To the 37 Others ... SIGAN PARTICIPANDO

Discussion in 'Boca Juniors' started by vipnerd, Dec 20, 2007.

1. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román
    The draw for the Libertadores was done a few hours back ... 37 teams, of which 12 will play an early stage, will try to win OUR cup.

This is how the entire draw looks ...

LLAVE A:CA Lanús (ARG) vs. Olmedo (ECU) [L]
    LLAVE B: Cruzeiro (BRA) [L] vs. Cerro Porteño (PAR)
    LLAVE C: Arsenal (ARG) [L] vs. Mineros de Guayana (VEN)
    LLAVE D: Atlas (MEX)* [L] vs. LA Paz FC (BOL)
    LLAVE E: Montevideo Wanderers (URU) vs. Cienciano (PER) [L]
    LLAVE F: Chico (COL) [L] vs. Audax Italiano (CHI)

GROUP STAGE:
    GRUPO 1:
    San Lorenzo (ARG)
    Real Potosí (BOL)
    Caracas FC (VEN)
    Ganador B

GRUPO 2:
    Estudiantes LP (ARG)
    Danubio (URU)
    Deportivo Cuenca (ECU)
    Ganador A

GRUPO 3:
    Boca Juniors (ARG)
    Colo Colo (CHI)
    Unión Atl. Maracaibo (VEN)
    Ganador D

GRUPO 4:
    Flamengo (BRA)
    Nacional (URU)
    Coronel Bolognesi (PER)
    Ganador E

GRUPO 5:
    River Plate (ARG)
    Univ. Catolica (CHI)
    Univ. San Martín (PER)
    America (MEX)**

GRUPO 6:
    Santos FC (BRA)
    San José (BOL)
    Cucuta (COL)
    Chivas Guadalajara (MEX)

GRUPO 7:
    São Paulo FC (BRA)
    Sportivo Luqueño (PAR)
    Atlético Nacional (COL)
    Ganador F

GRUPO 8:
    Fluminense (BRA)
    Libertad (PAR)
    LDU Quito (ECU)
    Ganador C

Notes:
    * 2nd Place of the Interligas '08 being played in January = Atlas
    ** 1st Place of the Interligas '08 being played in January = America
    Group A: America, Atlas, Morelia, Toluca
    Group B: Cruz Azul, Monterrey, Pumas, San luis

Who will be our challengers to the title this time?

Will get Colo Colo, a Venezuelan team and 1 trip to a high altitude city ... lets show the gashinas how it is done. :cool:

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see the gayinas lose, and San Lorenzo, but it also bothers me in a way. What the hell is wrong with Argentine football?

San Lorenzo gets their ass kicked in Venezuela. Even if they're playing like crap they should beat Caracas. Estudiantes loses too, in Ecuador. Veron alone should beat that team!

And River, who the ******** did they lose to? I'd never even heard of that team before this year.

Really, is it a fluke or are we that bad? I thought the Argentine league was going to be strong this year.

3. ElMuneco

ElMuneco Member

Jun 27, 2004
    Encinitas, CA
    Club:
    CA River Plate

I think part of the problem is that Argentine clubs go into these matches a bit overconfident. They must have his feeling that it's going to be a cakewalk over these smaller clubs, when in reality, it's not. Especially when playing away. These smaller clubs get up big time for these matches. Like one Peruano player stated after the victory, they treated the match as if it were a cup final. Or something along those lines. Obviously Diaz, Sensini, and Simeone didn't do there homework on the clubs they lost to. Or, maybe they did, but the players didn't. Just my .02.:cool:

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, that could be the case. I hope they learned their lesson. I still expect all three of these teams should advance to the next round, but we'll see.

Lets see if Lanus is a bit more humble tonight. They should beat Danubio.

5. elbp

elbp Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Cordoba, ARG
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The times where teams were able to play the 'respect' card safely are long gone. This is particularly the case at the NT level but I think it's also happening at the club level. The tactical differences have all but vanished and while technique differences still exist, they are not that evident as decades ago (also, a quick and effective way to overcome those technical differences is the naturalization of Brazilian and Argentine rejects). El Muneco pointed out another likely reason, which I believe contributes to the 'problem'. Of course, it's a lot more complex than this post-it analysis but I believe these factors are behind the repeated poor showings of Argentine teams in the CL. And there's of course the issue of confidence (which is the equivalent of respect but is actively held by the team in point and their rivals). And, for me, it goes a long way to explaining why Boca has been so successful in the CL (and in other cups) over the last 8-10 years.

I was about to point out that Lanus was looking good for a home victory, but that does not seem to be the case anymore.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Looking good now, although it's not an easy game and it's still not over.

7. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    well, this isn't much of a problem this year, but in the past some teams like Gimnasia LP had been completely disbanned once they got to the final.

I think River was clearly overconfident. They also play a win big or lose big style of footie IMO with the 4 attackers (though not sure if they played that way the other day as I didn't see the game). But the 3-3-1-3 or 4-2-1-3 formation (forget exactly but something along those lines) make them very vulnerable against a team that is solid in the back.

But I think the main reason is high expectations. I wasn't shocked at all by the San Lorenzo loss. Look how Caracas did last year and how badly San Lorenzo played against Newell's and it's not that surprising, especially with the lack of discipline. I'll also give Estudiantes a pass since they did have to play in the high altitude

8. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

Caracas has 1 starter from last year. It is mostly youngsters now, but they are disciplined and run a lot. San Lorenzo can't damage with 1 forward ... simple as that.

9. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Don't you think you're overreacting? This is the group stage. At this point those matches still don't mean much. Plus they were all away.

Last year Boca lost 3-0 to both Toluca and Cienciano when playing away. I don't think it means much yet.

10. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

When exactly did Boca lose 3-0 at Toluca? :confused: (With 10 and without Roman, Palacio and Palermo ... pavada de handicap)

River lost to the team with least history, with the least fans (los de afuera son de palo -never more useless), at sea level, against teams that haven't qualified in years ... last year, the sole Lima team in Libertadores bagged 0 points in 6 games.

It doesn't get any worst. Had River got red cards, there could be some sort of minor excuse ...

11. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    It was 2-0 sorry, 3-0 was against Cienciano. I know Roman wasn't there but still if you saw that game you remember Boca was lucky not to get a goleada. All I'm saying is that Despite those bad results Boca won the whole thing. I don't think it means much yet. Let's see how they perform when playing against the same teams at home, then we can make judgments.

12. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    Personally, it's not the same losing to Toluca and Cienciano in that high altitude than losing against UdeSM and Caracas. I mean Toluca is a good Mexican team and though Cienciano isn't big team, they at least have won 2 international titles (and against Boca and River no less) as opposed to those teams River lost to

13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    - Toluca had finished 16th place of 18 teams in the Mexican League that same season that they defeated Boca.
    - In 2007, San Martin were crowned champions in the same league as Cienciano (Cienciano finished second).
    - Caracas had a good Libertadores, and even gave favorites Santos a hard time (5-4 global score).

Don't get me wrong, River's performances vs. Caracas and U. San Martin were embarrasing, but I just thought I'd bring out those facts (especially the first two, in response to your claims of the "tougher" teams Boca had to face).

14. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    your forgetting one thing though, the altitude factor and as for history wise, those teams are still not as embarrasing as losing to a 4 year old team and a team from Venezuela

15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, I was overreacting a bit. But it's because some of my employees seem to get such a kick every time an Argentine team loses. God, it almost makes me want River to win some games. (Well not really)

I should fire them all!

16. devilman

devilman Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston,Tx.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Toluca also a season prior came in 2nd in the mexican league and were Concacaf Champion cup runners up to America , and a season prior to that were league champions with 'Tolo' Gallego still coaching , this was also the same toluca that traded their striker Bruno Marioni for Erwin Avalos who didn't even score a single goal in the mexican league.

17. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

Sssshhhhhh ... you are going to frustrate the kid! Don't you see he is trying to fool those who have no clue? ;)

18. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

Better yet, tell ALL of them: Sigan Participando! :D