Toronto's name is...

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by Brian in Boston, Apr 3, 2006.

1. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Not in North America it doesn't. Why would you add "City" to a place name if City isn't already included (a la NYC and Kansas City). It only "makes sense" if you're desperate to be able to call your team "city" just like they do in England.

But you know what: I don't care whether a name makes sense. Few people have any kind of grip on (or care) why the Knicks are the Knicks, why the Packers are the Packers, and so on.

I'm now convinced that the worth of an idea has absolutely no relation to how much criticism it receives on BigSoccer. People here will bitch about anything. There is no perfect name.

2. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    What about making it RED and White?
    Can you make the logo red and white (with a red leaf)

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It is true that the aesthetic status of any name is not universally accepted. However, can't we agree that it is poor form to bask in the borrowed glory of another? After all, that is why trademark law exists.

4. santeroatomico

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    Like me I trademarked my name and now I make millions of all the people in the world that use my name. The trick is to make sure they were born after you.:D

5. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    I'm pretty sure trademark law exists because of the potential that you'd cause harm to the trademark holder's business.

I think some here are mistaking their subjective reaction to a name for a rational argument. I can see your point about attempting to borrow glory. I think that's legit-- I don't like RSL because I think it's a ridiculous attempt to share in reflected glory without having any relation as to why the term "Real" is used.

But even with RSL, I don't think the name has a huge effect. The jerseys are still pretty cool. It seems like a fair number of people have bought merchandise. Even with the absolute worst, most non-sensical name, the club seems to be doing just fine on the business side of things.

I think "Inter Toronto" does share some of the same problems, but to a much lesser extent than RSL. And if poor RSL isn't hurt much by it, I tend to think that the name doesn't matter much.

6. Tend to agree that the name is not what is going to make or break the franchise. The quality of soccer and to a lesser extent the stadium are the key factors that will determine whether MLS in Toronto sinks or swims and I'm very much an optimist on both those counts FWIW. A key concern with Inter as a name would clearly be whether supporters of other serie A clubs would be put off but as has been pointed out on another Toronto MLS forum that is probably less of a factor with second and third generation Italian-Canadians who would be the key demographic on that given that large scale immigration to southern Ontario from Italy was pretty much over by the late 1970s.

http://s15.invisionfree.com/U_Sector/index.php?showtopic=105&st=75

PS No prizes for guessing what name I would prefer.

7. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    I definitely agree that other Serie A fans' potentially hostile reaction to "Inter" is a legit concern.

But I also think that the Italian immigrants who would care the most are also the same people who are most aware of the generic "international" meaning of Inter, rather like Barcelona fans wouldn't be upset by a team named "Real" because, well, Real simply means "Royal". That's a complete guess, though, and reasonable people can differ.

8. yure323

yure323 New Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Necropolis
  9. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    "Metros" is available now.

"Croatia" modifier optional.

10. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    And so we could have in 2009:

New York Red Bulls
    Philadelphia Red Devils
    Toronto Reds

Thinking back to the Quebec Nordiques of NHL martyrdom, is there some political connotation with the term Northmen? Or is it purely geographical?

11. santeroatomico

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    I read somewhere that the Red Bulls are going to be called the Red Bull Cosmos

12. sickboy

sickboy New Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Toronto
    I think Toronto City is pretty awesome.

13. gassian

gassian New Member

Apr 18, 2006
    hello,
    could anyone tell me how i can find games to download and watch?
    thanks

14. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mlsnet.com "sights and sounds" tab

15. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is pretty funny. You bitch about a name someone likes, and accuse BS'ers of bitchiness all in the same post.

Skillfully done.

16. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    11.9986 km from BMO Field
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Evidently we are all wasting keystrokes according to MLSE’s soccer guy. He suggested on the Toronto supporter’s website that there good explanation for why Inter was registered and other names were not. He didn’t elaborate as to what those reasons were, but there you have it.

Read for yourself if you are interested:
    http://s15.invisionfree.com/U_Sector/index.php?showtopic=137&st=0

The team has started a “name the thing” web poll if you are interested:

https://www.torontoprosoccer.com/Register.jsp

17. IncanRob

IncanRob New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    Tampa, FL
    Has anyone ever thought about maybe just maybe...using SC in a name instead of FC. It is called soccer, not football on this side of the pond afterall.

Heck I'm sure there has to be a Peruvian or 2 living in Toronto...why not just name them after a Peruvian club. That way you won't upset any Europeans

Toronto Alliance
    Sporting Toronto
    University of Sports Toronto, aka The U

18. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    IMHO, the most likely bottom line?

* Major League Soccer and Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment both came to an agreement that the new team be named Inter Toronto FC. Hence, the reason that said name was the only one filed with both the Canadian Intellectual Property Office and the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

* Toronto FC and Toronto Northmen FC were both brands that MLSE had considered as candidates, but neither thrilled MLS officials. Hence, the reason that neither name was filed with the USPTO.

* When it was leaked that Inter Toronto FC was going to be the name of MLSE's new MLS franchise, fan reaction was decidedly less than enthusiastic. MLSE was forced to scramble in order to save face and appease fans who thought the Inter Toronto FC brand was absolute shite. Hence, the cryptic comments about why some names needed to be registered and others did not, as this gives the impression that MLSE and MLS hadn't made a final decision. The reality? If you want a brand trademark-protected you file for registration with the appropriate agencies - in this case CIPO and USPTO. If a name didn't initially appear with either agency, it wasn't a serious candidate.

In short, Toronto's MLS franchise was going to be Inter Toronto FC until fan reaction was revealed to be dead-set against such a brand. Now, team management is scrambling to make it appear as though the Inter Toronto FC brand was never a done deal and that MLSE and MLS have always been open to fan input. Time will tell if the powers-that-be are truly open to fans having a say in the branding process or are simply appeasing the fanbase with the appearance of including them in the process.

Bear in mind, the results of a "Name the Team" contest should be taken with the proverbial grain of salt. On the one hand, an ownership group can tell you that the results are whatever they wished them to be. After all, it isn't as though there's government oversight of a "Name the Team" poll.

On the other hand, even if ownership accurately tabulates votes in a "Name the Team" poll, they are by no means bound by the outcome. Witness the results of the poll Sports Capital Partners conducted in Utah. If memory serves me, the top vote-getter was Highlanders. Utah's MLS franchise is Real Salt Lake.

19. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

Oh and New York Red Bulls is such a great name isn't it?

Ok Red Balls.