To The Creators of Pokemon & Other Japanimation

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Niloc

Niloc Member

Jul 31, 2004
    US, Japan, Korea, UK
    In all honesty, Japanese animation is leagues ahead of US animation right now, in terms of ability, and artistic style. Whoever said they are badly drawn needs to check out Studio Ghibli, ghost in a shell, etc...

honestly, US animation sucks balls in comparison to Japanese animation

PS Transformers was a Japanese cartoon too btw

2. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Pokemon merely bemuses me, but then I'm also in the cane-and-geritol set.

I've tried watching Dragonball Z. And trying it was. I swear, half the episode consisted of characters grimacing like they needed a gallon of Ex-Lax. I've literally been to city council meetings that moved faster than DragonballZZZZZZZZ.

Having watched other Japanese anime with friends who are into that sort of thing, I believe the relationship can be explained thusly:

Japanese anime : DragonballZ :: US soccer : Jordan Older

3. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
  4. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I grew up on this stuff. Anime can be good.

5. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I despise this "watching movies ironically" stuff (that's why I will never click on the "cheesy fantasy movies" thread in the movies forum - could get me red carded I fear :D) but Kickers is simply worthless otherwise... I absolutely hate those cheap Japanese kids shows that were all over sunday morning television in the 80s/early 90s here (Mila and Heidi are other "good" ones...).

6. Midorit

Midorit Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Tokyo
    Is this true??!!I sort of grew up watching the classic Transformers,believing that it was American.

I also watched lots of Tom&Jerry.

7. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    The original Transformers was an American show, produced by Marvel, although in co-operation with and animated by Japanese companies. Some of the spin-off series were produced in Japan though.

8. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    R u stalking me? :-D

Well, it's not quality TV, and I prefered 'The show with the mouse' or Disney club, but I still liked watching it.
    Only good thing about Pokemon is the Gameboy game.

9. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    When I have to work I suddenly start to be interested in the stranges boards on this site. I even posted on Women's soccer... once.

And Hallo Spencer > Sendung mit der Mouse! (although, seen in retrospective, there's a strange Big Brother theme going on in this show...)

It saddens me to learn that there seems to have been a butchered American version of the show :(: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallo_Spencer

10. Niloc

Niloc Member

Jul 31, 2004
    US, Japan, Korea, UK
    I find that a lot of people really do not know where the "Transformers" originally came from. Yes, Marvel comics published the comics in the US, but just like the Power Rangers were a spin-off of Japanese Ranger TV shows, so too were the Transformers a spin-off of the Japanese robots in the various "Daiakuron" and "Microman" series.

In short, Marvel bought the rights to air the above mentioned Japanese animations in the US. They then meshed them into one and created the Transformers. The interesting thing is that Marvel didn't really create any of the original characters in the series either. All of the Autobots and Decepticons in the original series are carbon copies of robots that appeared in the "Car Robot Team" of "Daiakuron."

Anyways... Transformers was such a HUGE hit in the US that the Japanese aired the series in Japan as well.

Also the company that owns the Transformer brand is not Marvel. They only have the rights to show the series in the US. The owners of the brand are Takara (some of you might know them... they made a lot of Japanese Super Nintendo games).

11. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    The show was based on the toys, but the episodes were written and directed by Americans. The concept of the show was developed by the American comic writer/artist Jim Shooter.

12. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    This is like reading a Rossi thread... i'm out of here...:D

but jokes asides - let the kids watch their pokemon - yeah i'd be happier if it was the jetsons or something else... but what you gonna do... besides like all things it's trendiness will pass...