Top 300 European Clubs

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by soccersubjectively, Jan 3, 2019.

1. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been messing around with an idea to match clubelo.com's setup and while I certainly don't have the skills to do what they are doing there, I've compiled matches from all the top leagues in Europe (and some of the second and third divisions) to list the top 300 clubs.

https://www.everybodysoccer.com/eve...to/2019/1/2/top-300-european-club-elo-ratings

I'd like to flesh it out a bit more but it's all on my spare time atm so we'll see where it goes.

If anyone has any questions or thoughts, I'd love to ping ideas around to see what I can make this.

captdf, sbahnhof, L'orange and 2 others repped this.
  2. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    For comparison, the Swedish blogger Spelare12.com publishes a Top 100 European clubs list in January every year. New list out now.

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You either need way more than just one year of data, or you need to really retool all the constants you've put into your Elo rankings (since there is no "one true" Elo system) - there are far too many eye-raising rankings here to put much faith in the "top 300" outside of the top five or six. You don't have a single Spanish club in the top 10, nor a single Russian club in the top 30, and Kazakhstan's #1 above Italy's #1.

The big problem with a ranking like this - at least in the current WoSo climate - is that the UWCL simply doesn't provide enough games per season to be a reliable indicator of interleague strength. The UWCL only tells you things about the clubs that consistently qualify for the UWCL, and even then, applying an Elo system to just one season unduly rewards minnows that do well in the qualifying phase more than it rewards stronger clubs that get bad R32 draws.

If you get the chance, see about including results from as many preseason friendly tournaments as you can. Aside from including more seasons of the UWCL, that'll be the only way to get a somewhat-better picture of how the leagues actually compare to each other outside of the top 1 or 2 teams in each league.

Bauser and blissett repped this.
  4. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey thanks for taking a look at the rankings.

I actually have more than one year, I was just using recent results instead of all-time, which didn't seem relevant for their current rankings. For the larger leagues, I have the last four seasons while smaller leagues (where their GD is +100 or w/e) it's just the last two. It takes (from what I can tell) around 50-70 matches to normalize a rating, depending on how erratic their results are. The top 83 teams haev an average of 74 matches on file for me. (This was pushing Excel a lot, as is)

As for specific issues...

Barcelona (1616) topped Kazakhstan's BIIK Kazygurt (1487) by one goal over two matches in the recent CL matchup. Barcelona also dropped a lot of points (84) at the end of their 2017-18 season with some really underwhelming results. Kazygurt hasn't lost in league play all year (although against inferior competition). A team can't lose points with Elo unless you don't win and they've won 20 of their last 21 matches (the one loss to Barcelona).

Spain as a whole hasn't had a great CL run in a while, with Atletico losing 15-2 over two legs to Wolfsburg in 2017-18 and 10-0 this year.

Russia's representatives have scored a total of two goals over their last eight CL matches.

Italy has been better but Juventus (1471) fell to Brondby (1358) and Fiorentina (1256) didn't score against Chelsea (1765).

You don't pick up a ton of points with Elo for beating a weaker opponent. So for example, BIIK Kazygurt picked up six points for their three wins over their group stage opponents. Pretty minimal. They did, however, snag 51 for beating Barcelona and lost only 32 on the second leg (earning more overall because they were "supposed" to lose, of course).

But in general I agree it'd be nice if there were more CL matches. For any non-top 10 team to match up with a top 5 team, their CL run is over. This is especially unfortunate for top 30 teams who would have the opportunity to steal points from other top 30 teams. It'd be nice if the qualifying round was longer and with less jokers still losing 10-0.

If you know anything about the K values for Elo, I've set them at 40 and 60 for league and CL games. 60 might seem high but it's to offset domestic leagues without parity.

blissett repped this.
  5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ah, well I think that if you're comparing teams within one country, using just recent results might be okay, but when you start trying to compare between leagues, just recent results definitely won't cut it. No matter what Elo system you use, there's essentially a latency period, and unless you play enough games more than that number, the comparison won't be good. So in a domestic league that plays 20+ games per year, great, but when you only get 3-9 UWCL games per year, that's definitely not enough to make a good comparison.

There's a lot to unpack here, but I think the lack of interleague play is really evident here, and maybe there's some cherry-picking going on. Since BIIK is the only Kazakh team to play in Europe and usually makes the R32, it make the rest of its league look much better than they probably are - that is, your comment about winning against inferior competition is true, but I think it's underrepresented in the numbers you have. You have Kazakh's #2 team between Florentina and Umea in the ranking - that's pretty hard to believe.

The fact that your choice of Elo system doesn't let winning teams lose points for nevertheless "underperforming" (or losing teams gain points for "overperforming") is a fair enough choice, but I think for the level of parity (or disparity) in WoSo right now, it's probably a better idea to allow for that level of nudging.

Also, just adding a second year of UWCL results would make the Barca/BIIK comparison much better. Yes, their lone 2 matches against each other this year were pretty evenly split, but look at what happens when you add last year's results: BIIK gains 1 win and 3 losses, including getting absolutely creamed by Lyon, while Barca gains 4 wins and 2 losses, the 2 losses to Lyon being by just 1 goal each. Two of Barca's wins were against Avaldsnes, which I think is also greatly underranked at the moment even if they went out at the R32 in the past two years - simply because they played Barca and Lyon! Teams don't change that much from one year to the next, so having a second (or even third) year, especially for UWCL, seems necessary to me.

Finally, Atletico getting creamed by the #2 overall team two years in a row shouldn't hurt them as much as I think you've let it. Touching back on the over/underperforming concept, I'd be interested to see what your GD adjustments are. Once you get much past a GD of 5, I don't think they should matter at all. Also, I would guess that their draw+win over last year's semifinalists Man City should help them more than it looks like it has...

Yes, but I'd still chalk it up to recency bias. And look at those last four opponents - three of the four were traditionally strong UWCL teams themselves.

Again, I think just looking at one year of UWCL results isn't enough to draw a good comparison. All three of the leagues you mention have a good history of making it past the R32 - so Italian teams losing to those others shouldn't hurt them enough to have the Italian leaders fall beneath BIIK, which has only made it past the R32 once.

Actually I like the look of those K values! You could nuance the system a bit more if you wanted - e.g. have CL knockout games at 60, CL qualifying round games at 40, domestic games for the top leagues at 40, and domestic games for weaker leagues at 30 - but the numbers you have sound pretty good to me already. Aside from the temporal issue preventing sufficient interleague data, I think the biggest thing I worry about with your system is how you handle GD.

blissett and soccersubjectively repped this.
  6. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry, I didn't make that clear. I have CL results from the last four years as well. BIIK Kazygurt has fairly evenly traded points since 2014: -3 over 21 matches, despite going 12-7-2 (WLT). They've also only earned 29 points over the last two years of league play, fwiw.

Florentia is probably too low but I only had 8 games when I compiled the numbers (through December 1st). They will move up quickly. But not sure why Kazakhstan's second best team being on par with a mid-to-low second division Swedish team is out of place..?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any popular Elo systems have it so you can lose points despite a win (minus FIFA's women's international rankings, which is pretty recently new). I'd have to change the formula to allow that, which wouldn't be hard, but 1) not sure what a better formula is and 2) I'm just following suit after the most commonly used ones.

BIIK Kazygurt lost a total of six points from the Lyon thrashing, which isn't that much of a surprise given their Elos were 700 points apart at the time.

Here's Barcelona's recent CL record:

10/4/17 vs. Avaldsnes +4 (1714, +63)
    10/11/17 vs. Avaldsnes +2 (1730, +15)
    11/8/17 vs. Gintra +6 (1728, +5)
    11/15/17 vs. Gintra +3 (1730, +2)
    3/22/18 vs. Olympique Lyonnais -1 (1609, -2)
    3/28/18 vs. Olympique Lyonnais -1 (1607, -4)
    9/12/18 vs. BIIK Kazygurt -2 (1565, -53)
    9/26/18 vs. BIIK Kazygurt +3 (1597, +30)
    10/17/18 vs. Glasgow City +5 (1615, +16)

For a total change of +19. You can see how the February league results really hurt Barcelona going into the 2018-19 CL run.

Good eye on the Manchester City results. I overlooked them thinking back but they were in the formula:

9/13/18 vs. Manchester City 0 (1469, +19)
    9/26/18 vs. Manchester City +2 (1560, +82) !!!
    10/17/18 vs. Wolfsburg -4 (1562, -3)
    10/31/18 vs. Wolfsburg -6 (1554, -11)

I could but at this point I'm pretty happy with the K values. Having 40 > 30 for domestic leagues actually hurts Kazakhstan in the long run. Once they drop a game (they will eventually), they're going to lose 30-50 points instantly, equivalent to the last two years worth of gaining points. Also I don't think minor changes in K values for a handful of games would affect the ratings that much.

blissett repped this.
  7. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To reiterate, if you can show me a better formula than the most commonly used one, I'll definitely take a look at what it does to the results!

8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am not an expert in ELO rankings at all. I just chime in to say that, as an observer of Norway's Toppserien (actually, more of an avid reader of the Norway thread, from our excellent @Bauser), I can tell you that if it's true that Avaldsnes has been unlucky with WCL draws in the last two seasons, it's also true that in 2018 the club actually spiraled down in flames in the local league, compared to the previous season. If in 2017 they were fighting with LSK-Kvinner for the title (it wasn't much close, but it was at least a fight), in 2018 they had abysmal results and at times were even sucked into the relegation brawl at the bottom of the rankings, while LSK-Kvinner was winning the title undisturbed with an almost perfect record, OL-like.

Just to say that Women's football, at the moment, keeps being so erratic that, indeed, it can sometimes happen that "teams change a lot from one year to the next".

9. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The nice thing about Elo ratings for football is that it's a bit of a group effort for clubs stealing points. If Avaldsnes has a tough CL draw and just can't pull in any points, as long as the second team steals some, Avaldsnes can pick up points later in league play. You can think of it as how many points leagues as a whole have. For example, here are the total points between the top 12 teams in each country (essentially a "league" but not quite as they're all a little different):

Germany 20,099
    Sweden 17,207
    France 17,006
    England 16,064
    Norway1 14,609
    Norway2 5,446
    Kazakhstan 2,604

(Norway2 = teams 13-24)

So winning the Kazakhstanian league doesn't give Kazygurt that much of a boost, seeing how Kazygurt has 57% of the league's points. It's not an ideal situation for teams getting a tough draw, but there are still points out there to steal later on.

To add to your last point, here are five graphs of five various Norwegian sides from the past four years.

Lillestrøm
    Klepp
    Arna-Bjørnar
    Kolbotn
    Avaldsnes

You weren't joking about Avaldsnes' drop off! I hadn't noticed it until you pointed it out but it's definitely pretty bad there. From the start of September 2017, they've lost 405 points. Sheesh. Any idea what's happening over there?

blissett repped this.
  10. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Avaldsnes are a club with an international profile. They get rid of 8-9 players every year and replace them with equally many, mostly untested non-European foreigners. A big number of Brazilians, Australians and Americans have been there over the years - and done well. For some reason, they also have a new head coach every year. It is hard to build a backbone with that policy. Most times it has worked anyway, but not last year. They came up short in the transfer window for once. Now they are rebuilding again for 2019. I don't know what to expect from them in 2019. Could be Top 3 or lower half of the table.

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, there's the FIFA women's rankings style, which I know you were kinda iffy on, which assigns the "actual result" with a GD-based lookup table instead of a straight 0/0.5/1 split. The other possibility I could think of would be to take the "expected result" and use it (maybe with another logistic function) to assign an "expected GD" so that you can include a new multiplier of (actual GD - expected GD).

12. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Memories of Cecilie Pedersen, who I've always really enjoyed. One of the true enigmas of Norwegian fotball.

And Tom Nordlie. And Arne Utvik, the Jean-Michel Aulas of Norge.

When Nathalie Utvik retires, does Avaldsnes retire back to anonymity?

13. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, I just remember looking for FIFA's formula a year or so ago because I was curious and couldn't find it : /

I guess I could just throw in some other formulas for fun but not super incentivized to just throw random numbers in the mix atm.

14. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Very injury-prone, but still part of the squad. Just extended her contract for another year.

I seriously doubt it. She was mostly a rotation player. With last season as the yardstick, Avaldsnes are back in anonymity right now. Time to fight their way back into the limelight again. The best thing they did in 2018 was winning the qualifying group in the Champions League and enter the main competition while struggling around the bottom in Toppserien.

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah, FIFA uses a lookup table instead of a direct formula to see how GD determines "actual result", so that's probably the issue.

16. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    ... And Arne Utvik, the Jean-Michel Aulas of Norge.

When Nathalie Utvik retires, does Avaldsnes retire back to anonymity?

Arne Utvik invested a princely sum around the time Nathalie joined the team. And while he didn't pull the plug when she took a brief hiatus and went to study and play in Oslo, it wouldn't be unnatural to wonder how strong the connection is when she hangs up her boots.