Top Gear vs Fifth Gear

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by qwidgibo, Feb 20, 2010.

?

Is top gear better than fifth gear?

1. Top Gear is better

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Fifth Gear is better

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. qwidgibo

qwidgibo New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Genève, Switzerland
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Who do you think is better? Personally I think top gear is more fun to watch but fifth gear is more informative.

2. RotarySun

RotarySun Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Lima, Peru
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I havent watch a full episode of Fifth Gear ever, just a few clips on internet? . Is it televised globally like Top Gear?

3. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I much prefer Top Gear. But in it's current format it is more of an entertainment program. They are running out of ideas now so I don't think there will be many more series. Plus it has by far and away the highest budget of all the BBC programs.

4. Juan Carlos II

Jan 14, 2004
    Lytham St Annes
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well worth the licence fee though.

5. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I freakin love Top Gear but I've yet to watch Fifth Gear so that I can make an educated vote. I think I won't like it as much as TG because I'm usually not a great fan of car shows that are too factual, I prefer the fun ! :)

6. SportsGuru

SportsGuru New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fun is more factual that is some people say! Top gear is my choice.

7. CheeseAndOatcakes

CheeseAndOatcakes New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I love both for different reasons and I'm not sure a comparison is fair since they aim at different things.

I love 5th gear because it's simply amazing to watch Tiff Needle and Jason Plato two professional drivers of the highest calibre and the fun they have sliding cars around and generally hooning around.

I love Tiff's cheeky approach to life like when the Ferrari guys tell him he isn't to get the tail out and then he 'accidentally' gets the tail out and gets banned from all Ferrari events.

Some typical silliness from the team!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkFD26f_EII"]YouTube- Lexus ISF vs BMW M3 Fifth Gear II[/ame]

They've had a series of other great drivers too like Damon Hill (ex F1) who drives a merc so hard he causes 20k damage and makes the onboard celebrity be sick!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ-MPOUBNMA"]YouTube- Damon Hill driving Mercedes AMG SL55[/ame]

8. qwidgibo

qwidgibo New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Genève, Switzerland
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Top gear is less of a car show and more of an entertainment show. That means it has a wider audience of people who watch it (something like 250,000,000 people worldwide). It is still good fun even if you aren't into cars.

9. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Exactly ! Most of my friends aren't into cars - something that would even be frowned upon - but whenever I show them some Top Gear clip, they seem to enjoy.

10. BoomGP

BoomGP New Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Bangkok
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    I definitely think that Top Gear is better than Fifth gear

11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm just looking forward to the day when someone takes out a contract on that bloody idiot, Clarkson. :D

12. AnxietyCoachJohn

AnxietyCoachJohn Red Card

Nov 23, 2010
    Santa Monica,CA
    AnxietyCoachJohn

top gear and fifth gear are both car programmes but for me the similiarities end with that. Top gear is far more interesting and much more funny. Fifth gear is a little too serious and i much rather watch clarky, hammy and mayay racing about europe or whatever than watch tiff and that other twat who drives the cars and always finishes with “i have just bought one of them”. However the one bright spark for me with fifth gear is vicki she should definetly start wearing some sexier clothing and then maybe get a transfer to top gear and that would just suit me fine

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: AnxietyCoachJohn

Well, as long as you're a 'purist', that's OK then :D

14. laasan

laasan Member

Apr 12, 2010
    nah, Clarkson is great. politically I hardly agree with him on anything, but the world would be a very boring place if we'd all just think alike.
    apart from being very entertaining, he's also surprisingly knowledgeable and interesting, it just doesn't really come across that much in Top Gear. but when he's on QI, he always contributes a lot.