Timothy Weah

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Scotty, Jun 11, 2018.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    That would be an interesting formation to run out against Brasil.

2. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would die. In ecstasy. It would be far too good to be true for US soccer team fans.

That is, if Guzan/Howard were not in goal. Steffen, please.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The backline would need some adjustments. Drop Brooks. Move Miazga centrally. Add CCV to RCB.

4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    can we get this thread focused or just append it to another one? I shouldn't have read about how good Trapp, Delgado, and Parker (which none of them are) are in a Weah thread. Or that Pulisics defense is suspect enough (which it isnt) that he is fighting one available spot.

I'll start...

I've always seen the potential in Weah, but wasnt convinced. He has improved dramatically in the last year or two. He seems to have a great attitude which should help him stay on the right path. Ultimately, I think his best role is as a striker, but like that he can/is play/ing out wide. It will give him more opportunities to get on the field and help become a much more well rounded player.

5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You're not convinced by Weah and you don't think trapp, Degado and Parker are any good. As Spock would say, perfectly logical. And wrong.

If you cant see the value in Trapp, Parker and Delgado, it is likely you would not see how good Weah is either. All 4 would be in my best xi with Pulisic subbing in for Weah.

Lets hope weah, delgado, trapp and parker all play v Brazil and Mexico so you can see what I mean.

6. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weah's finishing is the one part of his game he really needs to work on, and then if he sees he Is going to be deployed more on the wing, he needs to get that ability of tracking back and making smart runs both tucking in and staying out. All things that come with him playing and getting regular time.

Big next 24 months for him. Hopefully he finds a place of regular playing time like Miazga did.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  7. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks will be over 30 at the next WC, so I'm good with that. Same reason I want us to pass Trapp by. He's good today but good enough to start for 3-4 years? Don't think so and sure hope not with the younger talent coming up.

That lineup reflects real change and hope for the future.

8. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incorrect. People keep thinking Brooks is older than he is. He is 29 during the 2022 World Cup ... still in the prime for a defender.

xbhaskarx, rgli13, jjmack and 3 others repped this.
  9. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My mistake, thanks.

He sure seems to be slowing down before my eyes, so I'll still take EPB/CCV/Miazga back there. Brooks is reserve for me in the form I last saw of him even though I always thought he was our #1 in the past.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It needs work at the highest levels, which is the case for every young striker in the world outside of Mbappe. They all struggle with this at the senior level. This is the biggest adjustment for strikers moving from youth football to senior football. Less time, less space, better defenders, better goalkeepers.

I think he's actually really good at this for a #9. One of the best areas of his game, IMO.

manfromgallifrey91 repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We are going to need a couple of players at/just below/over 30. Your whole team can't be 20-25.

Brooks would seem like a good candidate for that. Talent wise, he can compete with the more talented younger generation. He's a NT veteran by now, and his club form at his position may be better than anyone else's club form. The issue is the injuries, and the inability to transfer over the club form to the NT. If those two things can't be corrected by him, he might very well not be on the 2022 WC roster, but I think he's definitely one of the top CB candidates four years out.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #62 onefineesq, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    He certainly does seem to have his fair share of injury problems. I was not arguing for him to be the starter in 2022, but I wanted to make sure that we are working from the correct set of facts. Personally, I would suspect that Brooks is surpassed and no longer a starter in 2022 (barring other injuries). But again, that is my best guess.

laxcoach repped this.
  13. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    luca modric is 32.....

age should be considered on a case by case basis.

obviously you dont want a team of 30-somethings.....but an arbitrary cutoff of over 30 in 2022 is way extreme...and will likely cost the team a lot of quality.

An Unpaved Road and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wonder if we would have the wisdom of taking somebody else over Brooks when his club performance isn't reproduced at int'l level. I think he may be one of those who benefits from not being called up because he has physical issues which don't respond well to int'l call ups. I would miss his passing and scoring.

p.s. edit: just realized this is the Timthy Weah thread.Cudda fooled me. Anyway, does anybody know if Weah is starting tomorrow against Arsenal? The World Cup crew still isn't playing as far as I know. Weah can get to work on taking that spot away from Mbappe.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wake me when we have a Modric type approaching retirement. Those comparisons do no good IMO.

But Brooks is in the 23 for me everytime. Maybe Trapp too. Just don't think they're starters in 2022.

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? I would expect that a lot of the big players are either still gone, or just now returning. I would say he has a fair chance to start, but I expect him to get a half even if he does not.

17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I said I wasn't.... as in the past. He is looking like a nice prospect at this point. I'm not sure what basis you have used to conclude putting Weah over Pulisic or why you even created that false idea that they were competing for a spot. CP is the most talented player we have ever had and not 20 yet. Putting him on the bench is at least as silly as your hyping of these average players from MLS.

Again, this is a thread for Weah. Please take the discussion of those guys to the MLS thread or create a thread for the players.

jjmack and UncagedGorilla repped this.
  18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    there's nothing wrong with discussing which players should play with Weah.

For example, ,Tallavan's post
    You didn't complain about that one. Why not?

19. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Started against Arsenal, played about 80, had some good runs in behind and drew a PK off the dribble.

20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    you are as confusing as your player selections. I asked everyone if we could try to get the thread on track. the comment of yours was a direct response to that request. I addressed your specific comment about who you claimed Weah would be in competition with for a starting spot. I also responded in the MLS thread on the other players you mentioned in your post.

A comment like "I'd like to see weah play with player X because would combine well, complement each other, he would give Weah serve, etc" seems pretty reasonable, but the thread was turning into a best xi (which there is a thread for already) and little actual discussion about Weah.

21. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    He's having an outstanding ICC--hopefully this isn't Julian Green 2 years ago all over again. Will be really interesting to see what PSG does with him this season, would be great to see him loaned out somewhere where he can start every game but at the same time his preseason form along with his versatility are going to make it awfully tempting for Tuchel to keep him around as a depth guy and weapon off the bench.

22. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I dont see the rush for a loan. He would get quite a bit out of a half or full season adapting to higher level, learning the system and training hard every day with some of the best players in the world... even if he doesnt step on the field. However, Tuechel has shown he will give youngsters a shot and PSG should many games when there will opportunities for players to come on with the game already determined.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Why don't you put this stuff on YA thread?

24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    What is wrong with you?

My comments were about Weah and what I think would be best for his career and hence national team.

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So, the primary discussion you want here is about his career at ParisStGermain and how that should be handled. I'd rather talk about how he should line up with the National team.