Timothy Weah

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Scotty, Jun 11, 2018.

1. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I don't know how you can make such a list and forget Haji Wright, both 97531 and my "one that got away" of the past five years or so.

DHC1 repped this.
  2. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I already set him straight and the one before that who was completely mishandled by another Bundesliga side.

Some coaches with pretty good resumes and eye's for talent missed what he saw and have ruined some of "his" players.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #303 ussoccer97531, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    I was just having a discussion in another part of the website with someone who said that some people only judge our NT players on the league they play in. This is the type of post that exemplifies that.

First of all, use paragraphs. Its hard to read 300 sentences without a paragraph break. No one said Carleton's in a good situation at Atlanta. Lets also not distort Weah's situation or Carleton's situation. You've provided a ridiculous distortion that isn't even worth addressing. It would take 15 years. Besides, I dislike these appeals to authority. I don't care what coaches think. I form my own opinions, and you should also. The best players should end up being the best players. Sometimes its not as simple as that, but most of the time it is. I have no use to respond to appeals to authority.

Why are you (and so many people) into comparing Weah and Carleton? What is the need for it? So many people here have tried to slag off Carleton to make an argument for golden boy Weah. It makes no sense, and now they want to revise history, like you are trying to do. I never downplayed a hat trick. It was an impressive performance, but it doesn't change that nearly no one thought he was the best player for his own team in that game. The rest of the tournament he contributed nothing. Weah contributed almost nothing the whole cycle. He was routinely outplayed by a lot of his teammates.

Funny enough, I was the person who defended his game more than anyone. I was the first person on the website to be a fan of Sargent's game. Of course you care about neither because it doesn't help a terribly flawed viewpoint.

What I will not do is cheerlead or revise history because his club team decided to give him a few appearances earlier than other players. Maybe Weah will develop better than other players. I can't say, but what I can say is speak about what I watched, and what I watched was that Weah was not close to one of the best players in his own age group during his U-17 cycle or during the U-17 WC. Why is there a need to try to deny that? In fact, I like his potential more than nearly all of those players. Should I deliberately try to lie though to help out a narrative surrounding him? You seem to want to do that. You are cheerleading. This is what I've said sours discussion surrounding Weah. There's a need from some of you to change history and criticize others because he's the new golden boy.

He got away? He's 20 years old.

He's been successful everywhere he's played except for a very small sample last season. This is the type of dumb post that might make you look very bad eventually, but you've already been making this argument for years that he got away. Why don't you let things play out before you draw conclusions about 20 year olds? He's one of our best players in his age group, whether he's in a good situation currently or not.

I don't to try to brag, but when you try to come at me with that type of argument, keep in mind that my opinions have a very good track record. You are trying to criticize me, and frankly its not a favorable argument for yourself.

4. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    You’re really charming at this late hour. My point was, both of us thought a lot of Wright. You still do, I’m in wait and see mode admitting it looks like I was wrong. I’m fine w/admitting l’m wrong, it’s very freeing. You should try it. It’s not the end of the world to admit you’re wrong, instead it’s a valuable learning opportunity for the purposes of humility and figuring out what flaws in my thinking or evaluating lead to such a mistake.

You don’t seem to understand that I’d be ecstatic if I ended up being wrong about Wright. Being wrong would be wonderful for the USMNT, who gives a damn if I end up looking stupid to some for getting cynical about Wright’s chances after the disappointment of ‘17-‘18. The relative esteem you or others hold me in matters not a whit to me compared to the trajectory of the USMNT, and figuring out how to make better evals in the future when I make mistakes in judgement.

5. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Can someone help me understand this track record thing?

His top guys have been Hamid, Agudelo, Trapp, Flores, EPB, Wright, and Carleton... and he hasnt go of any if them.

frankburgers repped this.
  6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what happened to trigger you last week but you've been on a crusade ever since.

laxcoach and DHC1 repped this.
  7. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    But Agudelo has expected goals per game to back him up!

Stuff.

bsky22 repped this.
  8. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless he's after the miles for his preferred ff program, Weah should stop wasting his time coming over to play for Coach Sackofshit.

9. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Hopefully he gets the start on Tuesday. It would be too much for him to actually get to play up top though.

You catch his run right at the beginning of the 88th minute? With Adams running with the ball from midfield, he makes are diagonal run to give an option for a through ball, and open space wide we he doesn't get he holds the run to stay on side, when the ball goes wide to Robinson, he bolts into the box and almost gets on the end of the cross. I really like the way this kid sees the game!!!

10. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weah and Sargent are both future starters and stars for the US. May as well get them minutes now even if it's a few months before they're actually proving it.

11. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Father and son both playing for their respective national teams on the same night has got to be a first.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45490570
    George Weah: Former World Player of the Year plays for Liberia, aged 51

12. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    He's 20, in a second division with no signs of him rising out of it that I've heard. If he has that spark to play at the height of the levels Bradley, Jozy, and Dempsey did in Europe, its starting to get to the point that it passes him by.

It's not over for him for sure. Dempsey didn't start playing for Fulham until he was 24. But players usually trend in a direction as they rise. Right now, he's not trending in the right direction.

13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    jjmack, Bajoro, TrueCrew and 1 other person repped this.
  14. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I was impressed how Weah was one of our few players who was able to keep track of the ball in tight spaces going forward. Even when he was forced to go backwards, he did so while maintaining the ball and keeping possession.

15. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    He's a lock for our NT going forward, in my opinion. He's been that good.

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Good to see the love for Weah. He's a special guy and we need to bring him along the right weahyyy. Those millionaires at PSG are quaking in their soccer boots.

He is also someone worth the ticket, provided some nincompoop isn't coaching the USMNT.

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eidur Guðjohnsen came off the bench for his father in a 1996 Iceland match against Estonia.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. That was a perfect pass from Weah.

Cannot wait to see him with Pulisic. Only question is do we play them both wide or one of them in the middle? Time to start finding out.

PT gonna be tough to come by at PSV for Weah. Hope he does not get stunted.

jjmack repped this.
  19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why loan him out, when he's on the verge of the first-team squad?

20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Not sure why you are worried about his development being stunted. He has made significant progress in the last couple of months. He seems to be flourishing in his current environment. There may come a point where his development starts to slow by not playing but doesnt seem to be the case in the near future. If it doesnt slow over the next few months, he might not need to go out on loan.

I'd play TW and CP underneath a forward with freedom to roam. CP is starting to get more freedom with BVB and while Weah has shown the ability to play wide, I want him to have the ability to get closer to the goal.

21st Century Pele repped this.
  21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Weah will be fine if he doesn't get hooked on French cigarettes.

22. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Probably the first time that a head of state plays in an international match as well.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  23. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    He doesn’t play for PSV.

24. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    It's been a rough ride w/prospects since 2008 so to have a guy that seemed to not be as good as the hype in qualifiers in '17, and then play an admittedly or seemingly (not sure which) anonymous U-17 World Cup tournament until his breakout against a Paraguay side that had been dominant in the group stage just explode over the next 12 months vastly outstripping the wildest expectations of fans has been glorious. 2008-2013 prospect watching was just an absolutely miserable experience of failure and disappoint after failure and disappointment whether it be injury based or just the natural failure rate when it comes to making the jump from a teen with talent to a young professional with a wonderful future ahead of him.

Now we get Pulisic showcasing with the U-17's in the '15 cycle and Weah in the '17, and so many other hidden gems along the way. Hell even Wright seems to have woken up from a year long slumber suggesting I may have buried my hopes for his future a bit too soon.

For all the frustrations with the fed and all things USMNT Weah is a wonderful reminder of how things can go right too. So appreciative of him and what he brings to the game: Passion, dedication, confidence, ebullience, ability etc. Very promising.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Perhaps @ussoccer97531 would like to compare Weah's minutes played with PSG to Weah's minutes played with PSV. :p