PBP: Timmy & Donovan: Everton @ Wigan, 1/30 - 1000AM EST[R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by appoo, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Bradley's Glare

Jul 31, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Preston North End FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted to wait for 7:00 Pm FSC rebroadcast so I stayed away from this thread until I couldn't take it anymore. Even if I knew what happend i would still enjoy the replay.

I watched Altidore through our stream assortments...took a break and by 12:30est I was on this thread, the game was over and i was gonna skim every posting and enjoy the game Big soccer style.

heres what is was like:

is he starting?
    Arteta is arteta gonna play?
    No!
    sky sports has LD in the lineup.
    Steam?
    Stream?
    Iraqi goals goes down 3 minutes in
    anyone post a stream link?
    PM me I'll get you a stream
    Donovan looping ball to Osman
    Stream went down again
    LD is traking bck on defense.
    Half time
    My stream is choppy
    My stream is not working
    Dont post a link
    its ok to post a link
    no its not ok
    good first half for donovan he switched with Pinnear and worked the left flank
    Veetle works good
    soapcast works good
    donavan getting tired
    bad refing
    wigan tough takleing
    Donovan Sub
    LD played average
    LD played well
    stop stream
    cahill scores
    smash and grab for Everton
    Bring on Liverpool

thanks everyone for particpating. i was a fun way to experience the action!

1 person likes this.
  2. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Those shirts are kind of cool.

3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    They stole them from the set of Sgt Pepper's cover photo shoot.

4. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Fire Moyes?

5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    <<--scratching head

6. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If an MLS team wore them there'd be 2 or 3 threads every week complaining about how "untraditional" they were.

7. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Well, we didn't play well for long spells in that game but 3 points is 3 points. Thought the ref was awful like, still not seen the offside goal again but apparently it wasn't? And the penalty shout on Saha? I need to see MOTD/Football First to judge these.

Anyways, we looked controlled up until we got near the Wigan penalty area when a mixture of good defending and poor final ball meant we struggled to create clear chances. They had far better chances than us but Howard made some good saves (one in particular first half) and they wasted some chances.

Cahill popped up as he has done time and time again for us in this situation, and thats exactly why he stays on the pitch. His heading ability is phenomenal - I doubt anyone gets as many headed goals as him, which for his height (5"10) is crazy!

Donovan did alright I thought, he always looked a threat, not brilliant by any means but he had some nice touches again and his pace is a great threat. He also worked his ass off again and did some good chasing back. For those complaining about him getting taken off, he looked totally beat after about 70mins, think it was a wise choice in the end - put Victor on to throw his weight around and make some powerful runs, and rest LD for a huge huge game next week when he could be even more important (he'll start again barring any injuries, etc. - no doubts *hopes I ain't jinxed that now!*).

Anyway, in the end I think we just about deserved the win and roll on the RS next week ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    On the radio broadcast f/ Chelsea - Burnley they mentioned Cahil hasn't scored with his feet since Boxing Day 2008.

9. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    That must be league goals cos I know he scored with his feet in Europe, but yeah, like half his goals he scored for us have been headed. Crazy.

10. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I believe they did say league goals.

11. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    So Tim Cahill's the Aussie Miroslav Klose? Or Aussie version of Brian McBride?

12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Kinda, except smaller. And a better passer.

13. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the broadcasts sometime somewhere also said that only Crouch has scored more goals with his head since a certain point in time. Of course Crouch - 6'8" & Cahill - 5'10" . . . . .

14. sffp1

sffp1 Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Virginia
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    temp

Strictly in time to the FSC feed - no spoilers!!

15. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Everton-Wigan - For those of us watching the 7pm Saturday FSC feed [R]

um, you should have specified time zone, no?

16. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions

Donovan had a couple of outstanding plays in the first 25 mins or so, that touch to dummy the defender was outrageous and set up what had to have been the worst cross he's hit in years.

The through ball in the 2nd minute was also awesome.

The good thing is, his screw ups are so bad that you know when watching "that's not Landon Donovan". It seems clear he'll eliminate those once he gets more familiar with teammates, but the classy stuff is only going to get more prevelant.

Announcers extremely complementary.

I count 5 CONCACAF players on the field at once, I wonder how many EPL fans will take notice.
    EDIT: (Make that at least six, forgot Emerson Boyce of Barbados)

Why don't you petition the bigsoccer administrators instead of the OP?

17. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

After reading the thread this morning and then watching it for myself, my conclusion is that BigSoccer posters are extremely critical. Imagine if Wigan's forward Scotland was American, with all the howlers he had this game.

18. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched the replay, and I thought Donovan had some moments, but his touch wasn't really there. When he was on the right he was playing against a left back who was just as fast as he was - that's unusual. Wigan looked big and they fouled a lot. I loved Pienaar's work rate at the end of the game. Great job by Howard. Everton was robbed on the PK non-call, and the offside call. Very happy for Everton taking the 3 points. COYB next week!

19. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Yeah I thought his touch was a bit off at times too. Wigan also played very physically and the ref let a lot go - I'm not sure whether that had a significant effect on his play or not.

20. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched on FSC. Solid two way game by LD. Had a couple of breakthru chances where his touch let him down and let the very quick Wigan defenders recover. I like the fact that he is starting to switch sides some, should pay off down the road.

The ref looked like a MLS reject,WTF???

21. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It didn't seem to have a huge effect on Donovan, but it made the game very choppy. Wigan looked to stop the play asap by whatever means and it seemed to disrupt Everton's flow.

22. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In

sky sports rating is 8.0 from the fans so i guees he did well good job

23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought he did ok but his touch was off on a few of his chances and he was unlucky in that on several great runs his teammates couldn't get him the ball. Saw make several long defensive sprints and that's what got him tired early.

24. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My first half thoughts on Donovan (just started on dvr):

Early in the game: Good pressure and closing down passing lanes

17th minute: After expertly touching the ball by his marker, he crosses the ball backwards towards the middle instead of crossing forward to Cahill who is charging the goal mouth. I don't understand that decision since a cross moving forwards to Cahill would have been a better decision (a slight redirect by Cahill would give the ball enough added momentum to surprise the keeper) The commentators don't understand either, as they speculate that a ball closer between the keeper and defenders has a better chance of catching them off guard or getting a lucky deflection.

In the 20 something minute: He's playing too much of the reactionary first time passing again like he did at Bayern. He needs to hold the ball a couple of seconds longer to look for other options. I'm not saying to eliminate the first time pass all together, but mix it up a bit to keep his markers honest. Against opposition of Wigan's calibre, he's more likely to draw a foul (as he did earlier in the game)

45th: Again, great pressure and reading of the passing lanes. His interception nearly creates a goal. This skill alone will make him a strong contender for a starting spot, in my humble opinion.

25. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2nd half

61st: Great save by Howard, but the ref has flagged for offsides. A great save nonetheless!

70th: Everton's attack has been less than impressive. As I'm typing, the English commenter says "that's what he's here for, Donovan...great energy and enthusiasm. Does that rub anyone else the wrong way?

74th: Donovan plays the first time pass again, and it backfires as his cross hangs in the air. HOLD THE BALL a bit more!

75th: And Donovan is subbed. Perhaps he'll be full 90 in a week and a half or two...but then Arteta should be healthy, no? Anyone know what's the ETA on him??