Timmy and Donovan don't walk alone: Merseyside Derby 2/6, 7:45am

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by YankatOxford, Feb 5, 2010.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Have a beer and relax! You guys are still in good position heading into spring.

2. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    No it wasn't, but keep swinging for the fences, it's your only hope now. (For the uninitiated it was the return leg in Germany where he laid the egg).

3. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What was Howard doing?

4. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just finshed watching the game and I have to say I'm suprised at the criticism aimed at LD. He was clearly one of Everton's most dangerous players (though there were too few dangerous moments for Everton overall). He won several FK in dangerous positions. And had 2-3 really good runs at the defenders (something I was glad to see more of). The game was never too big for him (though I wasn't worried about that) and again, one of the few brigth spots. I'm glad to see Sky's ratings. I don't know if I would have given an "8" but he derserved Everton's highest rating.

Unfortunately Howard on the other hand made a mess of that corner and he has to take the blame for that goal.

5. Tony Dellbird

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Donovan was okay today. Had a good run, but the cross was poor, as was most of crossing. Especially VA in injury time, cut that back to the penalty spot and Yak is slotting it in.

Leighton Baines was my MOTM easily. Donovan was worth a 7 today. Nothing extraordinary but looked comfortable. Sometimes ran out of ideas, much the same as most of the team.

6. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan has a very space-oriented approach to the game (dare I say American approach?): the team that controls the most space - physical area - of the field will win. It requires tireless off-the-ball movement to move into the proper location on the field. Therefore fitness and raw speed are critical. In pressure situations, one dumps the ball off into the theoretically most promising/dangerous areas on the field without necessarily taking the time to see if a teammate is there or can make a run to that area. OTOH, players do not necessarily have to have a variety of moves that they can beat an opponent one-on-one.

Donovan certainly did not look out of place out there - some good plays and some questionable ones. I got the feeling he is looking for a little more sophistication from his teammates even though his ball skills may not be up to their levels. Like the appropriate times to counterattack (Howard missed a great chance on one) or when to play possession.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Any news on the Fellaini injury yet?

8. Tony Dellbird

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nothing broken, bit of bruising, should be fine apparently.

9. vponce75

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's great news.

10. Tony Dellbird

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Without a doubt. Arteta looked better today, still not brilliant, and not ready yet to take over from Fellaini but encouraging signs.

11. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    22 minutes, and he did play well, but he wasn't on the field long enough to get a rating. Kicker starts rating players at 30 minutes (I am pretty sure).

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/...lyse_fc-liverpool-512_bayer-leverkusen-9.html

12. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    I think he must've been.

Donovan was playing the touchline for most of the match. Neville would sometimes play him, but it seemed Insua was marking LD pretty closely, though often out of the picture. You'd see Neville look for Landon, see he was covered and try something else. Other times, Donovan would check back for the ball, but Insua was marking tightly so Donovan would have to play it back to Neville or go inside (one time Donovan tried to sell a foul, unsuccessfully, and gave L'pool a break).

I recall the color commentator talking about how Donovan and Pienaar weren't supplying width a couple times, but there was a reason for it, at least in Donovan's case. Heck, the commentator said that in-between outlet passes to Donovan on touch, so I think it was more a case of no space for LD.

Because Liverpool was so packed in, I think that when the subs were made (Saha and Osman out, Yakaubu and Anichebe on), that Moyes told Donvan to move into the center, dis-locate Insua, and try to try and give Neville room on the outside to serve crosses in. I think Moyes wanted Donovan to have some combination play with Pienaar and Yakubu/Anichebe in the center, give some more room to Arteta. But it never came off.

Btw, I remember before the Donovan move, there was a lot of talk about whether Dempsey was the equivalent of Pienaar or not and the Everton supporters laughed at the idea. Now that I've been paying attention to Everton, Pienaar hasn't seemed particularly spectacular, and this match was another example. Not really the same kind of player, but I am not yet convinced Pienaar > Dempsey.

1 person likes this.
  13. vponce75

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he is not. IMO

14. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  15. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen any evidence of this.

16. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Yeah, no idea where that's coming from.

17. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Repped, just cos it cheered me up the tiniest little bit.

Well I gotta say I'm pretty mad for a number of reasons. Firstly, losing to them hurts enough, but v 10 men, and them being a poor team really (nowhere near what they used to be are they?) and us not showing any passion or determination enough to go get a goal or 2 just makes it 10 times worse.

I did say it would be pretty horrible to watch, scrappy and a battle - but I admit I wasn't really expecting it to be THAT X rated. Think the tone was set when Carragher hit Pienaar after 10seconds. This game is packed full of emotion, rawness, pure passion and it spills from the crowd onto the pitch, and players can easily get caught up in it (think tis why there is so many yellow and red cards in this fixture). Pienaar for me, as soon as he took that hit, the red mist just descended on him and it ruined his game and didn't play his usual self. I seen a few people slating him and giving him stick on here but he is a huge player for us. He is one of our main creative outlets, with good crossing and skilful, tricky feet and works tirelessly too. If you go on any Everton forum, you will see how popular he is.

I ain't gonna comment on any of the tackles, as I'm yet to see them but from what I saw, and what I've been told, there coulda and maybe should of been like another 3 reds. Only thing I'll say is I thought Fellaini was trying to jump the challenge from my angle, you know, to avoid a possible leg break when someone steams in from the side of you, 2 footed studs showing...I wouldnt blame him for trying to jump that, if he properly stamped down than I suspect he will get a ban from the FA anyways.

Thought it was a mixture of Howard and Neville at fault for the goal. Neville should have been goal side and Howard seemed more interested in shoving people out of the way and complaining, than coming out and punching the ball away or whatever.

Defence was alright in the main, Distin had some shaky moments but overall was ok. Johnny H did some great passes. Baines was my MOTM, just shading Donovan. Neville was...erm...ok. Going forward he still annoys the hell out of me though.

Midfield. Pienaar was losing his head after getting kicked all over the place, I don't blame him from losing his rag. He gets kicked lumps out of every week pretty much and never hardly gets protection from referees. He is only a little guy but one toughie too. Osman was in and out, didn't do much. Surprising cos he would usually thrive in a derby, being a local boy. Fellaini was good but same as Pienaar, the emotion got to him and he started losing it. He's still a young kid though, and he is that type of character. Things changed when he went off though, we lost his physical presence and domination in the centre. Arteta is a quality player but he needs a destroyer or ball winner next to him to be at maximum effectiveness. He wasn't totally fit, that was noticable but he still moves the ball around well. Still rusty mind.

Cahill ran around a lot but got a hard bargain with Saha deciding to do ZERO work, think he is sitting happy now he signed his new deal. So frustrating, at least run around a bit man.

Donovan was probably our most dangerous player, he worked hard on defence and Insua looked terrified when LD was running at him. He used his speed to good effect on occasions but he, along with the rest of the team it seems, tried to take an extra (usually unneeded) touch in a game where you aren't allowed the time to take it. Frustrating for him, and us but a good experience none the less. I'm quite relieved he came out unscathed in it though, normally the quick ones take the hardest hits but it seems Pienaar took the brunt of that today.

I may add more later, when I have calmed down some more...

2 people repped this.
  18. Tony Dellbird

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Was that the strike that ended up deep in the Kop?

I had your boy to score first in a 2-1 Everton win at 75-1. You guys owe me a £1.

1 person likes this.
  19. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may not be expressing myself correctly. In a 1v1 situation I don't see Donovan with the repetoire of ball tricks or confidence to use them as much as some of his teammates.

Feel free to disagree, but I know that's not the first time it's been said of Landon.

20. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    It just sounded like you were saying Donovan was skill-challenged compared to his teammates in general. Donovan looks to me like one Everton's best players recently. I don't think they've figured out how best to use him. If the move becomes permanent, hopefully things will change a little.

22. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the analysis. Were you at the game?

23. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Yeah, wish I wasn't though. I hate that place...

24. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I see where you're coming from there. There are a lot of players in the Prem better at beating their defender by feints and tight ball control. Though I'm not sure how many of them play for Everton, to be honest. Arteta, for sure.

25. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't doubt it, was just pointing out how Kicker rates. ;)