To the Future: Ajax, 2018-19

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You mean the one where he dribbles along the right-wing, turns inside and shoots a curler into the left-corner of the goal??

That one??

2. Is there another one:D

3. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There is also the one where gets fouled, does a Neymar and flops around the ground for half an hour

4. Ah, the "Dying swan flop"...:ROFLMAO:

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    de Jong (calf injury), Wöber (illness forced him off the team sheet Saturday) and Gravenberch are all in the traveling squad of 22 for the Bayern game. Four players need to be dropped for the game day team.

6. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  7. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^ A draw would be a very good outcome IMO. de Jong might be a game time decision and the MF will be crucial to keeping this game close. Bayern have struggled in their past two matches but of course have tremendous talent with almost every starter on an NT side. It should be a fun night of football.

9. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    The Ajax line-up tonight according to AD. No Frenkie de Jong.

Onana, Mazraoui, De Ligt, Blind, Tagliafico, Schöne, Van de Beek, Ziyech, Tadic, Neres, Huntelaar

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax women drew top seeded Lyon in the Women's CL. Not a good draw but Ajax had the lowest coefficient of teams in the draw.

11. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just saw the Mazraoui goal.

12. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Take the draw and get the hell out of dodge.

That free kick by Schone hit the crossbar btw

13. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    What a great match from Ajax.

14. Ajax 10 minutes after the break should have had a 1-3 score. With better aiming it could have ended in a disastrous evening for Bayern.

15. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Our best game in the last 5 years hands down. Can't believe it's the same team that played against PSV and Fortuna. The two-faced god Janus is our deity. Keep up the good work guys.

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This is what football is all about. The passion and the effort from your team when they are up against an opponent who have better players. Ajax put in a massive shift from all the players and I'll confess that ten Hag had the tactics right. Defense made all the big stops and even though Ajax were poor passing in the MF they created more dangerous chances on goal than Bayern. Ajax are now STAY TOP OF THE TABLE.

Player Ratings:

ten Hag (8.5) - I had my doubts when I saw the starting lineup but it was the right lineup. I had my doubts about de Wit coming on but it was the right decision; I had doubts about Dolberg coming on but it was the right decision.

Onana (8) - commanded the box
    Tagliafico (7) - had more of the ball in the first half and saw little when Ajax went bunker down
    Wöber (7.5) - great match and has to be considered as a starter along side de Ligt
    el Capitan de Ligt (8) - Rock solid and some great interventions
    Mazraoui (7.5) - really fine game, except.............................I think he was supposed to mark Hummels on the goal
    Schöne (6.5) - played super hard but just not quick enough for the Bayern MF
    Blind (6.5) - slowness really showed but as with Schöne played his heart out
    van de Beek (6) - great game, except...........................should have done better on the shot that went wide
    Ziyech (8) - a rocket that forced Neuer into a great save and boy did he ever play defense tonight
    Tadic (8) - all over the field tonight
    Neres (7) - had some good moments in the first half and very quiet in the second
    de Wit (6) - put in a good shift and was decent on the ball late
    Dolberg (6) - drew a foul at a critical time

Whew, I'm now out of breath and wonder what team will come out against AZ on the weekend.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    DeLigt's value should go up even more after this game

18. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    When is the last time Ajax were top of the table in the CL??
    You probably have to go back to the 90's or something

19. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Strong performance all around! The only disappointment was the lack of goal to win the match. Tadic's miss on close range with only Neuer to beat was a pity, given his quality. Then there was V.d. Beek went inches wide. Tagliafico had his saved. Schone free-kick saved and bounce off the upper bar. Also, another Tadic's shot went to sky in the first half (although this one was from a difficult angle). Missed chances sucked, but all things considered, a point in an away game against the powerhouse of the group is a welcomed result!

De Ligt was fantastic, rock solid and impenetrable. Onana played well, and kept his cool (I cringed whenever he was on the ball, it took him eternity to get rid of). Ziyech was probably my MoTM given his excellent movement throughout the match.

Bonus track... ex-Ajax Justin Kluivert scored (his first goal with AS Roma, I believe?)

20. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top of the table after the away match to Bayern. I'll take it.

21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I actually think Benfica away will be tougher than Bayern away

22. joudre

joudre Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Maybe since 2004[emoji85]

23. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't follow the Portugese league closely, so I don't know what Benfica's form is or will be, but we were a bit fortunate in catching Bayern at a down moment. From what I read, Bayern fans seemed pretty unhappy with having Ribery and Robben start over Gnabry and Rodriguez.

25. They can be unhappy, but I donot see what those two bring more to the table than Robbery, other than being younger. That Rodrigues guy hasnot done anything since the WC2014 that's worth to mention and Gnabry I judge to be below Bayern grade.