Torneo Apertura 2010. Who will win? (R)

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by argentine soccer fan, Aug 2, 2010.

1. 007FcBarcelona

Dec 9, 2010
    Club:
    Reading FC
    :D

[​IMG]

2. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I see where your sympathy comes from, you root for Racing(remember that Racing and Gimnasia are friends), but you're in a difficult situation because in order for Vélez to be the champion or push for a tie-breaker Vélez must defeat Racing.

3. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i think most nuetrals want velez to win. this obviously comes from the hatred for veron, but also desabato who is an awful person, i won't forget his encounter with ortega, nor the one he had with grafite in brazil when he went to jail

4. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Given the scores right now (Velez is winning 1-0, Estudiantes is drawing 0-0), there would be a playoff final between the two.

With that said, both games are still in the first half and there is plenty of time to go.

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Halftime. El burrito Martinez gave Velez the lead 1-0 over Racing. With this score, and Estudiantes still 0-0, it would go to the tiebreaker. Estudiantes looks to be close to scoring, though.

6. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i thought for sure grondona would get his boys to throw this game, but they're doing really well, especially campestrini. grondona has been talking that he wants veron to replace him one day... i really hope arsenal pulls this out

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Almost over and Estudiantes is becoming champion thanks to a goal by Fernandez. It does not matter that Velez is winning 2-0, unless Arsenal can score a late goal.

8. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think la gata actually managed to touch the ball in the first goal.

Anyway, roro Lopez (it had to be an ex-Velez) just scored the second and it's now practically a sure thing the title will go to Estudiantes.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Estudiantes is the champion, and well deserved. No doubt they are the best team of the last couple of years, followed by Velez.

10. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I heard today that Arsenal players were going to get a bonus if they could reach 35 points or something.

The irony López scored twice today a player that Vélez gave away.

11. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i dont like veron, but to think of the joy he has given the fans is incredible. hes given so much to that club, on the field and off it. he built most of their training facilities with his own money and hes a leader on the field. they are lucky to have him. we always talk about playing for the love of the shirt, but veron is one of those that actually does.

when i see veron, and i think about people like Crespo, D'Alessandro, Aimar, Saviola, etc. it makes me furious. i hope one day, an idolo of river realizes that money is not the most important thing and they come home to give us the fans the joy we've been waiting for

12. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Velez > Estudiantes, but then again I'm biased. Althought I'm not going to go as far as saying that Estudiantes sux. I give them their merits.

Isn't it funny how Arsenal seems to always be involved in the culmination of the torneos. Then again it is Grondona's team.

I'm torn regarding Ya Ya Lopez. He has played such a critical role for Velez over the last couple of years but there was an issue of room. Burrito and Cristaldo both were threathening to leave and the dirigentes didn't want to sacrifice either of them. They were younger and probably had more potential, both economically and on the sporting side.

Lopez didn't get a raw deal, he was sent to the 2nd best team in Argentina, which was just crowned champion.

PS. Our light at the end of the rainbow is that we don't end up in the group of death in the Copa Libertadores, like Estudiantes will.

13. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's a small price to pay when you want to become the defacto owner of the club and then proceed on to being the President of AFA.

You can thank Aguilar for that and as it seems Passarella as well. He seems to the Aguilar in disguise. Such a disappointment.

14. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hmm, I don't remember about them being involved that much except that when Estudiantes managed to reach the tie-breaker against Boca in 2006, they defeated Arsenal in the last match.

Anyway, interesting that Estudiantes won the championship not only playing outside their stadium but also playing outside La Plata.

15. Arthur V

Arthur V Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Brasilia, BRASIL
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing"

Unfortunately, I had to root for Velez, but it didn't work well, since Arsenal couldn't break Estudiantes. :(

16. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    well the interesting thing with this whole gimnasia love feast is that they actually gave estudiantes the title by tying velez 0-0 when both teams were tied on points. Wow, they may never live that down

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Velez has a very good team and a well run organization, but how do you figure they are better than Estudiantes? Before I put them up there, I'd like to see them prove their worth internationally.

In the last couple of years Estudiantes won Libertadores and then almost beat Barca. Velez had an easy draw to the Libertadores final this year, and they choked against a Mexican team that was missing several starters.

Looking at the unprecedented chaos that is Argentine football today, (eight champions in the past eight tournaments and the traditional big clubs often flirting with last place), I think the one team that stands out is Estudiantes. Velez is a distant second.

18. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Since 2000 from all possible points attainable in the Argentine Primera:

Velez: 673
    Estu: 649

Conclusion: VELEZ > Estudiantes

If you want to include stats from 1990 this way, it would loom even worse for Estudiantes, with their 2009 Copa Libertadores Cup as their only conquest.

Velez on the other hand.

Copa Libertadores 1994
    Intercontinental 1994
    SuperCopa 1996
    InterAmericana 1994
    Recopa 1997

VS

Copa Libertadores 2009

I'm not so sure how much better Estudiantes is/was/could be than Velez over the past 20 years. If anything their success can be attributed to Verons return in 2006, but prior to that NOTHING.

Also let's not forget the domestic titles in the 90's:

1993 Clausura
    1995 Apertura
    1996 Clausura
    1998 Clausura

VS

NOTHING!

Again Velez, once again proving its worth on the field with TITLES in the modern era of Argentine Futbol!

I won't negate Estudiantes achievement over the past 4 years. They are worth their weight but its ingenious to say that they have acheived more than Velez over the past 20 years much less the past 10.

19. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think anyone is denying Velez's history, nor comparing it to Estudiantes'. The truth is, though, Estudiantes has proven to be a step above el fortin over the last couple of years. It's as simple as that.

Velez is a fantastic team, but Estudiantes have been the most overall solid/structured team in Argentina since 2006.

21. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Copa Libertadores 2010 - 2000 Participations:

Velez 6
    Estudiantes 4

Copa Libertadores 1999-1990 Participations:

Velez 4
    Estudiantes 0

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We are obviously talking about the present, the last couple of years. If you want to bring up past history, of course we all know that there are a few teams in Argentina that have a better history than Estudiantes. But right now I don't see how anybody can argue that they are not the best team in Argentina.

I do think Velez has a very exciting team, especially with el burrito Martinez and Moralez playing the way they're playing, and Silva scoring all those goals. I hope they can keep the group together and do well in Libertadores.

23. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ok so I got carried away, the wound is still fresh but still think that Velez > Estudiantes. Althought they have been very good over the past 4 years.

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hey, I'd be pissed too if I was a Velez fan. They had the team to win it, but they didn't.

25. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We lost the championship when we tied with Gimansia.

This is where I hate the single table and would much rather prefere a playoff type of ending.