Top 20 best Scandinavian players 1985-2005

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by Bauser, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    My list in alphabetical order:

Patrik Andersson
    Henning Berg
    Rune Bratseth
    Tomas Brolin
    Martin Dahlin
    Preben Elkjær-Larsen
    Tore Andre Flo
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    Henrik Larsson
    Brian Laudrup
    Michael Laudrup
    Søren Lerby
    Fredrik Ljungberg
    Morten Olsen
    Kjetil Rekdal
    Ebbe Sand
    Peter Schmeichel
    Stefan Schwarz
    Ole Gunnar Solskjær
    Jon Dal Tomasson

Who do you want to move in or out of the list?

2. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    No way is Ebbe Sand among the top 20.

Hallvar Thoresen, Jørn Andersen (first foreign top scorer in Bundesliga), Erik Thorstvedt, Erik Mykland, Lars Bohinen and John Carew are other Norwegian contenders. Tom Sundby would have been on the list if Steve Nicol hadn't killed his career in an international against Scotland.

Hallvar Thoresen would for sure be in there instead of Kjetil Rekdal. One of the best players in dutch football during the 80s, 152 goals in 315 games, captain and star player at a very good PSV team.

3. Oxianus

Oxianus New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Tore Andre Flo, there must be at least 200 better players than him bred in Scandinavia

4. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Anders Limpar, Glenn Hysén, Thomas Ravelli from Sweden ...

Allan Simonsen, Frank Arnesen, Jan Mølby, John Sivebæk, Thomas Gravesen from Denmark ..

I'm sure there are more candidates?

Norwegian ranking:
    1 Rune Bratseth
    2 Hallvar Thoresen
    3 Ole Gunnar Solskjær
    4 Erik Mykland
    5 Erik Thorstvedt
    6 Tore Andre Flo
    7 Henning Berg
    8 Lars Bohinen

5. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    He's been a lot up and down in his career, been terrible for 5-6 years now (more or less finished). But he touched world class between 1996 - 98, and his performance against Brazil in the World Cup is legendary.

6. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Even if he originates from the club I support, Jørn Andersen is a one-season-wonder with a rubbish national team record. His candidacy rests solely on that Bundesliga topscorer title. Ebbe Sand has achieved that too, plus he has a better record elsewhere.

7. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Two seasons wonder. He also had an amazing season with VIF, when he scored one goal more than he played games. I do kind of agree with you though, the name is bigger than the player. I wouldn't put any of them in top 20.

With the time frame set from 1985, I fear a large part of the list would be Danish. With only a couple of Norwegian names.

8. alman

alman New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    Italy
    who was the best? I'd say either M. Laudrup or Schmeichel. Laudrup was real madrid and barcelonas best player when he played there (and also ACM). But Schmeichel is considered the best keeper ever

9. Trond Egil Soltvedt! :D

10. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Solskjaer must be the best.

11. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    So you rate a super sub at Man United as better than the player who was selected as the Best foreign player of the past 25 years in the Spanish league (in 1999), Michael Laudrup ?...

12. Bruiser

Bruiser New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Sykkylven, Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I believe he does.

13. Kroldrup

Kroldrup Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Mexico, but Danish
    Then he's wrong.

Laudrup was also voted 25th best European of all time.

14. Bruiser

Bruiser New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Sykkylven, Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    lol, little dude, he isnt wrong just because he doesnt agree with you. Imho Laudrup was severely over-rated. It's not without reason only Danes mention him first whenever a vote of favourite players ever comes up.

15. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Solskjær could hardly keep his place in the Manchester United team,
    Michael Laudrup on the other hand dominated at every club he was. There's a huge difference in quality, and the only Norwegian player who can stand a comparison with Laudrup is Rune Bratseth. But as we know defenders are never held as high as attacking players.

16. Kroldrup

Kroldrup Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Mexico, but Danish
    Just because Norway never really has had a player to be as well known as Michael Laudrup, Peter Schmeichel, Preben Elkjaer, etc.. isn't really our fault. Sorry :eek:

17. Bruiser

Bruiser New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Sykkylven, Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Elkjaer? Haha, why this just proves my point. In the mind of the Danes, theirs was the pick of the litter, when to everone else they were nobody.

18. the fumbler

the fumbler Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Denmark
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well actually an english defender (can't remember his name but he played for liverpool) once said that the striker he feared the most to play against was Elkjaer. That's saying a lot when you played for Liverpool in the 80's. Oh and Elkjaer was part of a Verona team that won Serie A - come on, that's impressive ;)

And Laudrup: did you ever see him play? He was magical!

But my vote for the best player from Denmark (and possibly in Scand. but I've not really seen any swedes, norwegian or whatever) is Schmeichel. He was voted best goalkeeper 2 (I believe) times.

19. Bruiser

Bruiser New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Sykkylven, Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Fans cant be bothered by every little single comment that a player gets. When it comes to fans in general Elkjaer isnt exactly a household name.

seolseol has his own oppinion, and I'd be damned if some snotnosed ***** telling him he's wrong when they've got their own little biast oppinion going.

To that I've only got one thing to say: Go ***** yourself from behind and every little angle you can manage.

20. Kroldrup

Kroldrup Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Mexico, but Danish
    Haha. It's so funny how you cry. Typical Bruiser, constantly insulting members just because he doesn't agree with them.

Guys, this is Bruiser: as you may have noticed, he is Norweigian. He is a an all round biased Norway football fan constantly having the ludicrous idea that Norway's football is way superior to Denmark's and Sweden's, and yes guys, also also the Danish national team! Ain't he cute?

The guy has the bloody proof in front of him, yet he blinds himself out just because he can't accept that Denmark's NT has by far made the better stars, shocks, and achievements in the world of football. And the sad part is that when he's contradicted, he can't prove anyone wrong and goes on opening his little country minded mouth and blatters crap to other members.

You should also take a peek in how he overratres his deary Brann or infact the Norweigian league in general making it sound like football in the heavens when he really can't see that the level is poor in the league, pretty much like in Denmark's too.

To say that Solksjaer is better than Laudrup is completely insane Bruiser, or would you like to make a poll here so that all members vote and make you look like an arse?

In fact, if I were saying the opposite (saying that seolseol is wrong in saying that Laudrup is the best Scandinavian) you'd see great words of praise coming out of that same Norway-headed jaw.

Btw, I don't understand what you mean since the sensored word has five letters and "Go ***** yourself" doesn't sound right. Have a nice day :eek:

21. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Elkjaer a nobody ?... He was selected as the 3rd best player in the 'European Footballer of the Year' award 1984, the 2nd best in 1985 and 4th best in 1986, so he was hardly an "unknown nobody" in Europe ! ...

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/europa-poy84.html
    http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/europa-poy85.html
    http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/europa-poy86.html

However, I dont remember any Norwegians ever being selected among the top 4 best players in Europe..

22. ThunderZtorm

ThunderZtorm New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Denmark
    And by most spaniards + Barcelona fans all over the world.
    Face the facts lad, the only player who've had the same popularity at Barcelona since then is Ronaldinho.

The fact that he never got a European player of the year award is still being called "wrong" by most of the players he was playing with in Barca - and you call him "overrated"..

So tell me, great oracle, what norwegian player of later times have been as good a footballer as Michael Laudrup? And no, we all know Solskjær isn't as good, he scores goals, so what? So did Elkjær, and so does Søren Larsen. No big deal tbh.

23. Mefisto

Mefisto Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Århus, Denmark
    Somebody told me that John Lauridsen is the only player in the spanish league to be elected most valueable foreign player for 2 different clubs, Espanyol and Malaga if i remember correctly. ( im not old enough to remember)

Not that he is the best player ever- but he does come from Esbjerg

24. Bruiser

Bruiser New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Sykkylven, Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Kroldrup: I can't possibly write in words how hard I am laughing and how fun it is reading your little "insightful" attempt, as all the 'lol's and 'rofl's in the world can't possibly cover the arse you are making of yourself :D Please make polls, please ask people, I'd love to see their reactions!

Yeah, to me he was a nobody. I'm astonished that you think this actually matters. Until you realize this is a subjective sport, as "the beauty lies in the eye of the beholder", you will never understand football. Ukraine deserves to be in the WC06, Denmark doesn't. See a psychiatrist and cope with it.

What FACTS? It's funny how Barcelona and Real Madrid fans don't even mention him in threads about exactly that topic, "who was your favourite players". I've seen many names but no Laudrup. Oh dear oh dear how can that be? I mean he was a DANE, on paper that's enough to be best in the world according to some of you.

Don't be an arse, don't try and push your oppinions on others. Even if you think your oppinion is the correct one. Ceres in particular should pay attention to this.

25. the fumbler

the fumbler Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Denmark
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes...I see why this is relevant...not!