Tony Meola - WC 2006 Goalie

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by QuakeAttack, Aug 2, 2002.

1. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    More power to Tony, but I doubt Bruce will give him the opportunity.

3. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    All it takes is an injury, the need to stay with the club there -- and you have Tony backing up Timmy or vice versa! We could do worse.

4. togneter

togneter Member

Mar 30, 2000
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, man, let me catch my breath.

There...better...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

5. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Well, he will be 37 then, still younger than David Seaman at this year's WC for England, but I'm guessing that-just like now- he won't be as good as Seaman then, either.

6. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    By 2006 he will have eaten all the pies, so it's possible.

7. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always good to have goals, no matter how unlikely they may be.

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Tony's last comment was spot on:

"East versus West all-star games are going to happen all the time, so it's a little different but it's going to be fun," he said. "Without guys like John Harkes and Mike Burns, and Alexi [Lalas] obviously, the national team, I don't care what anyone says, wouldn't be where it is today. Let's just hope the Landon Donovans of the world understand that. I think they do. But we've all come a long way."

I'm not sure if it will happen for Tony in 2006, but you gotta love the fight in the man.

9. thacharger

thacharger New Member

May 19, 2002
    Southaven, MS
    The article said anyone can compete. Does that mean I can?? Bruce, cap me NOW!!

10. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    If anyone can pull this off it would be Tony.

11. MadSirAlexxx

MadSirAlexxx Member

Mar 21, 2002
    'nuff said. "near post" Meola should give it up now, not wait for '06

12. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    not neccessarily give it up but....

i dunno. i don't think he should give it up yet. but setting your goals on "taking charge" in '06. that's pretty poor. Seaman lasted till old age because he is in amazing shape and has always played strong. Meola isn't quite Seaman's caliber. he won't last 4 more years. especially not at WC performance levels. there is alot of youth coming through in 4 years meola will be coaching somewhere or in an office.

13. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed, well maybe Friedel and Keller too.

14. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    he's good insurance

15. saroccer

saroccer New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Atl/Kabul
    I'm skeptical but I have to admire the ambition and fight in him. More power to him.

Still like Timmy better though.

16. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    He needs to work on his foot skills. Anything's possible, especially with a rash of injuries.:) I just seriously doubt that he's got the self discipline to put together a program that allows him to surpass Keller and Friedel.

17. Casper1377

Casper1377 New Member

Oct 20, 2001
    in with the new...

I don't think Meola was ever that great world caliber 'keeper for the US. He's good, mind you, just not 'that' good. He deserved his roster spot in the past, but I didn't think he deserved it this time around. It seemed like more of a consolation for his past performances and a pat on the back than he really could beat out the other prospects.
    Anyway, I've read in 'Freekick' and I agree completely that for WC '06 and the future we're looking at Zach Thorton(Fire), Tim Howard(MetroStars) and Kevin Hartman(Galaxy) and maybe even Nick Rimando(D.C.). These guys are definately the future and deserve to be playing in most of the future friendlies and internationals. Not that Friedel and Keller should be just dropped, but phased out over the next 4 years, definately. And this is coming from a big Friedel supporter.
    Secondly, look for Carlos Bocanegra(Fire) and Danny Califf(Galaxy) to be on the squad full-time in the future with Mastroeni and company. Maybe even Jim Curtin(Fire) in a few years if he keeps developing like he is. All these guys are going to be amazing national team players for the future.

cheers

18. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember this:

It's not the size of the pig in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the pig.

19. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    I think Meola's attitude is great and even at the minimum it will keep the younger guys on their toes while competing for the starting spot.
    I do like Howard though as the #1 in '06.

20. ballsmahoney

ballsmahoney New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Friedel,Howard than Tony as the third. I Don't think Tony is a legit #3, but if we lose the top 2, his experience and poise will go a long way. It's about time we let Keller and his sulking ways take a walk.

21. timmy409

timmy409 Red Card

Apr 3, 2002
    Georgia
  22. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I would not discount Tony Meola. He is a fierce competitor.

The odds are against him, but we shall see what happens.

23. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There, let me fix that. Tony is washed up.

24. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I was hoping you wouldn't catch your breath. Oh, well.

Meola has been consistently underestimated during his entire career despite the fact that he has had such a brilliant one. I just can't get over how shallow some people are. Let's face it. This has everything to do with his stocky appearance.

Will he be around in 2006? Probably not, but you would have DEFINITELY said the same thing about 2002 only a few years ago.

25. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm hoping Howard will be #1 by 2006, but Keller is still our best keep, sulking or otherwise. I think he actually behaved rather well, all things considered.