News: Todd Dunivant Retiring

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Bilgediver, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    King Koopa, Berks, StillKickin and 2 others repped this.
  2. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone deseves a send off by a MLS final cameo, or a testimonial match, its him

hav77, TrickHog and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  3. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A testimonial would be awesome

TrickHog and Bilgediver repped this.
  4. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw that Landon video in Facebook, good tribute, and it would be sweet for those two to have 6 rings.

8. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good guy, good player, great professional. It was time, but still sad to see him go.

King Koopa, Hushx, WarGalaxy and 7 others repped this.
  9. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the crucial guys who stabilized our defense again after the Ruud years. One of the most intelligent soccer players I've ever watched, and I loved his skill on the ball and long throw-ins too.

Good luck, Todd, can't wait to see what you do in 2016, and I hope it's with the Galaxy.

King Koopa, hav77, WarGalaxy and 5 others repped this.
  10. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Graceful departure by a classy guy, who faced the truth. He obviously has a lot of options, and could do many things, but given his activity in the collective bargaining process, I see his best spot as with the players' union, maybe even president of the union eventually.

11. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a first class guy and I really like him. I would classify him as steady, nothing spectacular, but steady and dependable and a top teammate. Glad he was on our team. I wish him well.

The Beautiful Gamer and TrickHog repped this.
  12. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto the comments above. You can tell from the videos his teammates loved him, and he's an intelligent individual. I hope he sticks around with the sport. We need more Todd Dunivants.

TrickHog and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  13. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at a USMNT friendly game v. Japan a number of years ago at PacBell Park in SF (just looked it up - 2006. 9 years?! Holy crap I'm getting old). Todd played left back that evening, and looked great. Had a number of well placed long diagonal crosses into the box, and more than held his own in the back. I thought he would have a chance to get a lot more looks from the Nats, but it turns out that was his last cap.

Geneva, hav77, wcmanes and 2 others repped this.
  14. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is a shame because he totally deserved several call ups.

Ghosting repped this.
  15. reFnCoach

reFnCoach Member

Sep 18, 2003
    SoCal
    Good luck to him, I hope he stays around the Galaxy. I liked his description in his video, that if he was doing his job you wouldn't be talking about him OR the guy he's marking, "addition by subtraction". That describes pretty well the value he's brought to the club over the years. Well done, Todd.

16. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    He would be so great for the MLSPU, he came out of the same mold as Chris Klein.

The Beautiful Gamer and TrickHog repped this.
  17. Hushx

Hushx Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can easily say that Omar, AJ and even Rogers would NOT be the defenders and solid unit they are today without Todd Dunivant's mentorship. He was easily one of the most important and critical early pieces of the Arena era and even prior to that in 2005 as we all know. The guy is a born winner who played well beyond the level his technical and physical abilities permitted him - his brain was always top notch and on point. I hope the Galaxy take care of him and give him a job somewhere in the organization.

I raise my glass!

GalaxyKoa, barroldinho, pastor and 6 others repped this.
  18. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He says in an article today that he wants to stick around in a business capacity with the club. Hope that comes true.

Hushx, The Cadaver, TrickHog and 3 others repped this.
  19. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Todd was cool.

20. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is really true. The draft was very good to us that year, but it was bringing in Dunivant that really firmed up the line. So much youth back there (remember when it was Franklin, Omar, and AJ, and Franklin was the "experienced" player?) and we really needed stable leadership, and that was Todd.

Surprising how little I cared when he was acquired. I remember things like "another Arena retread, great....." and in restrospect it is kind of odd that he moved so much in the middle of his career. He really should have been a franchise building block. Never made a ton of money either. Kinda of an interesting career arc.

That all said---definitely time to hang them up and head upstairs to the business or coaching department.

Hushx, Geneva, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  21. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe trading away Dunivant was another one of those Genius Yallop Moves, and he brought in Ante Jazic instead, who was not up to par. Then there were a couple of other terrible left backs - don't remember who - until Arena brought Dunivant back. I was at those first several games when Todd returned, and watched him closely, and his performances were fantastic. He controlled everything on his side perfectly, and the quality shone. He was huge for us.

Hushx, galvanator, shelbo and 1 other person repped this.
  22. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So what do we all think about the value of a college degree?

Hushx and TrickHog repped this.
  23. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Chris Klein walks in with a furry pencil case full of sharpies.

"Todd, welcome to marketing".

24. Hushx

Hushx Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 Hushx, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    Gawd, I can already imagine the FNG (F**king New Guy/Gal) treatment on the first day at work:

After MLS Cup 2015-16:

El Presidente Klein: "Alright Todd, as you know we now have the Holy Divine Trinity of....too many signings...you know them: sober Irish guy, that English dude with the accent, and Johnny 2 Saints, with of course the big swinging brass balls of Gonzalez further back."

Dunivant: "Oh yeah, don't I know it. We got this dynasty shit on LOCK. DOWN."

Klein: "Now that you got 5 rings, I also know your pimp hand is quite strong with the Dark side. Master Arena is quite proud."

Dunivant: "Each of my fingers got more rings than entire teams in the league! Especially those weird blue guys up north. I'm glad we were able to rescue Gordon - good call Mr. President."

Klein: "Todd, I need your strength once more. This entire organization must look to you again."

Dunivant: "What is it sir?"

Klein: "I want you to go to the copy room and make about a million photo copies of each DP star we now have. May your hand be swift and strong. Oh, and welcome to the front office - your corner office is on the left. Have Donovan show you around."

Dunivant: "Goddamnit."

barroldinho, TrickHog and Beakmon FC repped this.