Total potential available talent pool

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by schwuppe, Apr 12, 2013.

1. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    I tried to determine the total potential available talent pool using the birth rate from different counties the year 1940 - 1990 for every 5 year span. (took the average for 5 years)
    I didn't blindly put players in one 5 year span though and sometimes rounded up/down when players where born in a 5 year span but 53-58 instead of 55-60 for example.

Assumed the following:
    - Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany, Netherlands and UK were included throughout
    - France was includeded from 1950 - now
    - Denmark was included for 55-,60- for having the Elkjaer, Laudrup brothers, Schmeichel...
    - Portugal was included for 1940 (Eusebio etc.) then disappeared until 1970 (Figo generation) - now
    - Spain 1970- now
    - Poland 45-, 50- from Deyna till Boniek (technically 45 - 57 would be more accurate)
    - Peru 50-
    - Hungary 40- (Albert, Bene..)
    - Belgium 55-
    - Yugoslavia & Romania 65- (Bulgaria 65- was the most borderline)
    - Czechoslovakia 70-
    - UdSSR (more precisely Moscow/Kiew) from 1940-1950. Relevant player nearly all Moscow based.

There are some who are debatable or slightly missed the cut. Your opinions please.

Following issues:
    -Some numbers are rough estimations, but 5k more or less are irrelevant for the result. (So are some smaller countries actually...)
    - The younger generations who are still in their 20s are based on projection using the once from 1980. I can see some being added/removed retrospectivly.
    - Obviously it is hard to put it into numbers how popular the game was through history and how many people actually tried to persue a career.
    - Regional differences are only taken into account in the Soviet Union. I believe there aren't any worth mentioning though, except for France (?).
    - I didn't consider immigration which plays a bit part for younger generations in Germany.
    - I didn't know exactly how to add Africa. Starting 65-now, spread among several countries, changing frequently. It would be a big exaggaration just taking the overall numbers from Nigeria for example as most player are from a few selected cities in Africa.

[​IMG]

Yellow is the Brazilian birth rate, the Red one shows the other nations combined.
    The percentage represents the increase compared to the lowest value which was 1940 for both.
    Remember Africa is not included.

Constructive criticism appreciated.

Lucas..., RoyOfTheRovers and PuckVanHeel repped this.
  2. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Would you say that the 1950-1955 European generation is possibly one of the more competitive ones in European history?

What do you mean with this exactly? That you put them somewhere else as their birth year?

3. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Based on the graph?
    It seems to not work that way or how is it possible that Brazil claims to have produced their best ever team despite having half the people than in later years.
    What are explanations for this?