To The Creators of Pokemon & Other Japanimation

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    If I EVER see one of you clowns on the street, you'd better cover up!

WTF is with these cartoons? As far as I can tell, these little characters fly through the air and attack each other. Umm - I fail to see the "point" if a cartoon is supposed to have one. It's massively annoying and my son seems to like it despite my protestations (or maybe because of them).

I'm not that old & we grew up on Bugs, Tom & Jerry, Popeye, Flintstones, etc. Good ol' 'Merican azz-kicking, dynamitin', frying-pan-to-the-face cartoon fun. I like Spongebob because the characters are great. But this Japanese stuff is seriously lame. Cars - yes. Cartoons - NOOOOO!

2. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Hoobs, Teletubbies, The Magic Roundabout, Barney.

It's not just the Japanese who make crazy ass kids tv. Besides whats the problem with kids watching them? It's not like they are teaching them anything bad on the contrary they seem to promote friendship and being a well rounded good person. Kids should be allowed to enjoy crazy, magical, flashy stuff because they are kids and it only happens once.

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Cheers! Those little fckin' pocket monsters must go! I don't ever want to hear what type of powers a Char-Zar can have. I don't ever want to see one of the "All new" books come home in a book order. At least the cartoon has been banned in my house. I've tried baseball , football cards and wacky packs to divert attention, but it is only a temporary fix before they are trying to score some Pokemon.

But the war isn't over, Pokemon is an official sponsor of US Youth Soccer:

http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/index....nnel_id=&url_article_id=1437&change_well_id=2

But there is worse. They could be asking for PPV to watch "Raw is War."

4. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    So far I have been lucky and the only TV my daughter watches (aside from EPL, La Liga, and MLS is...
    [​IMG]
    Love this channel, no annoying cartoon characters (aside from that Dora the Explorer) and even better, no commercials.

And Moose A. Moose rocks a great rocking.

5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    You have a girl and should be insulated from this scourge.

6. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noggin is pretty sweet. I'm also fond of most of the PBS cartoons and the PBS Kids Sprout (all day cartoons!) channel, except that one has commercials now. (Grrr...)

I've found that being a parent means a slow, steady degradation of television-watching standards.

"No Disney channel! Ever!" is now "I love the Wiggles!"

7. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "point" of Pokemon is to make money and so far they have been very very successful...Owned by Nintendo and developed by Satoshi Tajiri, they are now ten years old. Pokemon (Pocket Monsters or Poketto Monsutā) have violent pedigrees and wouldn't you know it, the Muslims see Pokemon as a "Jewish-Zionist conspiracy to turn Arab children away from Islam..." Yeah... no kidding! There are a few Christian groups who see Satanic elements of the Pokemon craze but most of the objection to them has been from the Muslim world. The Pokemon empire began as collecting cards, morphed into the toy world, and now represent every phase of multi-media. Any parent associated with Pokemon sees them as a liability to finances; escalating and re-occurring costs (as with Power Rangers and TMNT) are part of any toy phenomena...

8. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    What ever happened to the good ol' days when cartoons were about US Military Special Ops teams saving the world from a massive terrorist organization.

[​IMG]

Oh wait......

9. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a pretty generalized usage of historicism. Pretty much anything ever developed is influenced by both the good and bad elements of the creator, time and place.

Oh, and everything is produced to make money... which is the whole point of capitalism. Can you actually be republican AND hate capitalism? I'd think your head might explode from the paradox.

10. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of capitalism is not driving away consumers.... or their parents! :D

11. Midorit

Midorit Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Tokyo
    I sincerely hope no parent on this board is not a spazz like this poster:(

12. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I grew up with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers (When it was good), and yes Pokemon. It used to be ok, then they changed it too much. This was when I was in like 6th grade

13. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every generation had these addictive "kiddie shows". My parents had them. My grandparents had similar forms of entertainment; they were not necessarily TV driven, but based on the same premise.

Nothing wrong with it, really. I'm a firm believer that an active parent can surmount any outside sources fighting for their child's attention. The way it should be. Cancelling out the background noise doesn't make for a better parent, just a sheltered child.

14. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happened to good old Tweety Bird and Bugs Bunny?

<Gets cane and hobbles out of the forum>

15. Midorit

Midorit Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Tokyo
    Pokemon among us:

[​IMG]

16. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  17. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanimation

Read it. You'll look like less of an idiot later.

18. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    :rolleyes: Relax
    He's allowed to have an opinion.

That being said I LOOOOOVVVED Battle of the Planets and Voltron.
    To this day I would still watch them. Although Pokemon isn't my cup of tea.

Beats the hell out of Dora the Explorer. My god that bitch is annoying.
    "I don't give a shit what's in your backpack and ******** that monkey friend of yours too!"

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Are you the "Grumpy Old Troll Who Lives Under the Bridge" in disguise?

20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I know what it is & you can't convince me that outside of the merchandising, this sh!t would be popular with kids in America. It's corny, badly drawn (eyes like saucers) and pointless. If that's your thing then more power to you.

21. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Answer me this and I'll let you know.

What does someone make but never uses, then sells to someone who doesn't need it but sells to someone who uses it and never knows it?

22. Midorit

Midorit Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Tokyo
    Maybe you understand it but it's not as if Pokemon is popular among kids in Japan in itself.Its popularity grew out of the "cards"(I don't know how to call them)and it was already quite a problem,at least as early as four years ago,as it was,justly,seen as an exploitation of children.

Isn't this what kids like?Who said kids have rotten taste?:D

23. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    not sure if you've stated it quite right, but it is [result]a coffin[/result]

24. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Sure.

[​IMG]

I'm not a fan of Pokemon BTW. It's clearly a merchandising support series but that's far from being the only one or even a Japanese specialty.

Concerning the wide eyes, it's part of the kawaii (cute) style in manga comics and animes. Using such features has always been done in animation (hence Donald) and was in fact adopted by Osamu Tezuka who inspired most manga drawers after WWII.

Is it because the Japanese are ashamed of their eyes ? Maybe partially, but the most likely answer is that it's far more efficient to be expressive with big eyes for a cartoon character and most of the time it's related with cuteness and helps being attached to said character. Cartoons do not have to look like reality to be deemed as well drawn or not...Well, isn't that the aim BTW ? Stressing particular aspects of reality without being necessarily realistic or looking like real. What would be the point then ?

25. CutePuppy

CutePuppy Red Card

Nov 14, 2006
    I don't like Pakimon but like Dragonball Z a lot:)