Total crisis in the Spanish WNT following elimination

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Patchouli, Jun 22, 2015.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, I guess so... Basically, he's paid to do nothing, except insulting players... La vida cómoda.

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I guess the girls should look for some political support and to spread info about their situation in the society. After all, gender equality is a typically political theme and it's not neutral.

Also, without a strong support by the public opinion, I am afraid they will keep bouncing against the wall of their sexist and self-referential federation, where they apparently can get no back-up by anybody.

3. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think the quote "Who acts like a real woman and gets me some coffee?" says it all.

Guinho and blissett repped this.
  4. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leading up to the WWC, this information was given about Spain's coach: He didn't know there was women's football in Spain until he was offered the coaching position. That tells you all you need to know about Spain's federation and their coach in terms of support for women's football.

Guinho, JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett repped this.
  6. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    The problem goes way beyond Quereda. It starts up at the top, Villar, and the general gender culture in Spain.

kool-aide and blissett repped this.
  7. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dayum

What inspired this complaint?

Some things had gone very wrong because [the players] were more concerned that the manager not scream at them, that he not tell them they were fat ... it depended on how you approached him.

It bothered them that he told them they were fat?

You see, there were players who were a bit overweight, but there are many ways to say it. These things have to be said with some delicacy.

8. Patchouli

Patchouli Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Valencia, Spain
    #33 Patchouli, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    Vicente Temprado resigned from his position yesterday. It seems Quereda is going to quit too unless Villar rejects his resignation and apply for another job in RFEF, but before doing it he wants to defend himself. RFEF will meet the players next Thursday.

Source: http://www.marca.com/2015/06/27/futbol/futbol_femenino/1435398493.html

A cartoon by Carlos Belmar (@anticronica):

Detailed report for Angelito. "Mi trip to Canada"
    - Me
    - Kid missing!!!

[​IMG]

blissett, gricio61 and And G repped this.
  9. Patchouli

Patchouli Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Valencia, Spain
    #34 Patchouli, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    By the way, the dog in the cartoon is actually Villar's dog :ROFLMAO: When Villar goes on a trip he asks Quereda to take care of his dog, and he has taken it to several get-togethers. Source: http://futbol.as.com/futbol/2015/06/26/seleccion/1435283657_369210.html

The coach next to Quereda is Jorge Vilda, who might become his successor. He has won two U17 Euros and a 2nd (2014) and 3rd place (2010) in the U17 World Cup.

[​IMG]

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  10. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Vilda also impressively took their U19's to the final last year.

The interesting thing about the Spanish system is their support teams travel around with all teams. They go from tournament to tournament regardless of age/gender. The staff at the women's U19 last summer had come right from Brazil with the men.

gricio61 repped this.
  11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I closely followed U-17 WWC last year, when Spain only lost to Japan (both at group stage and in the final). I much appreciated Jorge Vilda's work and (although I could be wrong, because it was just an impression), by looking at him and hearing what she was saying in interviews, I had the feeling that he was a cool guy, that he was getting along well with the girls and especially that he was respecting them as much as the opponents.

You surely know the situation better than us, Patchouli: what do you think, the impression I had about Vilda during last year u-17 WWC in Costa Rica was right or wrong? :cautious:

12. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any update on this? Fox didn't deem this worthy to cover in its nightly "Fox World Cup Tonight" program.

13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    debzy, gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  14. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It would be great!

15. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Credit to @StarCityFan for alerting me on Twitter, but:

(That says that Del Rio has been awarded the Bronze Medal for Sport, and the link says that Vero has as well, among several dozen other Spanish athletes)

gricio61, blissett, lil_one and 2 others repped this.
  17. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    WHAT A GREAT NEWS!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:...VICTORY!!!:thumbsup:;)

blissett repped this.
  18. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Very happy with how things turned out. :cool: Basically, Federation had to give the girls' Quereda's head, finally.

I hope Vilda will confirm being the cool guy I thing he is: anyway, a new era for Spanish women's football has begun.

20. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen quotes from several Spanish players, including Boquete, saying they have a high opinion of Vilda.

blissett repped this.
  21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As I said above, I had a very good impression of him when he was interviewed by FIFA-TV at U-17 WWC, last year: he looked serious and prepared, but not conceited at all and he seemed to have a strong leadership as well as a nice relationship with the girls on the team... What you just said about Spanish players' reactions nothing but confirms the impression I had got. :thumbsup:

gricio61 and debzy repped this.
  22. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes, I like the way he interact with his players during the game and after no matter if it's a victory or defeat, you could clearly see he has a great relation with them. So happy for the Spaniard who imo are serious contenders for the next EURO , they did what France should have done with Bini long time ago...but our players (Bompastor aside) lacked the courage to do it.

23. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to the Spanish WNT. I am sure they will go on to do great things with a decent coach.

cpthomas and blissett repped this.