Titanfall

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Dills, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the XBL gamertag thread:

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good call, should have looked there. But to be fair, some people who did post there have changed their since.

3. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear that ... cough @General Disarray cough.

And I think I'm in that boat, too.

General Disarray repped this.
  4. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tip: Use your burn cards. With a limit around 29 you will quickly hit the limit and end up missing out on unlocking the more rare cards.

5. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you use these? I have 2 slots open, have cards in both, but when the round ends they're still there.

And just because I can ...

http://1drv.ms/1cYnv6s

Was watching some of your video clips @NORML ... nice zipline kill.

NORML repped this.
  6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you die during a game you have the chance to use a burn card before you respawn. The option is there, simply press a button and choose the card, then you can respawn.

7. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only happens after dying, before respawning?

8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, you can't start a match and choose a burn card.

9. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually you can trigger a burn card at the beginning of a match

10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, NORML is right, I was wrong. During the sequence before the game starts, on the ship you'll see the button to use a burn card, or to change your load out.

11. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I'm in... I am on Spring Break this week so I will have some time... NORML has me on his friends list...

I think I hit level 27 last night... very addicting...

Some thoughts I have about it:

- the earlier mentioned friends list for rankings is missing
    - with all of the AI it feels like a lot more players out there
    - have only had minimal lag, but when i did have it, wow, i was spraying bullets everywhere
    - the game reminds me of Lost Planet, when it first came out... the mechs, the speed, the walls... I love Lost Planet and felt it was the first Xbox 360 game that took advantage of the system...
    - I wish I could see which of the campaign episodes I haven't won on yet, to get the achievement... or that I could choose to be Militia or IMC, since I have all the Militia ones done...

12. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what they say, even the sun shines on a dog's ass.

In classic Hearty Dills fashion, in two consecutive matches last night, I went from "Best in Class" with like 20/5/2 grunt/pilot/titan kills to bringing up the rear with a whopping 12 attrition points.

The more things change (new game), the more they stay the same (inconsistent mediocrity).

13. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    X360 version delayed until April 8th. Only 2 weeks, but still.

14. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even a screencap from the 360 version. I have little faith in it.

15. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with ya but a happy result from this oversight is that I've started to come around on my original opinion of the campaign due to having to play it so much.

I' guilty of this from time to time. Have one good round then start thinking I'm hot stuff and slack off early in the following round and never get any solid footing.

Thought this video was pretty cool at showing just how wild the parkouring can be in the game.

Before watching this; not being all hardcore parkour, I thought I was close to reaching the peak of what ya could do but this showed me I quite a ways to go.

Kinda like that ya have to finish certain challenges to regenerate, I don't think I would have ever used the EVA-8 in the game without it.

16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i watched my bro play this for an hour or so a little over a week ago and wasn't that impressed. i mean, the detail looks pretty nice, but i don't recall feeling that i was seeing anything revolutionary. it honestly just looked like a more detailed cod with giant ass robots that you sometimes get in and shoot more. now, in total fairness, i was quite inebriated, but i'd think that'd actually make things look more impressive. it just looked like an advanced frag-fest. what's the big deal?

18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny you ask that, because I've begun to do so myself. I was so pumped when I first picked it up, thought the in-game training/tutorial was well done, but once I got into the main game I found that it wasn't really holding my attention all that much. I'd play a couple rounds, then bail and do something else instead. Some reviews talk about how it's a "re-skin" of CoD with one major improvement, those big ass robots ... others also talk about how getting in a titan (even for those who can't spend a ton of time playing the game) helps make you feel like a complete and utter badass. Maybe against the AI grunts/spectres, but not against other pilots, or titans for that matter.

At the end of the day, those who can (and do) spend more time playing the game become more familiar with the maps, get the better upgrades and "toys" as it were, and are able to smack us noobs around with relative ease. It's the nature of the beast, but it's also kind of frustrating. Maybe playing with friends (@NORML, @Dante, et al) would help my experience. Maybe these rumored future private matches would be beneficial as well.

I also fail to see how the game is so revolutionary. Perhaps because it uses Microsoft's cloud servers to deal with the game environments and AI? But, when you boil down to it, this game is only a 6v6 shooter with AI "filler" to make it feel more intense and populated.

I don't have tons of free time to play on my Xbone, so when I do, I prefer to have a very exhilarating experience filled with those OMG, "Xbox, record that" moments. Not really feeling that right now, and I don't have the overwhelming desire to fire the game up after my boys are tucked in bed.

</old man rant>

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I absolutely LOVE Titanfall. I haven't really played a fps multi-player game since Modern Warfare 2, I thought all that came after were meh. I absolutely HATED Battlefield 4, for me it was one of the worst gaming experiences ever. Everything about the game was atrociously bad and to be honest, I don't think I will ever buy another BF game it was so bad. I haven't played a good fps shooter since MW 2, but to be honest I still played a lot of Halo.

For me Titanfall is what COD used to feel like, but only much better. The whole 6v6 argument for me is irrelevant because there's so much going on at once. Between the players, the grunts, the spectres, the Titans in AI mode, etc, there's plenty to shoot at and plenty to get shot from. I like the running and jumping and all of the little add ons (especially the burn cards) to the pilots, their weapons and Titans. You're constantly evolving your character and you can customize your characters and Titans for the various game types.

I love how you can decide to play stealthily, or run and gun in your face. You can use your titan as a guard dog, or get in him and beat the crap out of players and other Titans. It's not your typical shooter, the little things make it so much better.

I can say for myself, and I know NORML since I've heard him say it numerous times, there have been plenty of Xbox, record that moments.

electrickeeper and Dills repped this.
  20. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my favorite part; getting 6 guys and just having a night of it. Throw in a few beers every couple of rounds and it's a fun time.

NORML and Dante repped this.
  21. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will agree it isn't revolutionary, the hype for the game was probably bigger than it deserved but dang if it isn't exactly what I wanted in an FPS. I'll still keep diving in for some BF4 from time to time but this has pretty much kicked COD to the curb.

I still think the training didn't emphasis the parkour aspect enough for the game. Pointing out the basics for the Titan is fine,all ya need are the basics and then actual matches to learn the ins and outs of how to get the best out of different situations. While just learning the basics of parkouring, in my opinion, just isn't enough. Especially when the "open" portion of the parkour tutorial is a small cramped room. Once ya jump into a live match the number one goal is to stay alive and the last thing you want to do is get shot in the back frantically double jumping while ya fail at trying to get to the roof of a building. An obstacle course with maybe some stationary turrets and a friends leaderboard for extra motivation would have been great.

Yup, that night we got steamrolled by a team of multi-regenerations was still a hoot. Don't get me wrong, I was happy when we found another lobby but being embarrassed as a group was a whole lot easier.

electrickeeper and Dante repped this.
  22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe a "private" server type thing, like BF4's training grounds island map, would be beneficial.

I never really got into the CoD scene much except to play the campaign of one. Which one had the snowmobile escape chapter? Never dabbled with CoD multiplayer. Maybe that's why I'm not so gung ho about Titanfall ... yet.

23. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Dills