Michael Hoyos at LDU Quito (Ecuador)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by keller4president, Jul 26, 2013.

1. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Here's a pic of Michael (on the left):

[​IMG]

2. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Interview with Hoyos posted a few days ago. Any Spanish/Greek translators out there?

Hoyos also started at right-mid (guessing from the line-up) against Dutch side Den Haag yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/ofi.crete

3. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Here's Q+A with Hoyos - sounds like he's not ready to commit to the USA just yet. He's still holding on to the pipe dream that Argentina will call him one day.

You have two nationalities, American and Argentinian. Which of the two national teams will prefer to play?
    Not close any door this time, now thinking OFI. When the time comes to think about it. I can not answer now, is something I do not think right now. Now I only think about my family and OFI.

http://www.gentikoule.gr/podosfairo...in-omada-tin-empistosuni-pou-mou-echei-deixei

Pl@ymaker and Testudo repped this.
  4. El Niño Orgulloso

Jul 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  5. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006

Still too early to make that call. Let's see how he does this year.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  6. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If he does decide to play for the US do you think he'll be good enough to get capped?

7. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006

Um, hell yes. He played for Argentina u-21's...so I'm sure he'll be good enough for the US Nats one day soon (if not already).

8. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Tom Collingsworth, Testudo and USAMEX10 repped this.
  9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think that's wildly optimistic.

If he gets back his pre-injury form then, yes, it's realistic to think he'd get capped by the US if he chose to switch national teams.

However, until he shows he can regain that form it's a stretch to make him sound like a lock for being good enough to play with the US.

LouisZ, INKRO, USvsIRELAND and 3 others repped this.
  10. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is absolutely ridiculous.

onefineesq, Dervos, USvsIRELAND and 5 others repped this.
  11. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006

Ok, who are our superior wing players in Europe right now who can make the friendly in Bosnia? Only legit wing options are Fabian Johnson (who we probably need at LB), Tim Chandler (who we probably need at RB), Josh Gatt (who's injured), Bedoya (who's really more of a center mid) and....who else exactly?

12. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As punishment for this post, you are required to spend the next 45 minutes looking up old U-20 World Cup rosters and following up on the subsequent careers of most players.

13. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006

Are you talking about Argentina's rosters or the USA's? ;)

14. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wooten, Gyau, Wood, Taylor and....that's all I have for right now.

15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Anyone's roster. Plenty of youth stars for countries who develop more talent than the US have fallen flat on their faces and had no career to speak of. Stating that Hoyos is good enough for the US purely on the basis that he played for an Argentinian youth team is flat-out silly. And that's before taking into account his horrible car accident -- from which he's shown no signs of having fully recovered, by the way.

16. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006

Here is a look at the 2007 Argentina u-20's (midfielders and strikers) and where they are now. Don't really see one failure in the bunch (except for perhaps Sanchez playing for the Crew).

Argentina's 2007 u-20 team (Midfielders and Strikers only - current teams)

Sergio Agüero - Man City
    Ángel di María - Real Madrid
    Pablo Piatti - Valencia
    Éver Banega - Valencia
    Claudio Yacob - West Brom
    Maximiliano Moralez - Atalanta (Serie A)
    Mauro Zárate - Velez Sarsfield (Argetina's first division champions - has also plyaed for Inter Milan and Lazio)
    Ariel Cabral - Velez Sarsfield
    Lautaro Acosta - Lanus (Argetina's first div - 4th place)
    Alejandro Darío Gómez - Metalist Kharkiv (Ukraine - 2nd place)
    Damián Escudero - Vitoria (Brazil)
    Matías Sánchez - Columbus Crew

So yes, I think it's safe to say that Hoyos might be good enough to start for us one day.

Chaliaaaj repped this.
  17. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006

Not sure he's fully recovered, but he is training full time with a professional greek team, and starting for them. So he's certainly physically capable of playing.

18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He "might be good enough" is backpedaling from "I'm sure he'll be good enough, if he isn't already".

Citing a list of good players from the 2007 U-20 champions doesn't disprove the fact there are a ton of washouts even at the U-20 level. Hoyos was not on that team, anyway.

It's just ridiculous to fixate on his involvement in youth teams and ignore more recent information, i.e. he's barely gotten on the field, he's accomplished zilch, and he's moving down the hierarchy of clubs.

19. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
  20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    On at the 83rd minute in a game that ended scoreless against Panionios.

Still a long way to go, but it's a step in the right direction.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  21. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Crete lost 2-0, but Hoyos went 90 min. At least we know he's back to full fitness. Now let's hope he can score some goals.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  22. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    How many serious car accidents combined between the entire 2007 u20 squad?

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The good new for this kid is he's healthy enough to go 90 in a good (but not great) European first division.

Given where he was after the car accident, that's a helluva thing.

But I'm sure he has some rust and that will take time to come off. Let's see where he is in a couple of months.

But, it looks like he has chosen a club where he can play (Freddy Adu should hire his agent) and that is so important in this process.

Also, he gets to live in Crete.

24. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    True, but it's still considered a better league than Austria (Boyd), Denmark (Johannson, Goodson and Parkhurst in near past), Sweden (Bedoya until recently) and Norway (Diskeruud), not to mention Scotland (Boca and Edu only two years ago). So if he can perform in Greece, he'll certainly merit national team consideration.