Tokyo soccer bars and pickup games?

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Lolonearbyyolo, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Lolonearbyyolo

Apr 17, 2006
    Section 138
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi all,
    I'll be in Tokyo for a couple weeks and would love to catch some MLS games or maybe some English matches on tv aside from the live J-League games I plan to hit.

Can anyone recommend places on the west side of Tokyo (though I'd be willing to go further if need be)?

Also curious if anyone has a line on a soccer pickup game in Tokyo? Might be jonesing for a run...

Last question: has anyone ever tried MLS Live there and got it to work successfully? I'm hopeful, but ready to be disappointed...

Yoroshiku,
    Lolo

roxbury and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  2. OishiiUdon

OishiiUdon Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Can't offer much help regarding MLS games, but one night I was around Kabukichō I saw 2 soccer pubs, I only entered one but there was a great atmosphere and people were watching Liverpool against some other premier league team.
    The thing about live MLS games is that due to the time difference between the US and Japan they are supposed to be broadcasted when in Japan it's still early morning, which is less exciting and some bars might even be closed.

Good luck anyway!

Lolonearbyyolo repped this.
  3. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one watches MLS in Japan. You'll have to find a good proxy to get your fix while you're there.
    The Footnik is a pretty solid place with an international crowd: http://www.footnik.net/index.php/english/schedule/
    Otherwise various English-style soccer pubs should be showing EPL and other European leagues.

In terms of pickup games, futsal is generally popular in Tokyo due to space constraints. Futsal Tokyo looks like a cool site where you can sign up for individual participation in games organized by level and location. The signup looks clunky (no form, just email) but they seem to have a lot of options.

Lolonearbyyolo and Radu Razvan repped this.
  4. Lolonearbyyolo

Apr 17, 2006
    Section 138
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, MLSlive DOES work in Japan for streaming MLS games. That was a nice surprise.

naopon repped this.
  5. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it wasn't worth the trouble to implement a geofilter...

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  6. Lolonearbyyolo

Apr 17, 2006
    Section 138
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I met several Marinos fans at the game that follow MLS streams online since the game times are often more convenient for footy fans here than European leagues. That was also a surprise...

OishiiUdon and Samurai Warrior repped this.