Timothy Tillman at Greuther Fürth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    more interested to see who he picks Germany or US.:p

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  2. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-4 on aggregate, right?

3. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    Oh god. Yes. Stupid math. Sorry about that.

4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yup
    3-1 for Schalke
    3-1 for Bayern
    equals 4-4.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Tillman goes through to the final.

He was maybe the best player on the field in this match after an indifferent first leg. Schalke couldn't deal with him.

7. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Kid can ball. All the young U.S. eligible players in this match looked very good. I'm looking forward to seeing them all develop, and hopefully get opportunities with their respective first teams within the next year or so.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  8. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports of Barcelona wanting Tillman, Bayern rebuffing them -- with both sides envisioning he will be part of their first team:
    http://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbo...othy-tillman-deseado-pero-casi-imposible.html

Translated:
    They have been trying for some time but the operation is highly complicated, so much so that in the offices of the Ciutat Esportiva they have resigned, or almost, to their recruitment. Barca likes Timothy Tillman, an 18 year old midfielder at Bayern Munich, who is considered one of the jewels of the German club but all approaches have been unsuccessful.

The German weekly SportBild came to publish a statement from its agent, Christian Rösser, confirming the existence of a Barca offer: "There was a real offer to Tim, who have been watching for months and who would like to take it next season ". And he gave some more details. "The plan would have been to let him train with the first team and play in the subsidiary, with the idea that in two or three years he would be part of the professional team." He told it because Uli Hoeness himself, the president of Bayern, vetoed the transfer of a very technical and hardworking midfielder. They are about to arm him. They have already offered him a professional contract and he has been guaranteed the transition to the first team.

Sources close to Barca have explained to MD [Mundo Deportivo] that they continue trying, but not directly but through some intermediary. At the moment, they are clashing with a wall that precludes any dialogue. Maybe there's one more attempt.

BostonRed repped this.
  9. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and BostonRed repped this.
  10. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All indications are he is sticking with Germany right?

11. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll stick with Germany as long as he is wanted, but they have an incredible amount of talent at all age levels. He has not yet been provisionally cap-tied by Germany, and there are a number of youth Euro (and Euro Qualification) and youth World Cup tournaments in which he could have been cap-tied, but wasn't, particularly with their 2016 U17 Euro/EuroQ squad which consisted entirely of '99s (Tillman is a '99). He's played only friendlies with Germany so far.

12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    but there is the possibility that he'll play at this Summer's U19 EC in July. Which unlike the U20 WC isn't during the season as Bayern reached the U19 final.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  13. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is certainly possible he will play at this year's or next year's U19 EC. If he does, then it would be clear he's sticking with Germany and will ride out that option (perfectly understandable). If he is missing from that squad, as he was at last year's U17 EC and the previous year's U17 WC, then I might wonder if he is intentionally turning down German competitive callups to keep open the US option (which he has expressed interest in before) without the need for a one-time switch. We shall see what happens.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Hadn't he accepted a US call up before deciding at the last minute to reject it? I thought Ramos had said that a few months ago.

That makes me think the USA is close to getting him to switch.

Gacm32 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  15. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    he almost went to a US U18 camp but in the end choose Germany's U18 camp instead.

it was said by his agent that for now he's choosing Germany. And it was also stated that if Bruce Arena contacted them then there would be discussions.

But that was months ago, would be interesting to know what he currently thinks.

Gacm32 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  17. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he really is receiving but declining competitive Germany callups, that would be awesome news for the US. Or it could just be that the group is mostly '98s, and Tillman is a '99, so it might be too competitive for him at this point, underscoring how difficult it is to break into Germany even at youth level. Either way, his chances of switching to the US go up.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Are there any 99's on that team? Looks like mostly 98's, although I don't know the year off the top of my head the year that all those players were born in.

19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yeah it does seem to be all 1998, while Tillman is 99. That could be the reason why he isn't there.

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Whatever the reason, he seems to have made it through the current cycle as an international free agent. Seems like a good opportunity to offer him a non-binding callup the next time the U.S. 99s get together.

TheFalseNine and Gacm32 repped this.
  21. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Forget the 99s. Full team.

22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think either the US or Germany should take him to the seniors until he proves himself in the 1st division.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We have a WC in a year.

If someone earns it, I'm all for adding some young players to the NT, but we have to build a best 23 for the WC, and some depth in case all 23 can't go. I'm not really sure we should be including players that aren't yet deserving of a spot.

If Tillman starts getting games for Bayern, of course you call him in. If he goes somewhere on loan (first division or second and gets games), you probably call him in. Youth player for Bayern II? I'm not sure how productive that is. We don't want a Green 2.0 situation, IMO.

nycfc919 and Gacm32 repped this.
  24. Danny Woodhead

Jul 12, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Cape Cod Crusaders
    I think his club situation really dictates whether or not he gets a look in a US camp any time soon. I was trying to figure out when Tab held his first camp post-2015 U20 World Cup, and it looks like it was for the Stevan Vilotic-Cele Tournament in Serbia in August of 2015 (for those curious, Glad, EPB, Sabbi, and Saucedo were the only attendees in that camp to make this WC roster). Naturally, not an ideal time on the calendar if he's playing for Bayern or on loan somewhere. And that will likely be the case for any other camp held outside of an international break, especially one held in the US.

Of course, things could change if we're talking about a senior call-up (unlikely, considering it would be for the Gold Cup or WCQ if it were to happen in 2017) or the issue becomes moot if he simply refuses the call.

25. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016

sakibomb523, Gacm32, Namdynamo and 3 others repped this.