Toronto FC II 2020 Season in USL League One

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RocketRobin, Jan 15, 2020.

1. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  2. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    USL League One posted a statement that they will restart on July 18th.

https://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/1108208

Reads very America-centric. I can't see any games in Toronto. League e-mail come from Tampa so likely they will play in Florida. There are only 12 teams so should be easier to schedule than MLS.

3. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    ^ So far as TFC is concerned, I don't think it matters very much. Their USL games are pretty poorly attended. They're running the team for development, not profit. It may not even make much difference cost-wise for them to stay in Florida versus travelling a lot and opening up their home stadium for the small number of fans that do attend.

4. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    https://www.uslleagueone.com/news_article/show/1111806 July 2nd, 2020

USL League One announced their schedule. 12 teams. Play one team ("regional rival") four times, one team 0 times, seven teams twice, two teams once each. 20 game season. Regular season between July 18th to October 24th One game final October 31st between first and second place team.

To 'cut travel expenses' TFC II's regional rival is new boys New England Revolution II and their omitted team is South Georgia (by geography it should be Tucson Arizona) and Orlando and Fort Lauderdale are further south than Georgia but...

Sounds like the teams will play 'home' games in their own cities. Hmm Florida and Texas teams are in this league. I wonder if there will be trouble at the airport with any team (all the teams except TFC II are in the US).

I also wonder if the TFC training ground in Downsview will be used. With their usual crowds from last year of about 150, the fans could certainly social distance easily enough but we'll probably be banned.

The dates the teams will play will be announced shortly.

5. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  6. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
  7. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Some of suggested loan players to CPL teams. A few months ago TFC II defender Robert Boskovic was loaned out for the entire season to Cavalry FC.

Might be nice to loan out one player to each of the eight teams. Expecting only Canadian players would be loaned out. I wouldn't suggest more as the MLS club must play a compressed schedule for this tourney plus a compressed regular season and playoffs. The MLS club has been allowed an increased roster so some TFC II 'regulars' are already down in Florida now.

8. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I guess it would depend on how this would affect the development of the players. Based on the level of play, this would be for the better TFC II players. Then it's a tricky balance between getting time with the first team and being loaned out to the CPL. First team time is preferable if a player can get it, but many won't. Being on the first team but getting no time is less useful than a loan.

Perhaps as time goes on we'll get some history as to how well loanees reintegrate with the first team. So far there is not a good history of players who are loaned out actually coming back to the first team.

9. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I posted this to another message board when asked about TFC II players being loaned to CPL teams. I'd say maybe one per team (ie eight).

I can think of five players from last year's TFC II team who have now signed TFC MLS pro contracts. Now I wouldn't expect them to break into the MLS team but since the pros are in a tourney now, there'll be a compressed regular season followed by playoffs. I'd expect there'll be a lot of two games per week especially with TFC not being given a bye to the semi-finals this year to the Canadian Championship like previous years. That would mean six games instead of four. I expect the five subs allowed per game rule will be extended until the end of the season. I won't count MLS contract to drop down like Jacob Shaffelburg last year.

So those players are defenders Julian Dunn age 19, and Rocco Romeo age 20

midfielders Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty age 16 (youngest ever TFC pro), Noble Okello age 19 (named to full CMT last year)

forward Jayden Nelson age 17

So that leaves a few good players, forward Jordan Perruzza age 19 who finished second in the scoring race in the USL League One with 15 goals.

Selfishly I'd like to see midfielder Luca Petrasso age 20 join his brother Michael on York 9.

Midfielder Luke Singh age 19 is listed on the TFC II subwebsite as being 'loaned out' but I've read elsewhere that his deal to Brondby Denmark ended in December 2019.

I also don't expect CPL would be interested in their six or so non Canadians.

Also remember that defender Robert Boskovic is loaned out to Cavalry FC for the 2020 season (last year he was on a season long loan to Ottawa Fury in the USL but ranked one level higher than the USL level that TFC II played in).

https://www.torontofc.ca/players/squad/tfcii Here's the squad listing!

10. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    ^ Your point is well taken that, this year anyway, the youngsters are likely to get more first team time because of the compressed schedule.

I know less about Vancouver and Montreal's youth systems, but TFC certainly has a crop of promising youngsters (Okello and Nelson both capped on the full NT already). They could do well as CPL loanees if there isn't room on TFC. Really, so long as they're developing, the where matters less.

11. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    TFC II loans out two non-Canadian players to American USL teams:
    Goalie Eric Klenofsky
    https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2020/09/02/toronto-fc-ii-loan-eric-klenofsky-tacoma-defiance USL Championship level
    midfielder
    https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2020/09/02/toronto-fc-ii-loan-adolfo-ovalle-forward-madison-fc USL League One (same level as TFC II)
    Unlike the Canadians loaned to Canadian Premier League teams, these players are going to American teams. My idea is they will be in the USA so when Toronto FC starts playing US MLS teams, they can be called up to whatever US city TFC is stationed in. Remember larger rosters so they at least can be on the bench.