To win cup we must hire US coach

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by saxman, Jul 10, 2018.

1. saxman

saxman Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Frederick,Maryland
    Just read that ALL 20 previous winners were coached by someone born in that country.

Gotcha!!!

(Please don't think I'm advocating for a US born coach)

2. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Take it you don't like Belgium's chances?

Realize your post was sarcastic, but I have seen people legitimately arguing this. It's correlation instead of causation--countries that produce enough players capable of winning the WC are also a lot more likely to produce managers capable of winning it, and the former is a lot more difficult than the latter.

Guinho repped this.
  3. saxman

saxman Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Frederick,Maryland
    Exactly. But it is fascinating that through 20 World Cups that their hasn't been some foreign coach to take a team all the way.

adam tash repped this.
  4. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Well it's really only in the last 20-30 years or so that the game has become fully internationalized, prior to around 1990/1994 the vast majority of WC players were still playing at clubs in their home countries too.

5. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    As pointed out, it's correlation, not causation. Countries that produce good players also produce good managers.

It's also important to note that 20 results is not a statistically significant sample to draw really any conclusions. We've only ever had 20 World Cups and only 8 winners. Trends that emerge from such a small sample cannot be said to be conclusive, especially if you're making absolute statements.

No European team had ever, ever won outside Europe - and it was received wisdom that Europeans only played well at home because of the climate, because of the fan support, because of timezones, because they're soft - all sorts of explanations proposed by pundits claiming expert opinions. Until Spain in 2010, and then Germany in 2014, and suddenly you don't hear those expert opinions anymore.

6. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. saxman

saxman Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Frederick,Maryland
    Actually I did like Belgium's chances. But now that they are out I can go back to making my ridiculous assertion about hiring a domestic coach.

Guinho repped this.