Pre-match: Toronto Maple Leafs v. D.C. United

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DecadeOfDCU26, Jun 15, 2017.

1. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I'd be surprised if a dollar of the sponsorship money is left after weekly expenses not covered by usual income are paid. Add progress payments for the stadium construction and what has to be exorbitant salaries (based on performance) to everyone drawing a check in the organization and there's nothing in the till.
    RFK's glory days are totally a function of the glory brought to it by the teams who played there. If the stadium could speak for itself it would be happier with a fast but dignified death.t deserves better than the slow torture of DC United bringing such disgrace this season

UnitedBorn and Winoman repped this.
  2. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Of course you can blame them.

JRHokie, Rick77, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  3. jeromelewis70

jeromelewis70 New Member

DC United
    United States
    Jun 17, 2017
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    might agree except that even average players and teams can get better and we don;t. obviously we need to invest but there is nothing special about our staff other then Benny bleeds our colors.

Winoman repped this.
  4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not suggesting their were better options, just that this lineup would lose.

5. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I must respectfully disagree. Hamid. The rest of the roster you are correct sir.

6. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I blame Kasper and Ashton..................but you know that. ;):D

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  7. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    1. No one in their right minds buys a jersey with a keepers name on it
    2. Hamid has peaked, he doesn't seem to be getting better or worse at any particular skill. This is good for his save potential and bad for the other 50% of his job, distribution.
    3. Every game you worry he reinjures himself or decides to leave. Like Acosta, I think you have to believe they have one foot out the door if the right opportunity arises.
    4. Hamid has proven that having a "A" keeper doesn't matter much when every other facet of your team is a "D" at best. You can get by with an "A" defense or an "A" offense and "D" at other roles but keeper doesn't turn the tide.

8. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the way you phrased it made me think you were saying there were better options

9. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #84 roadkit, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Didn't we spend a shit ton of money on Gallardo? Remember him? I'm not convinced more money is going to change things. If the players we have aren't engaged, that's on the coach.

Frankly, every time Olsen gets interviewed on TV, he says the same shit. I'm sure it's the same in the locker room. After a while the same speeches about grit and determination lose their ability to inspire. Maybe he just needs to start benching people and play loaners from Richmond.

10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could have phrased it better.

11. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1. Some people do, most don't you are correct
    2. He has only improve slightly, IMHO, the last three years but he has improved. There are still flaws in his game but they are minor to me. His distribution is much better than it originally was. It is no longer a liability.
    3. You do worry about his injury status. He tends to get hurt once a year.
    4. He does need better players around him.

As an aside I think that has been part of Birbaum's problem this year. The quality of the defenders he has to play with have dragged down the level of his game. Look how much better he looks with the Nats.

Winoman and shammypants repped this.
  12. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    But is it 50-50, 90-10, a more united like 0-0?

shawn12011 repped this.
  13. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had the same thoughts. When you hear him speak, you have no idea which games it's for because it's the same thing after every game. The lack of cohesion, grit, determination, etc. is down to a lack of good tactical preparation as well as the team having tuned the coaching staff out. While the talent on this team is not great, a better coach could at least get some more respectable results out there. This is just plain crap.

Winoman repped this.
  14. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I agree with here but how would DC United find a better coach? I've yet to see anyone explain this.

shawn12011 repped this.
  15. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd imagine the same way the "could" find better players, but won't. They'd have to spend money. That's why DC won't.

16. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Even if they were willing to spend more money do you think the current ownership/FO really knows the difference between a good manager and a bad one? My feeling is that this is Olsen's last but only chance would get DCU a better manager. DCU may end up with a worse one.

shawn12011 repped this.
  17. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Olsen has a worse overall record and less awards than every DC United coach ever (let's exclude onalfo). Soehn and Nowak were both trashed on big yet gave us an MLS cup, two supporters shields and an open cup. Rongen got us a cup and shield and arena was arena. Olsen (barely) gave us an Open Cup and we played horribly and got lucky to do it.

We have to start from that position: that Olsen is the worst coach United has had and is among the worst coaches in the league from the last 5 years. Other coaches with better records than him were fired for far less. Its possible we could do worse, but there is evidence to suggest other teams have found decent form under new coaching. These aren't bankbreaking guys either.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  18. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Other teams have done better but none of these ownerships are going to be picking managers for DC United. With the exception of Olsen, all of the management changes were made under AEG. Back in the day complaining was made about AEG but I don't think anyone thinks that their day-to-day stewardship of teams is worse than our current ownership.

Winoman repped this.
  19. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    Olsen also has had the least amount of help from the FO. With what we have compared to the league, there is not one manager who would do much better.

Murrdcu, fatbastard and shawn12011 repped this.
  20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

THANK YOU OH MERCIFUL GODS!! Someone who gets it!

21. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Agreed. If you gave Manchester United to Olsen, they'd be fine. If you gave DC United to Mourinho, they'd be total shit.

Now I don't totally agree that Olsen doesn't get help from the FO. I think they've settled on a strategy that usually works out OK for them: staff the team with grizzled castoffs with a chip on their shoulder and a sprinkling of kids plus Hamid playing superman, get into the playoffs and go on a 4-game non-losing streak. It just didn't work out this season because both wings have been terrible and nobody can score a damn goal.

bigredfutbol and shawn12011 repped this.
  22. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Tinder.

Boloni86 and Winoman repped this.
  23. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olsen has his flaws. He has a poor record. However based upon this piss poor roster Conte, Sir Alex, nor Klopp would succeed. Hamid is the only player on this team that would take a starting job elsewhere in MLS. Psst in case you missed it when you start with poop you cannot call it chicken salad.

24. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What's Tinder??? :confused:

I'm 48 so I am not up on all these cool new things.

25. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's a mobile app for 20-somethings to get some ass

DCU tried to sell tickets on it earlier this season or last season which is why I believe it was brought up

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.