To the Future: Ajax, 2018-19

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  2. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Match postponed for bad weather or hooliganism

3. There was a week in which in three matches the lights went out in the EPL. At the third match they caught a Chinese in the spark plugs room yanking them out.
    It turned out that a Chinese gambling syndicate was behind it to get the matches frozen, which in the rules of that gambling bunch ment it was a draw.

4. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but I don't think the projections take that into account.

5. Benfica could be banned, or not?

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #382 Orange14, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    What is the issue here? I tried finding something but couldn't; is there a link?

EDIT: Never mind, I found the Der Spiegel article though it was just a one line statement with no further details. It seems as though those issues are for the Portugal FA to address. Given the popularity of Benfica they might be covered up.

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  8. In the Der Spiegel article it was mentioned that based on the leaked documents Benfica is being scrutinized by the authorities for iirc from that article money laundering, match fixing etc. But look it up in that article I posted.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I screwed up big time and ended up paying for the October Benfica match replay. I thought something looked funny and then I figured out at the half that it was deja vu all over again. I missed the Benfica goal where Onana messed up but he came up big in the second half. Defense did just enough to hold on but things need to really be tightened up. I don't think Schöne was helpful at all in the second half and maybe ten Hag should consider subbing him off and moving Blind up to holding MF.

No player ratings as I only saw the 2nd half!!!:(

10. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    #386 BTV802, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    I was at that game too :thumbsup:

Just sent the link to my wife to get the convo going :whistling:

11. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Training ground football for much of the 2nd half and Ajax end up with an easy 1-7 win. de Ligt had a chance to be the first field player to start ten straight matches where Ajax kept a clean sheet (injured for the PSV debacle) and would have joined Edgar Davids and Marc Overmars who did it in the historic 1985 season. It wasn't to be as he messed up with his challenge allowing the Excelsior player to get in on Onana's goal. There was some more sloppy defending later in the match and maybe ten Hag's habit of not rotating players is having an effect. No match next week because of the international break.

Player Ratings:

Onana (6.5) - didn't have much to do and the conceded goal was well taken
    Tagliafico (7) - did some good offensive work going forward
    Blind (7) - decent enough on the day
    de Ligt (6.5) - good other than the one poor challenge
    Mazraoui (6) - just above average in the one half of football he played
    Schöne (7) - very nice free kick and the pace of this match suited him well
    de Jong (7) - looks like he hurt the same hip he injured mid week against Benfica
    van de Beek (7.5) - two well taken goals for my MOTM
    Tadic (7) - solid game again
    Dolberg (7) - looked very good up front
    Ziyech (7) - nice match
    Kristensen (6.5) - still not convinced he is a good defender but he is more than decent going forward
    Neres (6.5) - good to see him on the scoreboard for the first time in league competition
    Huntelaar (6) - did everything right in his short stint at the end of the match

Away to NAC in a fortnight and then the big away CL game with AEK with an opportunity to lock up a knock out match place, something we have not seen in over a decade.

Gabriel Guilarte and BaritoPutra repped this.
  13. It was ridicilous how Excelsior managed/was given the chance to score 4 more times and thanks to bad aiming and Onana they only had one goal against.

14. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'd like to see vdBeek get the start against France

Gabriel Guilarte and BaritoPutra repped this.
  15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This happens in almost every Eredivisie match I watch. There is a lot of sketch defense from every team.

16. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Frenkie De Jong and Donny Vd Beek... that's my dream pairing in the engine room! Two boys that should have a good understanding in each other, and are complementary from skillset standpoints. FDJ can orchestra the attack from deep in his own half, and VDB can supply the goals upfront. It wasn't feasible early in the season because Vd Beek was rusty and out of form, but now that he's firing in all cylinders, this is becoming real! Add a tenacious, energetic and experienced Gino Wijnaldum, I think Koeman will have a solid midfield!! Problem solved.

17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I couldnt agree more. Once the midfield is set in stone all we need is maybe a winger and a world-class striker to complement Depay

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    74% possession and some stretches with some very good passing but in the end just an average performance in front of goal. A couple of shots off the post or crossbar and two right at van Leer. Defense was sketchy in the last ten minutes of the match and needs to tighten up for the trip to Athens. Ajax draw within two points of PSV who host Heerenveen later on.

Player Ratings:

Onana (6.5) - two really nice saves
    Tagliafico (6.5) - really nice cross for the Huntelaar to put away but maybe should have been subbed off so Wöber would have more game time
    Blind (6.5) - solid defending and good distribution of the ball
    de Ligt (6.5) - sloppy on the ball one time but otherwise very good
    Mazraoui (5.5) - almost called for a penalty but the VAR fortunately didn't see anything in it
    Schöne (6.5) - good match and took all the free kicks in the absence of Ziyech
    de Jong (6.5) - very good passing match
    van de Beek (5.5) - active in the first half and subbed off because of a leg injury
    Tadic (6) - tried to create danger on the left wing with variable success
    Dolberg (6) - had a couple of chance but shot right at van Leer
    Neres (6.5) - clanged a hard one off the crossbar
    Labyad (6.5) - really nice volley for goal 2 and had a good half of football
    Huntelaar (6) - nicely taken goal but had a decent chance for a hat trick in only 10 or so minutes of football
    Wöber (NR)

Off to Athens and with a win Ajax move on to the knockout round of the Champions League

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  19. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I wrong in thinking that a draw would get us through as well?

20. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No because everything depends on the Benfica-Bayern match. A Benfica loss away to Bayern sends Ajax into the knock out stage regardless of of the result since they cannot make up the four point differential. I think the only path forward for Benfica is a win at Bayern and Ajax losing to AEK and Bayern. Ajax still have a chance to top the group.

aveslacker repped this.
  22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax U-19 thrashed AEK in the Youth CL today 1-8. Nicolas Kuhn had a hat trick and Che Nunnely a brace. Top striker Brobbey was out injured. U-16 players and top talents Naci Unuvar and Dillion Hoogwerf came on as subs in the 2nd half. Ajax are top of the table with 11 points on three wins and two draws.

BaritoPutra repped this.
  23. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    C'mon guys, wake up. It's time for some CL football. In the second half I'd like to see Huntelaar, Cerny and Labyad. Dolgerg, Donny and Neres aren't convincing so far.