Top 10 Players in the EPL

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by mler1019, May 21, 2010.

1. Frosty

Frosty Member

May 29, 2008
    Where have I said Zamora had a BETTER season than Lampard?

There is nothing condescending in your post, you've just tried to back up your claim by for some strange reason comparing the stats of a Midfielder playing for the best team in the country with that of a striker playing for a low level EPL team. Now this may sound condescending but there is a totally different aspect to these two players games so expecting similair stats is a bit of a big ask.
    Sort of like expecting the birds you pull being as good as mine when im considered hot property in the sack, ive had a few average nights this season but you've really pulled the boat out and tonked some birds they may have been a lot more uglier than the ones i've been doing but boy you gave it your all, well done.

I thought Zamora had quite a great season by his standards and good enough performance wise to be ranked up with Lampards season, the very fact that Zamora was inline for a possible England selection where as it was being mooted that Lampard shouldn't even start for England goes someway to justify this.

Getting assists and goals is all well and good when your playing for the best team in the country but when your in a struggling side and still manage to attract the attention of your national side and media interest as well as help take that poor side to a European final then you must be having a great season, don't you think?

I've got no issue with Lampard being rated as a better player than Zamora that goes without question but sometimes it takes more than looking at stats to build a picture of a players season. IMO Zamora had a great season and I don't see the problem in one man choosing Zamora while another chooses Lampard.
    Each to their own, how you can argue with this is beyond unless you think your some professional player analyst who can seperate the performances of 2 completely different types of players, playing at 2 completely different levels, with an absolute gulf in quality supporting them.

Selecting a single chosen top 10 is not a realistic goal, people showing their top 10 is what this is about, every top 10 is open for debate but to cast them out because they don't have your fave player or enough players from your team is not the way to go.

Using your theory Lampard had a better season than everybody in the entire English league because he scored a collective total of more goals, assists and trophies than anybody else around, so why wasn't he player of the season?
    Maybe its because stats are for the eager consumer who likes to bubble over them and don't really give a true reflection of how a player has performed more of how well that players team has done in helping him achieve those stats.

2. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Choosing the top players in the league suggests isolating the best players in the league compared to every player in the league. It's not about comparing Zamora of 2009/10 to Zamora of 2008/09, yes sure improved a lot last season but he is still miles behind Lampard in terms of contribution, influence and performances.

"the very fact that Zamora was inline for a possible England selection where as it was being mooted that Lampard shouldn't even start for England goes someway to justify this." You picked BSM up for this so I don't think it's fair that you should try and back up your claim by comparing different positions. If Zamora was replacing Lampard then you have a point. As it stands (referring to your comment) Lampard did make the team, Zamora did not, what does this tell you?

I also have a problem with much of your argument in general, it seems to be that you should ignore the stats and for some reason agree that Zamora had as many impressive performances as Lampard, did you watch Zamora? Most of his 'performances' were only considered good, because he got a goal or two. He didn't actually play well a lot of the time, he was just managed to get the goals. You could claim the game is about scoring goals sure, and this is what a striker should do, but it's actually crazy to claim Zamora had many impressive performances.

In my opinion your post reeks of someone trying to be controversial and alternative to perhaps try and impress other posters by 'thinking outside of the box' and trying to convince people you can see something so you can act all superior because others can't see it. It's like the posh twat in the art gallery, he doesn't really know much about art to engage in a constructive conversation about what the painting really represents, or about the most famous artists, so instead with his limited knowledge of art as a whole and a head full of cliches he expresses some outrageous opinion on a the work of art, in the expectation that, because no one else has really considered it, that onlookers will hail the man as a genius, because he views art in such a superior and intelligent manner, opposed to everyone elses common views and opinions. When he is inevitably called up on this, he panics, instead of admitting his fault or simply walking away he then tries to convince the accuser that they aren't looking at it properly, "It's not about the brush strokes or what he paints!! It's about how he paints, have you never seen him paint, or his state of mind!? No? This is why you don't understand" Hoping that his confidence in his argument will cause the man to doubt his initial accusation and walk away, but when he doesn't and explain that he has indeed watched him paint, and has read an entire book on his state of mind during the painting, the accused decides that it is best to cut his losses and save some embarrassment, "Well we must just have different opinions, let's agree to disagree," hoping his explanation is accepted and the stand off ends. The stand off often does end on this note, mainly because the accuser realises this guy has actually convinced himself that he can see something that everyone else can't and just can't be arsed wasting his time educating the fella. However, this shouldn't happen, people need to be embarrassed and know when they have been found out, even if it takes a ******** load of effort and one of the longest paragraphs ever written.

Why the ******** did I compare this to an art gallery?

3. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Quoted for Truth.

4. Frosty

Frosty Member

May 29, 2008
    Almost have me to a tee, thinking outside the box is what this is about rather than the same humdrum of picking the favourite players from the top clubs its boring and predictable. Im not trying to convince anybody of anything that doesn't exist, just pointing out that there is more to the EPL than the Big 4 or 5.

People often discredit the players in the lower teams that have actually had brilliant seasons because they're not playing for the big fave clubs, maybe Zamora is a bad choice but personally I thought he had a blinder in relation to what he is expected to do.
    Yes, I hold my hand up to what would seem a total contradiction. But ignoring this at least you understand my point.
    Zamora lost the chance to be selected for England after he picked up an injury.
    The idea behind that statement was that Zamora is having a great season reflected by his status elevation where as Lampard is not having such a great season by his standards due to the calls for him to be dropped from the XI. So in respect the query was, why shouldn't Zamora be in someone's chosen 10 when Lampard is perfectly accepted in any other. In essence, not a direct comparison of the players.

It shouldn't be forgotten that this argument came about from the selection of Fletcher instead of Lampard, i've stated numerous times that picking a 10 is not going to be a conclusive 10. What are we basing this on goals scored, miles ran, commitment shown, inspiration to the team etc. everything has a value to the performance of a player more than any stat could tell you, the fact that a player like Zamora has helped his club to a European final shouldn't be lost because he plays for a crap team and doesn't display the skill of Messi, drive of Gerrard or runs from deep of Lampard, but his goals have inspired and been critical in taking Fulham, a crap team, 1 win away from European success against top teams in Europe.

For this reason I have no objection with a guy including him in his top 10.
    Why should you?

5. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Probably because there are at least 10 players better than him.

6. Frosty

Frosty Member

May 29, 2008
    Absolutely, I was believing with the way this thread went that we were choosing on form from last season.

If not then the obvious choices regardless of form as class is permanent are

Rooney
    Torres
    Gerrard
    Drogba
    Cesc
    Ferdinand
    Essien
    Cole

These are the best talents in the EPL the remaining places can be any of

Vidic
    Van Der Sar
    Evra
    Mascherano
    Cech
    Terry
    Arsharvin
    Reina
    Tevez
    Anelka

If nobody knew it already the most talented players in the EPL are at the major clubs.

But now someone is going to pipe up that so an so didn't have a great season last year, does that really make them any less talented?

7. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    OK there were at least 10 better players last season than Zamora.

8. tracker337

tracker337 New Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    whos better jerome boateng or cuellar ??

9. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Cuellar, he doesn't carry much of an attacking threat but defensively he is excellent. Boateng however has the potential to be one of the best right backs in the world, whilst like most German trained full backs can play on the left as well. He's a bit suspect defensively at times, but his attacking ability is far better than Cuellar. But I've gone with Cuellar because defence should come first for a full back.

I know both of these players regard themselves as centre backs, but I can't see them playing there much next season.

10. El_Nino_LFC

El_Nino_LFC New Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Fernando Torres
    Steven Gerrard
    Pepe Reina (best keeper around)
    Didier Drogba
    Frank Lampard
    Wayne Rooney
    Cesc Fabregas
    Carlos Tevez
    Ledley King
    Jermain Defoe

11. JRNZ

JRNZ Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Thomas Vermalen
    Carlos Tevez
    Luka Modric
    Cesc Fabregas
    Frank Lampard
    Fernando Torres
    Richard Dunne
    Darren Fletcher
    Didier Drogba
    Wayne Rooney

tried to be as unbiased as possible (adding in man utd players should show that :eek:)

12. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I'm going to edit this a tad. Half a season doesn't mean THAT much, but a few changes have to be made...Ashley Cole and Frank Lampard OUT...Samir Nasri and Gareth Bale IN

1. Didier Drogba [Level]
    2. Wayne Rooney [Level]
    3. Fernando Torres [Level]

- Until anyone can truly outperform these 3 for at least an ENTIRE season, they stay put

4. Cesc Fabregas [+1]
    5. Samir Nasri [NEW]
    6. Gareth Bale [NEW]

7. Carlos Tevez [+1]
    8. Steven Gerrard [-4]
    9. Nemanja Vidic [+1]
    10. Petr Cech [-1]

13. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Surely Gareth Bale should be number 1?

14. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not based on half a season. After the entire 38 game schedule however we will see where he stands. Same goes for Nasri

15. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    I was joking, he's not even top 20.

16. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not so sure about that.Most of the people who contribute to the hatred of Gareth Bale and create the perception that he is overrated are those who hate the English media, Arsenal fans, and Bitter English NT supporters who are ticked off that he chose to play for Wales so early and to not wait for England...and even worse that he loves playing for Wales and doesn't regret the decision at all. ANYWAYS, he truly is something special, and he is an absolute nightmare for opposing RBs. He embarrasses everyone who tries to stop him...he's brilliant.

Just pointing out, this is all from a Liverpool fan who hates all London clubs ;)

17. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Bale is surely one of the best in the EPL, if he continues his form, there will be few to match him for EPL player of the year.

18. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I'm not having this Gareth Bale "love in" that's going on still.

He's very good, athletically and technically, but the media have gone in to hype over-drive to the point where Harry Redknapp is pumping out all sorts of drivel from his column in the Sun about Bale being the best player in the world at the moment etc.

It's all bull****. Bale is good, but he's being tragically over-rated here. Van Der Vaart is just as responsible for Tottenhams "success" this season as Gareth Bale is.

I'm not a Bale hater, or a London club hater, or a xenophobic Englishman wgho resents his decision to play for Wales, I just look at this with an objective mind. There are other players in this country who are playing as well, but they're being over-looked because of this Bale love-fest.

19. 007FcBarcelona

Dec 9, 2010
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Carlos Tevez
    Luka Modric
    Cesc Fabregas
    Frank Lampard
    Fernando Torres
    Didier Drogba
    Wayne Rooney
    Nani
    Bale
    Gerrard

[​IMG]

20. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Utterly laughable.

21. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    No. The majority of people think he is being overrated by the media due to a couple of brilliant performances, around a bunch of simply above average performances. Then you have the people that know nothing about football, don't even watch it yet call themselves football fans who think this Gareth Bale lad is the best player they've ever seen. He's a good player sure, but I wouldn't have him in the top 20. You even have people saying he is faster than Theo Walcott and all kinds of nonsense.

22. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    never said anything about that...however being "faster than Theo Walcott" means nothing. Bale is regardless one of the fastest in the game, and with the points I brought up before, it's plenty.

23. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    OK, he's the best in the world then.

24. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Yes, the situation is laughable. Gareth Bale, a player who was utterly average until the turn of the year is now one of the best players in the world?

Tell me about it..............

25. psychosoccerdude_79

psychosoccerdude_79 New Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No order:
    Rooney
    Berbatov(barely)
    torres(sorta)
    drogba(hate Chelsea but whatever)
    vidic(defense)
    Ferdinand
    gerrard
    anelka
    nasri(he's kinda like the pavel datsyuk of soccer) o heck u people probably don't even know who datsyuk is
    Ryan giggs
    Paul scholes
    David beckham of he goes on loan to tottenham
    John Terry (whatever)
    tevez(definetally)
    reina(any other keeper than Peter cech)
    Javier hernandez(yes yes!)
    I probably missed a few