Top 10 Brazilian Movies

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by Neo¹, Jan 7, 2006.

1. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    yeah i mentioned this movie in an earlier post in this thread.

saw it in brazil and loved it. kinda like a guy's version of amelie...except with more crime. haha.

2. thetaylor310

thetaylor310 Member

Jul 30, 2004
    São Paulo-SP, BRASIL
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Alô

i just finished watching Cidade de Deus and i must say... very interesting

"Baseado em histórias reais"...

i never understood why you needed to have a gun in Brasil, but i guess this movie somewhat helps me to understand

You see... when i was living in Brasil, meu pai also had one... though we lived in Bom Retiro (São Paulo) and not the favelas in Rio. He did use it... but not on anyone else

This movie makes me think...

3. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004

I saw the female (original) version of amelie and hated it. I mean so parts were cool, But i was rolling my eyes throughout the whole movie. I guess im not much for chick flicks.

4. commitment#4

commitment#4 Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Club:
    CA Monarcas Morelia
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I was just wondering if anyone has seen this movie yet? It comes out august17,and got good reviews in film festivals. i think the real Brazilian people would know more about this film,thank U. I hope Brazil is not to dangerous Ill be there in Salvador studying en la U and filming my student films.gracias, de un mexicano.

heres is the trailer.

[youtube]_3zMm8pPz3A[/youtube]

5. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Send a bullet???

And I used to laugh at translations into Portuguese...

Manda Bala does not even equal send a bullet in a literal translation!!! (OK, it's close, for the literal translation, but if you're going to translate literally, with no regard for meaning... don't you want to get it technically right?)

6. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Thanks for that link.

I've been to Salvador twice. Beautiful city. There is crime, but nothing on the scale of Sao Paulo or Rio imo. Probably only petty robbery which could happen anywhere. I never felt threatened there.

7. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I finally got around to watching O HOmem Do Ano, and it was good. TO be hones,t I only watched it because I wanted to see Claudia Abreu.... G-DAMN she's hot... but that movie rocked. Best scene was when he shot the dude in the back of the car.

O Homem Que Copiava was also good. When the girl asks "So you use Xerox?" and he says it's some other brand. :D "Legal." she says and he goes back into the monologue sarcastically. "Eh... muito legal...." I always kind of liked Leandra Leal and Cardoso's hilarious in "O Grande Familia" and anything else he does. "Voce e muito pobre!" :D

Funny thing about the older movie "Bossa Nova" is looking at it and then seeing Gionvanna Antonelli in "Sete Pecados". She looks totally different now.

8. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    in no order -

City of God, Elite Squad, The Man Who Copied, The Trespasser... hmmm can´t think of anything else. there´s only 4 decent brazilian movies ever? lol

9. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Not mentioned is Bus 174 a documentary film that takes place in Rio featuring a hostage situation in a bus that was captured on live tv. The film focuses on the robber while examining the social conditions of the favelas and the criminal justice system in place.

The director of this film Jose Padilha later went on to direct Tropa de Elite (Elite Squad).

10. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Just curious, as I saw a completely English trailer, but is the Man Who Copied done in Portuguese or English?

11. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    It's in Portuguese (Brazilian Portuguese) with subtitles available.

12. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Good. I rather see the movie in Portuguese. Things are often lost in translation in speech and in subtitles.

13. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The Elite squad is a frightening movie.

I wanted to ask whether the conditions in the favelas have been improving? Is the government taking a more pro-active approach in the areas, opposed to just police involvement?

14. Siempreconlamecha

Apr 4, 2005
    I attended a forum recently on violence in latin america. One of the panelists was Jorge Zaverucha (University of Pernambuco) and he's very much against the BOPE. His arguments lie in the exagerated use of violence by this military-police squad, abundant corruption and he mentions that it has made Favelas in Rio a 'rule by law' instead of a 'rule of law'.

15. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Linha De Passe

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Old thread here, hoping to bringing it alive by giving some suggestions. Two of these comedies were actually Globo miniseries but made into a movie.

O Auto da Comparecida - Very funny with great acting by the 2 main characters. Movie set in the Northeast about 2 poor guys who cheat a bunch of people in a small town.

Caramuru, A Invencao do Brasil - Another great comedy depicting the history of Brazil's discovery. It has some eye candy with a young Deborah Secco and Camila Pitanga.

Lisbela e o Prisioneiro - Didn't find it as good as the top 2 but still fairly enjoyable.

I'd say you have to be Brazilian or at least understand the culture to enjoy these movies. Our comedy style is completely different than American and many jokes would be lost in translation ... unlike movies such as Cidade de Deus which are more universal.

I highly recommend the top 2 movies. Trying to get a copy of Os Normais to watch it.

17. AtlanticoBooks

AtlanticoBooks New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    There are lots of great Brazilian Movies!

Some of my favorites (I've been a Portuguese student since 1999) are:

18. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Os normais :D I haven't seen the 2nd though. Anyone seen it?

19. Panther1903

Panther1903 Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Mississauga, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Some favorites that I have on DVD :

Black Orpheus (Orfeu Negro) (1959, Marcel Camus)

City of God (Cidade de Deus) (2002, Fernando Meirelles)

City of Men (Cidade dos Homens) (2007, Paulo Morelli)

Kiss of the Spider Woman (1985, Hector Babenco)

Pixote (Pixote: A Lei do Mais Fraco) (1981, Hector Babenco)

Carandiru (2003, Hector Babenco)

Last Stop 174 (Última Parada 174) (2008, Bruno Barreto)

Gabriela ( Gabriela, Cravo e Canela) (1983, Bruno Barreto)

Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands (Dona Flor e Seus Dois Maridos) (1976, Bruno Barreto)

Love For Sale (O Céu de Suely) (2006, Karim Ainouz)

The House of Sand ( Casa de Areia) (2005, Andrucha Waddington)

The Middle of the World (O Caminho das Nuvens) (2003, Vicente Amorim)

The Motorcycle Diaries (Diários de Motocicleta) (2004, Walter Salles) .
    Actually an Angertine film in Spanish, but by a Brazilian director.

20. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    My favorites. All masterpieces:

Black Orpheus

City of God

City of Men

Kiss of the Spider Woman

Pixote

Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands

Bye Bye Brasil

Vai trabalhar vagabundo (I don’t think any of you ever saw this film as it was not much success and came out in 1975, but I rolled over laughing)

21. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Have anyone seen any movie about Zumbi dos Palmares?

There is a movie called Quilombo directed by Carlos Diegues, it's about Palmares, anyone seen it and is it any good?

22. Dadinho

Dadinho Member

Feb 19, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a pretty awful movie. It may have been considered good when it came out, in 1984, but the production is bad and the acting exaggerated.

23. DanFla

DanFla Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nobody mentioned Tropa de Elite 1 and 2?

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Good point ! Both are great movies ! Just got to see the 2nd one recently. I thought Deputado Fortunato was funny.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSVWHkZqH-A&feature=related"]YouTube - Tropa de Elite 2 - Dancinha[/ame]

25. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I just watched Adrift the other night. Its not groundbreaking in any way, but its a perfectly constructed movie. I'm a very tough movie critic, and I'd recommend this to anyone. I never knew Vincent Cassel was fluent in portugues. It also doesn't hurt when Camilla Belle is in the movie.