TOA is now the new NASL

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by pc4th, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hah! Learn something new every day.

2. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    I didn't know that neither, I thought that the USL W-league had the monopoly

Thanks for posting this

3. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    This is interesting. According to Go Daddy, the domain was registered on November 23 by James Chernesky, who is the manager and part owner of Crystal Palace Baltimore. He also registered naslnet.com a day before. Since all this was done almost 2 weeks ago it isn't a confirmation of more happening in the background, but it does show further proof of how confident the NASL is.

Right now there are two overarching things everyone is waiting for.

1. USSF gives confirmation that the NASL will (or won't) be sanctioned. This could come tomorrow, or it could be held back all the way until the USSF's regular meeting in February.

2. There is a decision made by either Puerto Rico, Portland, or Austin to jump ship. They're probably waiting for the USSF to say something, but their recent silence is rather strange. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these three haven't said anything in the past 2 weeks. I wonder if their agreement with the USL for next season is more than simply a verbal statement, in which case they may be stuck with some serious problems if the NASL pulls through with the USSF sanctioning.

3. An extra piece of news that I'm personally interested in is seeing what happened to FC New York. You'll know that the USL is a goner if they try to write off FCNY as an extended April Fool's joke. :D

4. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    [1. USSF gives confirmation that the NASL will (or won't) be sanctioned. This could come tomorrow, or it could be held back all the way until the USSF's regular meeting in February.]

If the USSF does not sanction the new NASL ''THIS WEEKEND'', it will make it very hard for the teams to get sponsors. players and a TV contract

5. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're probably waiting for the USL to say something.

The USL is threatening to sue teams that signed up for next year but don't play. If the USL announces that there will only be one pro division next year, these teams can stay or leave without fear of lawsuits, since presumably the league existing is a condition precedent for them having to stay in it. If they leave for NASL now, they go right into the lawsuit camp.

Also, while I'm sure the NASL would love for Portland to come on board, we shouldn't assume that they also want Austin and Puerto Rico. Austin has already been discussed. Puerto Rico is a strong team, but it's a ridiculous bump in everyone's travel budget.

6. NJSG

NJSG New Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Morris Plains, NJ
    Does anyone know what the travel budget is for a USL1 / NASL level team? I'm interested to know what percentage of total expenditure it comes to. Unless teams are traveling everywhere else by bus, then it may not be that much extra - a plane ride is a plane ride to a certain extent.

That's not to say that they'd want PR in anyway, but the additional cost of that one journey, as opposed to Vancouver to Tampa or Miami may not be that huge. Looks like a south east swing to me.

7. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They might as well move the Miami, Carolina, Rochester and Tampa subforums under that one. And it would be nice to know if Montreal Fans prefer to be in the MLS "Candidate Cities" forums or under the NASL one.

8. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    The devil is in the details for this. We don't know what kind of agreement there was between the teams and the USL. If it was just verbal I don't think there is much that the USL can do. However, the fact that some but not all teams jumped ship might indicate that the teams that stayed behind made a more formal written agreement (and are therefore more liable to invoke a lawsuit).

9. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    I'm pretty sure that for all the eastern teams, which make up the bulk of the league, is cheaper to travel to PR than to travel to Portland or Vancouver.

10. Sevin

Sevin Member

May 24, 2001
    U.S.
    Also, because of their large travel parties they are traveling on group rates not the regular rates that you normally see.

11. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I was buying tickets we used a clearing house to buy our airfare, but it wasn't a huge discount off regular airfare, and that was 10 years ago. If I remember right, group discounts start at 50 passengers.

12. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    So apparently USL contacted River Plate not NASL. And River Plate said no.

13. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    So apparently USL contacted River Plate not NASL. And River Plate said no.

14. Sevin

Sevin Member

May 24, 2001
    U.S.
    Not quite right. I have a group of 11 that flew ATL to Chicago today and will fly ATL to Ft. Lauderdale & Phoenix next week. Got group discounts on all of the flights and I do this at least 50 times a year.

15. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you are buying over 500 tickets on the same airline?

I forgot to mention, we couldn't use the same airlines for all flights because of the various markets. Might be different now, but the clearing house was our saving grace.

I would assume NASL will make a call to New Haven Travel and get some pretty good deals.

16. Sevin

Sevin Member

May 24, 2001
    U.S.
    No I use different airlines but maybe I have a good travel agent.

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be, plus a lot of the airlines are now aligned and they weren't 10 years ago.

My memory was we flew on Delta, American, US Air. Southwest didn't work for us for some reason.

18. Sevin

Sevin Member

May 24, 2001
    U.S.
    No we use different airlines but have a pretty good travel agent. I also fly groups of 5, 6 and 7 but don't get discounts with them. I think the magic number is 10 to be considered for a group rate. You are also dealing with the group desk at the airline rather than regular ticketing.

19. IndyMac

IndyMac Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Evansville, Indiana
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do some of you seriously think NASL is a bad name because Mexico isn't a part of the league? Let's ignore the fact that a lot of people consider Mexico to be a Central American country, why does this matter at all? It's a 2nd division soccer league, not an international organization. Should KFC change it's name since it has restaurants in China?

You can argue that the NASL name should be left alone for good or bad reasons or that they should just come up with a new original name; but to say that they shouldn't call it NASL because it doesn't include Mexico is just dumb.

20. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    name doesn't bother me, nor do I care if Mexico is represented.

21. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Has anyone put that idea forward on this board? I might not have read it. (This is a big forum.)

I think your KFC analogy is a BIG stretch. I think you're right in defending the name, though.

Despite how people think of it, though, Mexico is NOT a Central American nation (and Central America is a part of North America even if it were). I doubt too many Mexicans will be pissed off. They've got their own (much higher quality) league, and we're not exactly going to be steeling their thunder.

I suppose if you really wanted to defend the NASL, you might do so on the basis that North could modify American rather than the two terms being read as parts of a proper noun. That way it's the league that represents the northern 2/5 of America or the northernmost league in America. ;)

22. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Or call it the Northern North American Soccer League.

23. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KFC did change its name. From "Kentucky Fried Chicken."

24. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC