Timothy Weah

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Scotty, Jun 11, 2018.

1. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Backup to all of Cavani, Neymar, and Mbappé all season? Decent shot at minutes if so

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    First career goal for Weah in a competitive club fixture.

Also...………….first trophy:

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    the lineup refers to my post further above which is fine and so is your opinion altho the word anoint is a little vague.

Actually I was suggesting what we could do based on Pulisic and McKennie not being called up for difficult Sept window when they are sorting out things at club, vying for starts, preparing for UEFA CL. I would actually start Jozy and sub in Sargent. As somebody said here, Sargent might not be ripe for starting at Bremen yet and a good showing against Brazil for a half could help,

4. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weah had a good match. He kept working hard and being in the right place. The goal he scored was perfect positioning. He was open just the same a few minutes earlier and Di Maria took a poor angled shot instead of slotting the ball back to Weah. I was worried Weah would figure screw working this hard if he isn't going to give me the ball but he kept at it and it paid off. Hope the coach gave DiMaria a little chat after the match.

USSoccerNova and adam tash repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Would be good, but there's also Nkunku, Di Maria, Draxler and Guedes (he might leave on loan) in front of Weah. Jese is also still at the club, although I'm not sure he'd be ahead of Weah or that he's staying.

I think Weah will get into a number of games, but probably won't make the 18 regularly. Maybe the first or second guy into it on the attacking side, if someone is unavailable. Thats not necessarily a bad position to be in this season. Its hard to break into PSG's first team. Getting a goal helps, and having a good season in what will likely be limited minutes will also help.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    A loan to Arsenal with an option to buy would be great. (Welbeck is on his way out)

7. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    True, but his dad was and is still very much a public figure even after retiring. Talking more about dealing with being in the public eye, that kind of thing.

8. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    He's done just about everything he could have to this point to state his case. If he keeps it up, he'll get his share of minutes.

9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean "he isnt [sic] as far along as werder [sic] had thought"?

He's an 18 year-old without a single professional club game under his belt nor a competitive game since May 2017 (I think).

10. nyjimmy

nyjimmy Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Have Weah and Pulisic ever played together? Maybe in the Hershey, PA game?

11. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a lot of people thought he would play for the first team this season and think he should play for the usmnt...but he's a youth player with no professional minutes.

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Being on the bench for USMNT friendlies isn't the same as saying he should "play" for USMNT in games that matter like Gold Cup, or qualifiers. Bremen finished the season strong and it makes sense not to start changing everything with an 18 yr old right off the bat starting at cf. that doesn't mean he will not play for first teams this year. If he plays some sub minutes v. Brazil and has a good showing it will help his case with his club.

13. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember when Sarachan didn't put him on against France because Sarachan is a dipshit.

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Good job from @Eighteen Alpha to find this

Let's hope Sarachan brings him in for Brazil and Mexico and we see the right supporting cast.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  15. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to think we have a real coach by then but I realize that's a pipe dream with the USMNT.

Master O repped this.
  16. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To have a real coach, the US needs a real federation, but that's looking more and more every day like an impossible dream.

adam tash repped this.
  17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Marko72 and sakibomb523 repped this.
  18. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Good breakdown here focusing on the quality of his runs, which is elite IMO.

I wonder if our best formation going forward would be something like a 4-1-3-2 with Sargent and Weah up top. Those two, with Sargent’s holdup and link up play and Weahs movement. Could be dynamite.

19. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    #119 FeedhimtothepigsArold, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    If they keep trotting him out as a Striker and he proves he can continue in the lone striker role......Could be interesting.

None of the players you mentioned here are out and out strikers. Jese, but like you said probably on the outs. If you take away Cavani they dont have many other options. None that I can think of off the top my head, other than Mbappe, if you consider him purely an out and out striker.

If Weah continues to get stronger physically ( and grow) coupled with his ability to hold the ball up decent because of his technical ability. I really see Tuchel seeing him as an asset. Tuchel likes to play youth and has said he will give the young guys a chance. Also, Tuchel puts emphasis on fitness because it allows the press to happen. Weah appears to have the fitness and energy thing down.

20. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    It seems like he's got a real chance to start about 25% of PSG's games this season (across all competition) and get minutes off the bench in another 50% or so, assuming he continues to make the most of the minutes he gets--and he's done absolutely everything you could possibly expect him to so far.

I also hope he continues to get minutes both at the 9 and on the wing, as I can see him splitting time between the two positions for the US for the duration of his career.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Look at yesterday. Didn't even start. Cavani, Mbappe and Guedes weren't available. He's only the third sub. He's producing when he plays, but where's the playing time coming from this season? I doubt he's a regular in the 18. Neither of the two main CF's played (Cavani and Mbappe), yet they still didn't start Weah. They started a winger at CF before Weah.

I agree that Tuchel likes to play youth, but Nkunku is ahead of Weah among academy players, and if Guedes stays, thats yet another youth. Mbappe is also a youth.

22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you ever enjoy anything? I enjoy a lot of but not all of your stuff but really? A 18 year old comes in for a 10 ten team and scores and you're still upset?

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    In which ways do you think Agudelo is better than Weah?

ceezmad, Marko72 and gunnerfan7 repped this.
  24. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :laugh: at this take.

I almost can't imagine a worse one. Boo, he's got more minutes than Carleton, in Ligue 1, at the same age, for P$G, and has 2 goals. Yeah, he's doing bad....

If he gets 10-15 appearances for them he'll have had a more-accomplished season than 95 percent of our pool.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #125 ussoccer97531, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Angered the mob.

Again, where is the playing time coming from? He was an 80th minute sub with two starters out, and another bench guy also out. That reflects well on his standing? Who is he leapfrogging? Lets hear specifics. It doesn't seem like anyone wants to address this because they don't have specifics. Lets live in fantasy land.

I also never said anything bad about Weah. He has an uphill battle for playing time this season is what I've said. Requires Guedes to go, maybe Draxler or di Maria to go and also to somehow be earlier into the rotation than Nkunku (who is very good and playing well). Doesn't seem like he'll play much. Will I get apologies for the attacks my way when Weah isn't regularly making the 18? Its unfortunate, but barring big changes, it doesn't look like he'll have a big role. It seems like most want to just sweep all this under the rug. Most coaches do not just leapfrog the youth players over veterans in the squad or even older young players. Pulisic and McKennie got very lucky in that regard.