Tony Alfaro at Zacatepec (on loan from Chivas)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Nov 27, 2018.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Name: Tony Alfaro
    Position:
    Defender
    Height: 6-2
    Weight: 190
    Born: June 15, 1993 (in Mexico)
    Hometown: Santa Barbara, CA
    College: Cal State Dominguez Hills
    Citizenship: United States
    Pronunciation: al-FAR-oh
    Acquired: Signed to Sounders FC roster on March 8, 2016

Tony has gone from having his option declined at Seattle to having rumors about him joining Chivas in just 24 hours.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2018/11/19/18103243/sounders-exercise-options-on-10-players

Chivas interest:

http://www.record.com.mx/futbol-fut...as-muy-cerca-de-cerrar-fichaje-de-tony-alfaro

Chivas plans to surprise with a signing. The Guadalajara board has begun talks to include Seattle Sounders defender Tony Alfaro , who is waiting for the final resolution.

"It's something that makes me feel very grateful because this opportunity has been presented. If it is concrete I would be very happy to be able to play there.

"They approached my representative. Since the summer there was a bit of approach, but not as much as there has been in the last week. It is talking about going there, but still nothing concrete, "said the defender in a conversation with RÉCORD .

There was some rumored interest from Chivas earlier in the year:

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2018...ivas-guadalajara-tony-alfaro-seattle-sounders

There have been several reports linking center back Tony Alfaro with Chivas Guadalajara, but his move to Liga MX is not likely to happen. Two diverse sources close to C.D Guadalajara have told me that, although Alfaro’s name has been “mentioned as an option”, the California State University Dominguez Hills product “falls at the bottom of a player list” designed to identify possible reinforcements for next season.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some more background:

Alfaro first made his way onto Chivas Guadalajara's radar in February, when he started both legs of Seattle's Concacaf Champions League round-of-16 clash with Salvadorian side Santa Tecla. The Sounders eliminated Santa Tecla and played Chivas in the quarterfinals, losing to the eventual champions. Alfaro didn't play against Chivas, but the interest in him began at that stage.

Chivas made an inquiry into Alfaro's availability in the summer, but with the Sounders unwilling to part with the player unless a transfer fee was paid, Chivas put its interest on hold, and revisited Alfaro's availability after Seattle passed on renewing his contract.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/source...tle-defender-alfaro/wq8ydx6rzbae143mm6ophe1in

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Was just coming here to suggest this theory before noticing your second post! Alfaro didn't play much for Seattle this year, but I guess there wasn't any downside to keeping him around if you weren't going to get paid to let him go. He wasn't making much.

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this more or less likely to be a successful transfer than Luis Silva's move from RSL to Tigres?

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I don't remember what kind of expectations people might've had for Silva when he joined Tigres, but it's hard to believe they'd be lower than would be expected for a career reserve like Alfaro (though Alfaro is heading down a bit younger than Silva did). Underpromise and overdeliver, like the fella said...

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like there was concern he wasn't marked as "formed in Mexico" to meet the Chivas purity standard:

In the Liga MX records, the player was marked with the nomenclature "NFM", which is used to abbreviate Not Formed in Mexico. The rest of the rojiblanco squad appears with "FM" or formed in Mexico. The acronym NFM is used mostly for foreigners who are active in 17 Liga MX clubs. That's why Chivas was quick to clarify that Tony Alfaro, who came from the MLS of the United States, does not break the tradition of using only national players.

"In the essence of the Club Deportivo Guadalajara is its conformation only by national players, a condition that remains unchanged with the arrival of a player of Mexican origin who has had his professional journey out of our country before military in Liga MX", explained the directive through a statement issued the afternoon of this Monday.

"That is why the incorporation of José Antonio 'Tony' Alfaro to the Sacred Flock is within the guidelines of the institution to be a 100 percent Mexican player. That is, a Mexican by birth, of Mexican parents, in addition to being eligible to play with the National Team, "the document added.

http://radio79mx.com/2019/01/29/chivas-aclara-nacionalidad-de-tony-alfaro-llego-su-transfer/

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @bungadiri -- He can move to the YA forum, Master B.

bungadiri repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interview:

https://www.marca.com/claro-mx/futbol/liga-mx/2019/04/25/5cc0c2baca4741a0768b4600.html

So far, the 25-year-old defender born in Puruándiro, Michoacán, and raised in the United States has played two Copa matches and one league match, but in an interview with MARCA Claro admits that he struggled to adapt to Mexican football but trusts that he will soon give his best version in the field.

"In general, everything went well, everything is different, it's a different country, a different culture and a different football, but I'm happy to be here in the biggest club in Mexico ," said Alfaro. "The transition has been complicated, I had not been in Mexico for a long time, I am far from my home in the United States, but everyone here in the club has helped me and I think that every day I am learning more."

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comes off the bench late:

24. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signed with Reno.

https://www.reno1868fc.com/news_article/show/1082543

On the positive side, he had one more appearance for Chivas (1) than Silva did for Tigres (0). On the negative side, Tigres is much better than Chivas.

BostonRed repped this.