Timmy & Landon: vs Manchester United, 2/20 - 7.45am EST

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Arteta's Girl, Feb 19, 2010.

1. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    True I forgot about Bilyaletdinov's goal, maybe bets of the match, but Pienaar deserves a lot of credit especially for Gosling's goal.

2. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's come on leaps and bounds since coming through from the youth team. It's nice to have a good loyal player like Leon. Although he hasn't played a great deal this season, when he comes on, he lives his guts on the field.

3. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm down with this.

I am very impressed with the cohesiveness that Everton play with. I think the combination of players on this team (especially in the midfield) has been incredibly effective over the last 6 weeks. It's been amazing to see how well they have played with the "musical chairs" lineups. A lot of credit goes to the mentality of the group of players, but more credit has to go to the coach.

4. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Mi dispiace. I was crediting your post. I can see how it might be taken otherwise. What I meant was, your post was manna for the uninitiated, as in enlightening.

5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    thx. ;)

6. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HA. Great unintentional comedy.

7. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Donovan played while ill.

http://www.sportinglife.com/footbal...STORY_NAME=soccer/10/02/20/manual_164033.html

Also, I've spent a little bit of time perusing other Everton forums from "over there" and, needless to say, they don't use words such as "average" and "mediocre" to describe Donovan's play. They are rating him quite highly, some even giving him MOTM (though I wouldn't go that far. For me, it was Osman). And this from folks who were at the game.

8. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, another comment from Moyes about Donovan:

http://www.sportinglife.com/footbal...STORY_NAME=soccer/10/02/20/manual_164033.html

If Landon surely wants to stay, and the MLS isn't able to come up with a resolution for the labor talks, I'd say it's likely that he extends the loan.

9. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I wonder if there are people out there who still think Dempsey is a better player than Donovan.

10. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Donovan had a really solid game today. From my perspective, I thought LD didn't do as much running as he normally does, but was always looking for the good positioning to receive a pass or deflection. I thought his decision making was generally very good - showed an ability to hold the ball so his mates could make a run into space (the second Everton goal today was a great example. Donovan held the ball for a few moments - enough time to let the play develop).

At first I thought Donovan should be more aggresive defensively - like many of the other Everton players. However, as the game wore on, it was obvious to me that Donovan was playing a wonderfully complimentary style to his teammates. Color me biased, but Donovan really makes Everton hum.

11. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Donovan looks back on his career, this loan spell will rank high on his list of career highlights. This will be viewed as the time that he was able to sweep aside any doubts from anyone that he could thrive in a top European league. With the World Cup coming up this summer, I am really hoping that this loan spell doesn't turn out to be THE highlight of his career, but I am sure that it will be high on the list, if for no other reason, what it has meant strategically to his career.

As unlucky as he had been with the fit/timing in his previous stints in Europe, he has made up for all of them combined with this loan to Everton. Everton was a team that was ready to go on a run and he was the right guy in the right place at the right time playing against all of the right teams at the exact right point in his career. Honestly - Landon has taken full advantage, but could the cards be falling more his way? I say, "Keep it going!"

12. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder why there are still people out there that don't understand that both players are different and can not be compared as to who is "better".

They both rely on different skill sets to do an awesome job...Donovan: uses his speed and quickness combined with instinct and one-touch passes to do his job. Dempsey: uses his skill on the ball, soft touch, and creativeness to do the job. Let us not forget that Dempsey has also had his fair share of great games against top teams. Donovan tends to do it more for the USMNT and Deuce for Fulham...
    Both are great players and our starting outside mids that most teams would love to have. Personally I find Dempsey's style a little more appealing, but that's just me...

Donovan played great today and I hope he will stay. I don't think any player stands out as MoM because it was a collective effort all around...but I would agree that Osman should get it for reasons mentioned by poster Matrim55.

13. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I was very impressed with how he played out of pressure in the midfield. I've seen him show some nice skill around the box but not the Xavi-like footwork he showed today.

14. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you are right, but I am not optimistic.

When has MLS EVER deferred to the wishes of a player when a signed contract is in place ?

15. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it were only fan sites giving him such high ratings, then maybe you'd have a point. With the actual facts though, you don't have a point.

16. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Different players. I think Dempsey's mix of abilties (and inabilties i.e. lack of pace), attitude make him more of a unique player. Might as well have 'cult hero' tattoed on his head. He has been called an enigma already sevral times this season.

Whereas Donovan's abilties are more mainstream and easier to identify. If you are going to compare both players to the top players in the world at the moment stylistically without making judgements on overall abilty, it's clear Donovan matches up better.

17. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Lol at this!

Baines is a quality LB, he was a little off form in first half today but he is underrated by people outside of Everton.

Rooney didn't need us getting in his head. Usually, we do get in his head, with the fans giving him constant abuse the whole game, he ends up trying to hard, responded to the abuse and he loses it. Today we gave him barely anything and he never showed up - fantastic :D

He's a classy, tenacious player. Skillful, creative and probably heading towards player of the year award.

Lol at this also, made me laugh!

I wasn't. I was busy screaming at the ref to blow up for the 90 after we scored the second!

NO, leave off. He's ours!

It's a number of reasons, obviously Donovan has given us an added dimension but he isn't the sole reason.

Yeah, he's a bit of alright like. Haha.

Pretty much sums us up. Those lads are so tight. They are like a group of best mates. They pick each other up when they are down, keep each others feet on the ground if they feel that others are getting too far ahead of themselves. At most other clubs there are little cliques and groups separated out in the dressing room, not with us, everyone is friends with everyone and people are made to feel welcome from day one. If someone steps out of line, they don't need Moyes to tell them, the other players will. Our team spirit is second to none.

I'm just gonna write up my thoughts from the game now.

18. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd just say that all of Pienaar, Heitinga, Baines, and Osman all deserve nothing less than an 8. Every single other player on the field deserves at least a 7. And of course Moyes' substitutions were perfect.

Other than that, I don't think there is a reason to label anyone on the field, not a MOTM or who was better than who. That was such a team performance, even moreso than the victory over Chelsea. Every player was outstanding today. out. standing.

19. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    Obviously, in the event of an impasse, MLS will be especially unsympathetic to players' interests. Still, according to Greg Seltzer, if "should MLS lock the players out, all contracts would effectively be placed on the side burner, with players fully free to find a new club." (A strike, I assume, would be different.)

20. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp

21. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence
    I think you just recapped some of the worst posts I've ever seen. Don't know what Peinnar brings? Baines is a liability? I seriously think people just criticize because they don't understand the game and they think it makes them sound smart.

What an unbelievable team performance. Especially from the center backs to hold off Rooney and Berbatov. I thought LD was really good. Osman. Saha. the subs. Just everyone doing their part. Really fun game to watch.

22. That Guy

That Guy Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Very nice post, thank you!

23. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QFT

We saw the same thing last year - repeatedly - in the Fulham threads with morons bashing Bobby Zamora. And it's always more sad than amusing.

24. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this - LD challenges for a header, ball goes over head, he spins and ball is on him. it is entirely different if he is facing the ball the entire time.

25. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Sounds like Moyes doesn't know what the flu is. Four or five times a year? Maybe they call the sniffles a flu over there.