Earning his stripes: Timothy Weah at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 8, 2014.

?

What should we name the thread?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2019.
  1. Where there’s a Lille, there’s a Weah! Tim at LOSC

71 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Say hello to my Lille friend! Tim Weah at LOSC

54 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll be interested to see how this affects his participation with the US. I know his father has kind of stayed out of his decisions but I wonder since Dad is now the president if that sways him to play with Liberia

Winoman repped this.
  2. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    My first thought, as well.

3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #253 ArsenalMetro, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    I'm interested to see whether he has actually acquired Liberian citizenship. He's eligible, based on their laws, but they're very restrictive about dual/multiple citizenship.

According to some (poorly sourced, tbf) things that I'm reading, he may only maintain his multiple citizenship status until he turns 18, and then must either renounce his French and American citizenships, or renounce his Liberian citizenship. Further, if he were to vote in either a French or American election, he would lose his Liberian citizenship.

EDIT: I'm deep into the weeds of Liberian nationality law. If anyone wants to read the statutes on it, they're here.

I've also found sourcing on the renouncing citizenship at age 18, but I think Tim might not fall strictly under it. It's from the 1986 Liberian Constitution, Article 28, which reads:

"Any person, at least one of whose parents was a citizen of Liberia at the time of the Person's birth, shall be a citizen of Liberia; provided that any such person shall upon reaching maturity renounce any other citizenship acquired by virtue of one parent being a citizen of another country."

Tim's American citizenship was acquired by virtue of his birth in the United States, not the nationality of either of his parents, so he might be a rare case in that he could legally maintain both Liberian and American citizenship, so long as he never votes in the United States.

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The citizenship thing is messy for George. He supposedly took French citizenship while he was at PSG (pretty much the only way Tim would qualify for a French passport) and is even rumored to have a US passport. Both would be a problem for Liberian citizenship and for holding a government office. But the burden of proof is on the accusers who haven't convinced anyone that he is a dual citizen.

Tim is also eligible for Jamaican citizenship through his mother.

Winoman and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  5. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    So does this mean he'll be accompanied by bodyguards/secret service everywhere he goes now?

7. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    Interesting. Given the history of the country, I wonder if it was written that way to keep colonists from returning to America.

8. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gacm32, TxEx, Tom Collingsworth and 11 others repped this.
  9. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    UEFA Youth League match against Ajax U19 today, 12 EST. Soccerway has him starting but I can’t find an official source. Dest is starting for Ajax, so they could match up some.

TarHeels17 and Winoman repped this.
  10. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Game will be broadcast here:

Winoman repped this.
  11. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Weah and PSG advance, winning 4-2 on penalties after a 0-0 draw.

sakibomb523, Gacm32 and Winoman repped this.
  12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Let's just wait until he gets a pro contract, shall we?

In fact, let's just wait until he's played circa 600' of first team football at Ligue 2 level or better before giving it a moment's thhought

13. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
  14. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

m vann, TxEx, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  15. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone smarter than me know why they would do this?

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they think he is good? Wouldn't that be the most obvious reason?

17. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well yes, but I thought he just signed a contract pretty recently. It seems unusually early to renew.

18. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I don't have any real confidence in my opinion on this, but like any good BSer, I can speculate.

If he starts getting some appearances with the 1st team next season (2018-2019) and maybe turns in a couple really impressive performances in spring '19, then it's a little uncomfortable for PSG going into the summer '19 transfer window with him only signed through 2020. Other big clubs might start sniffing around, try to get to Weah interested in a move, and force PSG into taking a lowball offer so that he doesn't do a pre-contract/leave for free thing the next year.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  19. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    If you extend the contract for another year maybe they'll feel more comfortable letting him out on loan in 18-19. That way they have more than 1 year left so they can loan him again, sell him, try to integrate into the 1st team etc. Basically they're trying to avoid the EPB situation to where he runs his contract out if the loan doesn't work out.

20. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Timothy Scored the winning (only) goal for PSG II in a 0 - 1 result at Montceau

21. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    People are sleeping on Weah. From what I understand he is very highly regarded at PSG as doing very well on and off the scoresheet. It's not like he, his family or his club don't know what they are doing. He's going to have a monster career for them if they can hold on to him.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    honestly i think the u17 wc slowed the hype on him. he looked pretty good, but pretty good against kids as a winger hardly seems like psg starting material and therefore world class. don’t get me wrong i think he has a long pro career, just not sold on his impact. also the point in time where kids in months improve by leaps and bounds so fingers crossed there too.

23. Beserkr29

Beserkr29 Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't think Weah is a true winger, so him playing out wide amd not blowing the doors off people shouldn't be held against him. He and Sargent are the best two striker prospects in their age group, maybe the entire pool, and should be judged as such. Scoring for the reserves already is a great sign for Weah. I don't think he will break into the 1st team super soon, so maybe a Ligue 1 loan should be his short term goal. As it is, Weah can't stop scoring at each level. He's going to be good.

beerslinger23, SCSAutism, Gacm32 and 2 others repped this.
  24. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know. In his time with the US the last 2 years, he’s had a great ability to make the spectacular play and score some goals. But his ability to keep possession and help in the build up just hasn’t been there. I’m sure PSG sees his ability to make special plays and hopes that his contributions in the build up improve. If they do, he will he a great player. If they don’t, he could still be a productive pro, but somewhat frustrating and not as good as we all hoped.

I do agree with @Beserkr29 tho. I see him more as an SS, although I do like him on the wing in a 4-3-3. I tend to subscribe to the “you never have enough prospects” idea, but we have 1000 wing prospects and like 2 at CF. I think that’s where we should be molding him.

25. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States