Top 10 Players in World Cup 2014

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by Tomazo, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Now Carlos Carmona, he is a good player, might not be outstanding but he is a good player.

2. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He was named a finalist for the Golden Ball today.

And he did win the Golden Boot in 2010 and may very well repeat that in 2014. He is one goal behind James, but he has more assists and would win the award with one more goal based on that tie-breaker. Btw, he also won the Best Young Player award at the 2010 World Cup, and he's still only 24. You may "never admit that he's a good individual player", but you're setting yourself up to have a very minority opinion for many years to come. It's your right to put yourself in a box, but maybe it's best to keep an open mind?

Your opinion is your opinion, so I can't tell you that you are wrong. However, I would suggest removing yourself from debates where your judgement may be clouded by bitterness.

gaucho16 and Bosnian Diamond repped this.
  3. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Would you call Klose a great player? Cause for me he's just as good as muller.

4. Bosnian Diamond

Bosnian Diamond Member+

Aug 9, 2011
    Mars
    Club:
    FK Velez
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Fixed my X to XI by adding in Kroos. :D

5. DutchLion

DutchLion Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My best XI, selected from the different lines.

Manuel Neuer (Ger)

Mats Hummels (Ger)
    stephan de Vrij (Ned)
    Raphaël Varane (Fra)
    Vincent Kompany (Bel)

James Rodriguez (Col)
    Toni Kroos (Ger)
    Javier Mascherano (Arg)

Thomas Muller (Ger)
    Arjen Robben (Ned)
    Karim Benzema (Fra)

6. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If we're limiting the discussion to the World Cup, then yes. I wouldn't call Klose world class where one normally considers how a player plays for his club over the long term. On the flip side, there are a host of players I would call world class that tend to lay eggs in the World Cup.

It would be hard to argue Klose's play when he wears the Germany jersey in a World Cup. The guy is money in matches for his country where much is at stake and when pressure is at its highest. In a tourney format, it's not just about demonstrated skill but about many intangibles. More than any other time, it means being tactically aware, fighting for your teammates, being unselfish, fast recovery time between matches, extreme composure, etc. I can think of many, many world class players who fail miserably in World Cups, and in large part, it's precisely b/c they are so good as individual players that cause them to fall by the wayside. In a nutshell, the pressure is too high and/or their team relies on them too heavily.

Both Klose and Muller have demonstrated the worth to their country at the World Cup. I think that's very hard to deny no matter what you might think of them during the 47 months between World Cups.

7. Donauwelle

Donauwelle Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Klose is a striker. Müller is an attacking offensive wingforward - he is every coaches dream. He is absolutely versatile and has a very high workrate - and the absolute sense for positioning.

His off the ball movement is probably the best in the world - that is one of the first reasons why van Gaal promoted him. He makes the "pitch" a lot bigger for his teammates with his runs.

And he has a goal+assist quote that is lower than one every ninety minutes - and that especially in the bigger matches and not against the dwarfs. He scored against all the big clubs that Bayern played against the recent 2 years - the decisive goals.

If he is pressing he often really harms the build-up play of the opponent. You should look into the last 20 minutes against France in which - after his battery seemed to have recharged - a lot of the passes of the defenders and of the goalkeeper did not land at their supposed target. That is part of the match, too.

Because of his unpredictability the opponent often does not know what he makes next - that is why his scoring rate is so big even if he is not the one with the biggest ball skills. But - he somehow can do it perfect under pressure...

Your problem is that you just seem to look at the goals. But at the end of the day a goal is a goal - and if it would be so easy scoring this goals everybody would do it.

8. k.Nguyen

k.Nguyen New Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My top 10 are:
    1. James Rodriguez
    2. Arjen Robben
    3. Lionel Messi
    4. Muller
    5. Keylor Narvas
    6. Juan Cuadrado
    7. Dimaria
    8. Andres Guardado
    9. Xherdan Shaqiri
    10. Toni Kross

I'm really impressed by juan Cuadrado. I think he will become a top wolrd player if play at Premer league

9. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Muller plays a lot like... Every other German player on this squad. If you mention muller you should mention the whole starting 11. He is a product of a good German team. Put him in any other team and he becomes ordinary.

10. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Here's my all-tournament squad:

Neuer, Navas, Howard
    Gamboa, Zabaleta, Halliche, Yepes, Kompany, Medel, Hummels, Blind
    Mascherano, Moreno, Pogba, Robben, Vidal, Messi, Feghouli, Ruiz
    Rodriguez, Muller, Neymar, Suarez

11. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    Player / WC minutes / Goals / Assists

Müller / 1030 / 10 / 6
    Messi / 1045 / 5 / 6
    C.Ronaldo / 1112 / 3 / 2

So apparently Messi and Ronaldo aren't individually skilled players, because they only score a shitton of goals with Barca and Real at their back. Everyone could do that. I mean come on even fools can see this kind of stuff. :ROFLMAO:

12. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    pretty fair. i agree with most of the choices except for kroos and benzema. messi still scored 4 goals while having to do a crap ton of other work since no one else except for di maria stepped up. maybe vlaar over de vrij? that's just nitpicking though on my part.

13. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Thanks for proving my point. BTW muller was amazing today don't you agree

14. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
  15. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Did Muller play today? He falls to 5th after today's display for best player of the WC:

Rodriguez
    Robben
    Messi
    Neymar
    Muller
    Feghouli

16. OscarSz69

OscarSz69 New Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Poland
    Club:
    Arka Gdynia SSA
    1. James Rodriguez
    2. Karim Benzema
    3. Robin Van Persie
    4. Manuel Neuer
    5. Oscar
    6. Phillip Lahm
    7. Daley Blind
    8. Matts Hummels
    9. Stefan Van Vrij
    10. Arjen Robben
    11. Eden Hazard

Nice team:)

17. gaucho16

gaucho16 Member

Jul 2, 2012
    IMO, in order based on performance

James
    Robben
    Mueller
    Benzema
    Messi
    Neymar
    Schurrle
    Hummels
    Zabaleta
    Kompany

18. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1. Robben
    2. James Rodriguez
    3. Muller /Neymar
    4. Kroos
    5. Messi
    6. Mascherano
    7. Campbell
    8. Navas
    9. Enyeama
    10. Benzema

19. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    1. Arjen Robben
    2. Thomas Muller
    3. Lionel Messi
    4. James Rodriguez
    5. Robin van Persie
    6. Toni Kroos
    7. Neymar
    8. Manuel Neuer
    9. Bastian Schweinsteiger
    10. Luis Suarez
    11. Ochoa

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    RVP really? Put Navas in his place IMO

21. nonoman123

nonoman123 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    iquique
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    1-james rodriguez
    2-thomas muller
    3-manuel neuer
    4-robin van persie
    5-lionel messi
    6-neymar
    7-arjen rooben
    8-claudio mascherano
    9-ochoa
    10-navas

22. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well Van Persie did score one of the goals of the tournament against Spain, plus another one, and he helped Stefan de Vrij score. He was the man of that match. Also scored more goals in the knockout rounds. He is a great player. Second best player of Netherlands after Robben.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I give him his performance against Spain. 1 of the best in the tournament but what did he do after that game? He was Netherland's best player after Robben but I wouldn't rank him top 10 or starting XI. Now for a squad of 23, absolutely.

24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Van Persie doesn't make the WC squad of the tournament either. For forwards, Rodriguez, Messi, Neymar, Muller, and Benzema must come ahead of him at least.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #100 Italy-Azzurri-Fan, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    Ochoa

Lahm, Hummels, Chiellini

Schweinsteiger, De Rossi