Top 10 List/ Where are they now/ trivia (El Salvador football)

Discussion in 'El Salvador' started by BKR inC, Nov 5, 2017.

1. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia
    Jaime Alas recently played his 150th game for Municipal, so I decided to compose a list of the best Salvadoran to play in Guatemala first division. As usual this my preference and some players may miss out because I forgot they played in the league or I could not find much data on how they went.

so here the top 6 players to have played in the Guatemala league:

Honourable mentions these include players who were naturalised to become Salvadorian or just missed out on a top 6 list.because of minimal time or performances in the league: Marcelo Messias (Petapa), Paolo Suarez (Comunicaciones), Rafael Burgos (Petapa), Christian Bautista (Mictlan), Kevin Santamaria (Sushietepquez), Luis Chicho Torres (Mictlán), Memo Rivera (USAC), Carlos Castro Borja ( Zacapa), Josue Flores (Guastatoya),José Luis Rugamas (Municipal), Juan Ramón “Mon” Martínez (Municipal), Jorge Suarez (Xelaju), Mauricio Alvarenga (Municipal) , Mauricio Ernesto Gonzales (Xelaju)

6) Eliseo Quintanilla - Municipal 2011-2012
    [​IMG]

Although his time at the club for limited his impact was enormous he scored seven goals and assisted 15 goals in 2012 campaign, their was even a campaign by the fans to resign for another season.
    Quintanilla showed he still had mileage in the tank despite his less than stellar campaign for UAT Correicaminos in Mexico and Firpo in El Salvador.

5) Jaime Alas - Municipal (2015- ''Present'')
    [​IMG]

Jaime Alas definitely deserves to his spot here, no many players end of the biggest clubs in the country, where they have a huge turnover of coaches and players, yet remain to be one of the consistent performers for the club. He has one championship for the club, which does not give him credit on how good he has been for the club.

4) Norberto Huezo - Jalapa and Escuintla
    [​IMG]
    Norberto Huezo joined the Guatemalan first division during the latter part of his career, however he showed why he was considered one of the best '10' in central america at the time, he helped both clubs perform at a higher level for a small club.

3) Mauricio Quintanilla - Xelaju MC
    [​IMG]
    His name is often forgotten as one of the two players who were excluded in the 23 man squad, not because of anything sporting but because the federation wanted to use the expenses saved on themselves, it was unfortunate because his performance for Xelaju for the reason he was listed in the first. He had outstanding movement and his presence in the box would cause headaches for defenders. his performance allowed Xelaju to win a title in 1980.

2) Raul Arana Magana - Tipgrafica Nacional, Municipal and USAC
    [​IMG]
    One of the first players to play in Guatemala, he showed how good he was but first helping stablise Tipografica Nacional who had been struggling the previous years, following this he joined Municipal and help win a championship, he left the club despite them offering a huge contract to stay, he stated later the reason he wanted to leave was to finish his economic degree at USAC. At USAC he attracted further talent to the club due to his strong performances, but he left in 1965 to join Alianza and ater to go to Canada.

1) Luis Guvera Mora - Xelaju and Aurora
    [​IMG]
    I declare Mora as the best Salvadorian player to play in Guatemala, their was some criticism of him joining Xelaju, mostly because this was after his disastrous record, however once he joined he showed why he was selected in the first making some great saves and helping xelaju make the finals but never being be to win titles. However he joined Aurora and was the final piece of puzzle that helped them win their last title in their history.

So what do you think>?
    Any list you want me to do next?

mczh, slaminsams and La Trucha repped this.
  2. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia
    I have done a previous version of a list of players that were primed for a move abroad, but for whatever reason fell through. This Part 2 of that series
    So as a rule I Have decided to set some guidelines: Have to be confirmed by a few sources, would have to be playing outside of El Salvador, preferably at a higher level, and would only include players playing in the main team (so no youth teams like under 20s, however reserve team can be included as they often mixed with fringe first comers).

Misael Alfaro to Deportivo Saprissa (Costa Rica)
    [​IMG]
    Due to injuries to their main keeper, Saprissa were searching hard and were impressed by Alfaro performance for club and international level. However they decided to go another way.
    External Links: http://wvw.nacion.com/ln_ee/1999/septiembre/08/deportes3.html
    Chances if he had stayed: Personally it could gone either way as Alfaro was a good goalkeeper but had errors in his game especially in the air, I think if he played as consistently he did with Firpo, he would had his career similar to panamanian Jaime penedo

Milton Melendez to Tokyo Gas (Japan)
    [​IMG]

Milton Melendez trialled with Tokyo Gas and sadly despite both parties having interest, due to issues with visa and transfer dealing with Alianza, the deal fell through
    Chances if he had stayed: He would had succeeded Melenedez has always seen as underrated player, but he has a footballing mind and it showed in both as player and coaching driector, he helped rebuild Alianza as the stalwart they are today.

slaminsams repped this.
  3. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The Salvadoran-born player with the most seasons in Europe is not Magico, Chelona, Pajaro Huezo, Saprissa, Punyed, Bonilla, Pineda, AA, or Rafa Burgos.

Maycoll Canizalez-Smith enjoyed a 17-year football career in Germany.

This fun fact was brought to you by SelectaTalent :)