Timothy Tillman at Greuther Fürth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 29, 2014.

1. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    and play him for the full 90 minutes!!!

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We better get one of them!

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say that Weah seems ALL-IN with the U.S.A. There was a brief moment when his father became president of Liberia that I worried, but that has passed. Everything about him seems to point to him being committed.

Gacm32 repped this.
  5. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Someone else mentioned that he wasn’t even eligible for Liberia something about his citizenship. I didn’t follow closely enough maybe someone knows more.

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea if that is true or not, though it seems counter-intuitive for someone whose father is Liberian. But FIFA laws can be a mystery, so who the hell knows. I just like what I am seeing and hearing out of Tim's own mouth and his social media.

7. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I wouldn't phrase it this way because it makes it seem like Weah didn't play 14 years in the USA and is like a Julian Green.

8. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Looking into a bit I don’t see anyway he is not eligible either. I had that same concern that would jump out of familial obligation but that appear extremely unlikely that he would move to a team that makes the World Cup with regularity to Liberia, ranked 135, right behind some nations I barely recognize, Chinese Taipei, Swazailand, Comoros, etc.

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's about Liberian citizenship law, not FIFA rules. As long as he has the passport, he's eligible because his father was born there. Considering dad is the president, I don't think there's a big obstacle to him being a Liberian citizen.

ttrevett and Winoman repped this.
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I believe he come on the 66th minute.

although Bayern youth are having tons of internal issues and plenty of players are heading out. Seems like a massive exodus is coming. With a Summer 2018 contract expiration makes one wonder if Tillman is also headed out? We are already April and still no renewal....

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and Ger90 repped this.
  15. TimothyTillmanForUSMNT

Seattle Sounders FC
    United States
    May 24, 2017
    How do you guys feel about this Tillman situation? What do you guys think are the chances we get him?

Me personally, I feel like we’ll only get him if he is unable to make the German team which at that point I would not want him nearly as much anymore.

16. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    I feel like your username will not age well

17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are and have been many German-American players. Basically none of them have ever chosen the US while Germany was an option for them. You could make the argument for John Brooks, but that's it.

18. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lol... Yeah your username will be legendary when you post his games of playing in the third division five years from now. If he is not loaned out over the summer I would not expect him to make second division. We are in the post Freddy era. First proof then plan. Tillman absolutely has nothing to do with usmnt.

19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Brooks played 1 German U20 friendly game after he played for the USA U20. If he was so committed to the US he would never have accepted the call up and played that game.

one has to remember that German Americans are more German than American. Being almost all born in Germany, almost always having 1 of 2 parents being German and living their whole lives and careers there. It makes perfect sense. Then on top of that you grow up watching Germany win trophies and go far in majority of tournaments.

ChuckMe92 and Winoman repped this.
  20. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I count Brooks as a "maybe" because it wouldn't have been unreasonable for him to hold out longer to see if a career with Germany's NT would work out. We'll probably never know because it looks like Brooks' career arc will be limited by his fragility.

Ger90 repped this.
  21. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Shame about Brooks's fragility.

I'm still waiting for the day where a German-American actually succeeds in really making the German NT. Closest one was Jermaine Jones, but him Low was testing him out in friendlies but in the end he didn't factor into any plan.

22. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are cases where JJ and FJ could've been a factor for the German XI (or at least bench), but both had already switched over to the USA by then. Does anyone know how our military presence in Germany compares between no and 25/30 years ago? If it hasn't happened yet, is it less likely to happen going forward?

23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    there isn't any, don't think any of the non-youth German-Americans were ever good enough for the German seniors even the bench.

it's why they did the right thing to join the US and JJ was lucky that he never played a qualifier, otherwise he would have no International career.

it's why the wait is still there. In the youth you got
    98-Friede
    99-T.Tillman, Maloney
    00-Malone
    02-M. Tillman, Scott (rumored German-American)

and there is always the non youth Toljan who needs to get his act together before he's anywhere near the NT. His mistake was leaving Hoff when he did. Should have joined a big club not as soon as he did.

ChuckMe92 and Winoman repped this.
  24. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, German/Puerto Rican Felix Magath got 43 caps for West Germany in the 70s and 80s. But that's all I got on this subject.

25. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Boyd was always open about his love for USA. Don't think he had been invited to any German teams though.

ChuckMe92, Rahbiefowlah and taylor repped this.