Pre-match: Toronto FC v. DC United

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Untroubled by Reason, Jul 22, 2016.

1. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at the positive...DC's helping Giovinco breakout of his dry spell just before the All Star game against Arsenal.:D

I guess Drogba received the same treatment.

shawn12011 repped this.
  2. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Unicorns jumping over Rainbows thread?

Winoman repped this.
  3. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    oops

4. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Some people still suggest we're "close to crossing the red line" again but their perspective is just wrong, the teams below us are actually just close to passing us.

Theopisa and Winoman repped this.
  5. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    OK, looking at it realistically one point is the best we could have expected tonight, and we didn't get (or deserve) that. With 2 points in 4 games the long road trip was a disaster. The season now hinges on a month of August (counting the 7/31 game) in which we play 5 of 6 at home before embarking on a 3 game road trip. It's make or break - we need at least 9 points (1.5 ppg) for a decent chance to make the playoffs. Absent that we enter September mathematically alive but practically dead.

6. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Playoffs??? Who thinks this team deserves to be in the playoffs?

7. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #82 morrissey, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Next time someone wants to shit on me for my lack of faith and overall negativity I am going to point to this game, season, decade and then lay the ********ing ban hammer down.

I don't need to be called out for calling it like I see it.

You want positivity?

The burden of proof is on you to prove to me why after 20+ years of fandom (starting at age 16) I am not entitled to shit on the goddam abscess of a franchise.

Like any love/hate relationship I'm in it for the long hall and will never stop watching.

This shit is bad. I can't watch the rest of MLS because it just makes us look worse than the steaming pile of feces that I see in front of me.

I feel sorry for Sam and Mullins.

Theopisa, bct81, shawn12011 and 3 others repped this.
  8. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    It's not about deserving, the league and more specifically conference is a shitshow. You can stumble into the playoffs without trying, but we're under the red line. We probably will find enough footing to make it in, which doesn't say much.

9. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I don't see where the points will come from. Maybe the Chicago game. Montreal just crushed Philly (which is still a pretty good team despite their recent dip in form). Portland is too speedy and dynamic for us to handle. NY will be ready to exact their revenge for that game earlier this season... Unless Bill manages to steal us a bunch of points it's hard to imagine.

10. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The positives are that we still managed to generate some offense despite looking like garbage. that's a plus. and Sam was definitely a part of that, which is another plus.

Now, will we keep the same lineup long enough to develop some chemistrHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Not really ... We suck at home too ... This team has dropped a bunch of points at RFK already ... Not to mention a 'home' game in Boyds where we get eliminated by a minor league team.

12. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps the training staff can make use of this exemplary coaching technique.

Winoman repped this.
  13. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have any stats over the years that show how DC United stacks up in terms of injured players, etc.

I tend to agree with those who say we have a shitty training staff and that they are a big part of the problem with injuries -- but I've got no proof. It just seems logical.

Anyone got the smoking gun?

14. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Concur, the match was over barring divine intervention in the 84th minute except in Dave's mind. Jet lag? Confusion with hoops where a free throw and a 3 pointer were all United needed?

15. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Well in all fairness if the man shot was a NY City FC player, DC United may give him a raise... :D

16. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    It just looks bad because he doen't have very fall to fall

17. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But we'd probably sign him a month later because he knew how to hold up play.

JRHokie and Oveki8 repped this.
  18. kirchhausen

kirchhausen Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honk a lot of the injury problems will happen due to the nature of the team.

When your teams philosophy is to try to recycle veteran players and revive their careers, many of them are going to have bodies that are worn down. Not saying we have the greatest training staff in the world (I have no idea how good they are) but look what they have yo work with.

superdave repped this.
  19. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Kamara out with a hammy is his real "welcome to the club".

I think all teams have a lot of injuries. It's probably not very easy to determine if we have more injuries than anyone else.

20. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Justice and fairness would indicate that the team needs to be relegated.

But without pro/rel the owners just sit around and wait for the stadium with this team because maybe their ROI elsewhere is less than 3 percent a year.

For the life of me unless there is some huge tax break I don't know why Thohir is the owner. Certainly it isn't because he has passion for the team.

I am so envious of Portland. They have a stadium, a team, and an owner that gives a shit.

After supporting this team since year one, I am done.

JRHokie repped this.
  21. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Sorry to read that...

22. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes I feel that way but I can't quit the team.

Oveki8 and Winoman repped this.
  23. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I doubt he was whining about his eye - pointing to your eye is a sort of universal (in this multilingual sport) way to tell the referee to watch for something.

So when Olsen says he doesn't think anyone had a bad game, does that mean nobody played worse than usual?

Winoman repped this.
  24. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Low Bar.

25. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe I am wrong but I honestly hope we won't qualify, I'd rather take that over seeing NJRB dance on our coffin once more.