Top 10 Clubs - The 2010s

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Afghan-Juventus, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    We had a thread of this on the national teams so I figured we make one on clubs.

My list in order:

1. Barcelona
    2. Bayern Munich
    3. Real Madrid
    4. Atletico Madrid
    5. Juventus
    6. Borrussia Dortmund
    7. Chelsea
    8. Paris Saint Germain
    9. Manchester City
    10. Sevilla

Honorable Mentions:
    Manchester United, Schalke 04, Arsenal, Spurs, Leverkusen, Roma, Napoli, and a very small mention for Inter Milan.

carlito86 and jefflebowski16 repped this.
  2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Corinthians Paulista

Heck, I'll even throw in Auckland City who are on 6 consecutive OFC Champions League titles.

Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  3. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not sure how much Arsenal and Spurs deserve to be there. We've both achieved nothing in the league and in Europe, and Arsenal only trophies are 2x FA Cups.

In absolute terms maybe Juventus deserve to be higher than At. Madrid given the amount of league titles they've won. In relative terms, there's a case to be made for At. Madrid as top three?

carlito86 repped this.
  4. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    I should've looked a bit more outside of Europe. Though I wouldnt add Auckland as I doubt they'd be able to compete with top European clubs.

5. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Completely agreed, not many if any(exc bayern Munich)could win a league title in Spain competing against Barcelona/real Madrid

Atletico's league title was a special occasion and total team effort inspired by simeone and great performances from back to front
    (Godin,Costa turan and others)

tbh I'm unsure as to which is the greater achievement
    Leicester City winning the epl in a season where the top 4 were all having a rare off season
    or atletico Madrid with extremely limited financial resources competing and winning the league against the 2 richest and talented clubs in world football.

How simeone lost fifa coach of the year in 2014 to Joachim Löw is completely beyond me.
    The german NT will either always win or genuinely compete in world cups(semi final or final)irrespective of the manager.
    atletico Madrid last won the league with simone as a player in 1996 and then nearly 2 decades later with him as a manager.

unclesox and Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  6. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    I have Arsenal in honorable mentions due to their consistent participation in the CL KO rounds in this decade thus far. Adding Spurs was a mistake but there really has not been many consistently successful clubs so far.

I could not rank Juve ahead of Atleti, due to the fact that they have been more successful in Europe and have competed for La Liga 1 season and won it another. Had we won 1 CL I would have ranked Juve ahead of them.

7. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If you go by absolute terms, it's not possible to rate At. Madrid above Juventus considering the latter's domestic domination.

However, if you contextualize it, as you have (eg. winning serie A doesn't count as much as winning La Liga) then it's hard to understand how Real Madrid is above At. Madrid. Given their resources, At. Madrid has been more impressive. Only the tiniest of differences stand between At. Madrid winning two UCLs, and possibly topping this list, and Madrid with two runners up despite assembling one of the most stacked squads of all time.

8. Jakuba

Jakuba New Member

None
    Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I think SL Benfica certainly have a case for being listed in the honorable mentions category.

Some of their accomplishments as of current in this decade:
    • 2 Europa League finals (2013, 2014) and 1 semifinal (2011)
    • 2 UCL quarterfinal appearances (2012, 2016) and 1 Round of 16 (2017)
    • 3 League titles (2014, 2015, 2016) and various domestic cup wins.
    Only thing working against them is their somewhat poor record in the UCL group stages where they've been knocked out 4 times this decade. Still, I would say they've been better than Spurs, Leverkusen, and Roma at the very least.

In addition, Porto certainly has a valid claim of their own to be included.
    • 1 Europa League win (2011)
    • 1 UCL quarterfinal appearance (2015) and 2 Round of 16 (2013, 2017)
    • 3 League titles (2011, 2012, 2013) and various domestic cup wins.

unclesox repped this.
  9. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    1. Barcelona
    2. Real Madrid
    3. Bayern Munich
    4. Atletico Madrid
    5. Juventus
    6. Borussia Dortmund