gogorath - "Perhaps I am just showcasing some Daryl Grove-style optimism, but I'm okay with that." May we all strive to have more Daryl Grove-style optimism in our lives. The world would be a heck of a lot better place.

sXeWesley and gogorath repped this.
  10. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, Taylor Rockwell announced this morning on the TSS feed that Daryl passed away. American soccer definitely lost one of its biggest fans, and the world lost some positivity and optimism that we can all use right now.

sXeWesley, TheRightPants, neems and 5 others repped this.
  11. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RIP Daryl Grove

12. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    RIP Daryl Grove. Definitely a case of the good die young. I can't listen to people who seem like A-holes in real life. Daryl was the opposite. A joy to listen to.

13. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This really hurts. Daryl was infectiously positive and shared a lot of great perspective/content from local soccer up to the international stage.

It's actually been tough for me to play TSS regularly without him.

14. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Brutal, just brutal, I was amazed at their sunny approach in references to what was happening, but maybe that was just because my life has been touched in recent years by a lot of tragedies w/young people (former students passing away in their twenties, two teacher colleague's in their thirties dying, one due to a rare form of cancer, another in a head on collision w/someone who was on the wrong side of the road at night), and now w/Covid, just very worried in general, so I had really hoped things would work out.

Thoughts go out to him and his family and friends, I hope time can assuage if not entirely heal the heartbreak of losses of this nature for them.

sXeWesley, neems and Winoman repped this.
  15. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I listened to TSS when I was just getting into following soccer. I waited everyday for the new episodes to drop and did so for a few years. I think the only way I can explain why I kept going back is because of Taylor and Daryl's personalities. They were present, pensive, and unrelentingly positive, something that you don't expect from a show about our little niche part of the sports world.

Daryl's affect on people can be summed up by the reaction to his passing. I hope he's at peace. I feel for Taylor and Daryl's family.

sXeWesley, gogorath and neems repped this.
  16. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what has always drawn me to the show as well. I know we can be a cynical lot as USNT fans. Plus, when I used to listen to sports talk radio, I'd sometimes walk away thinking "how can they be so negative about things??" It was hard to not come away from a TSS show with Daryl where I at least felt a little better about things. Taylor still does a really good job of staying upbeat, but even he admits he's just a little less positive than Daryl has been. Taylor has been a rock through the last week or so. I have no idea how he's done it, and I hope he knows that many of us will continue to listen and support him as he grieves along with Daryl's family.

17. Method

Method Member

United States
    Aug 20, 2018
    Rip. This really hurt. Daryl was such a great positive us soccer fan. Just so much enjoyment he brought to his work.

18. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    If Daryl can read this...

You made my life better.

Thank you.

RIP

19. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Did I hear Saint Peter open the pearly gates and say, "heeeello and welcome"

hoys, RefIADad, gogorath and 3 others repped this.
  20. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in a perfect West Midlands accent . . . :)