Timmay Too: The Chandler thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Apr 30, 2011.

1. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My family hates it when Chandler plays because I'm always screaming my head off at him. It's really painful to watch him play, knowing that most times he sends a pass, it ends up with the other team.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the JJ line revisited. Last cycle all we heard was Jones was a red card waiting to happen and was a recipe for disaster. Now it is TC who is the recipe for disaster. :rolleyes:

We have played 3 matches and given up 2 goals. Now both goals came from the left side of our defense with the first goal due to horrid defending in the midfield but please lets focus on Chandler.

3. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You family must have hated this:

4. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems the prudent thing to do in a Tim Chandler thread, doesn't it? And seriously, we get you feel the need to defend his continued selection by JK, but he's earned plenty of the criticism for his less than stellar play. People aren't imagining it.

5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    #3180 Scotty, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    This was posted by @gtstock in the post-game thread for the Honduras game:

618614615170269185 is not a valid tweet id

Does anyone know how it would be see the same map for Chandler's performance against Panama?

6. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not going to lie, even though Chandler is more talented, his last run of games is reminding me of Bornstein. Yedlin needs to play at right back eventually. I understand Klinsmann likes to take certain players on his rosters and use them for certain situations. Yedlin is his late game speedy winger. But Yedlin's ceiling on the wing isn't very high and pretty non-effective if he isn't a sub there. If Yedlin is to fulfill his potential even with his somewhat limited technical ability, it'll be at right back. I hope wherever he's loaned in England that they play him there.

Complain about his defending all you want but that's where Yedlin's best chances are to fulfill his potential. Way too one dimensional as a winger, drive line and cross not good enough outside CONCACAF. Some comparisons to Bale and converting him to a winger at Spurs is nonsense, always has been.

Realize my post is mainly about Yedlin but I think it's relevant to the discussion.

Back to Chandler for a second. Way too many brain farts, get's caught ball watching, poor passing. His place as automatic starter needs to end. Still probably too talented to drop from the national team pool altogether. Maybe US U-20 Desevio Payne can break into the team before 2018.

Too bad Klinsmann doesn't like Eric Lichaj.

brjohnson repped this.
  7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but hes half german and he plays in the Bundesliga, and that translates to........something? you guys just dont have the umm.....eye for talent.....that our management or the now half dozen strong Klinsy superfriends club has.

and it is a mix of petty immaturity and willful ignorance that Lichaj hasnt been brought in.

8. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3183 Mr Martin, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    What I recall is that the biggest worry about JJ last cycle was that he and MB played the same role and were therefore duplicative as the workhorse box-to-box CM runner lacking some discipline -- they got in each other's way. Klinsi, like BB before him, had trouble shoe-horning them both into the same central midfield. Klinsi seemingly solved that primary issue just before the WC by shifting JJ to left midfield and most importantly popping Beckerman into the starting DM role. Only a few folks worried about JJ getting a red card, and those few never bothered to look at the Bundesliga data in which JJ collected lots of yellows but almost never any reds (ie., Jones almost always knew what he was doing with his yellows, sending veteran messages).

The Chandler -- JJ analogy also doesn't work very well because JJ is a tough, but very smart, very experienced, very clever veteran who knows where the lines are that he cannot cross. Chandler, even after several years in the Bundesliga, still looks befuddled much of the time.

I think the fan and media consensus is right about Chandler at this time. He is struggling. And JK basically admitted as much by pulling him at the half of one game, something you rarely see done to starting defenders. I defended Chandler when many fans got on his case for seeming to lack the will to commit to the US. I still like his potential and he belongs in the pool. But I can't really defend his dodgy play this month, and I'd rather see Fabian Johnson or Yedlin at RB the rest of the tournament.

9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have presented a sanitized view of BS's opinion of JJ from last cycle but I will ignore it for now.

I agree that TC is not playing well but the whole team is not playing well. Chandler did not play v Haiti and our level of play did not improve in fact it was worse IMO.

The team is not performing because the players who are expected to be leading this team are performing way below expectations but lets focus on a RB who if we had ranked starting lineup player value coming into this cycle from 1 to 11, most would have ranked 10 or 11.

That is called scapegoating.

10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I meant to ask: Does anyone know how it would be possible to see the same map for Chandler's performance against Panama?

11. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Translation: You're right, however I'm incapable of admitting when I'm wrong.

12. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member+

Aug 26, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My problem with Chandler is not that he's a bad player (which he arguably is), but that he keeps starting in spite of mediocre performances. I'd rather see any one of Evans, FJ, or Yedlin at right back. I'd also rate Cameron ahead of him if he were on the roster.

13. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually it's on the bottom right of the boxscore page of MLSsoccer.com's recap for the game:
    http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2015-07-13-panama-vs-us-mens-national-team/boxscore

Not loading for me right now, but you can try it.

All games on MLSsoccer.com (including national team games that have recaps) have the Opta maps in the boxscore tab bottom right. Just click on the player you want to see, and denote on the right hand side what stats you'd like to see.

14. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  15. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Anyway, here is how Chandler's passing looked for the Panama game:

[​IMG]

16. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he went for the safer pass to the central d more often.

17. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    #3192 FeedhimtothepigsArold, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    JK is literally telling people that he wants TC pushing up the pitch. The problem is when players turnover the ball and your momentum is taking you the other way.......Well, we all know what happens. It appears that you are out of position. You will get caught out. It doesnt matter if Lichaj, Yedlin etc were in the same position its going to look the same. Case and point....Chandler didnt play the Haiti game and we looked equally as bad as we did in the Honduras game.

Im not excusing Chandlers performance in the Honduras game obviously JK shared the same sentiments as most fans. Chandler was yanked at half. But lets look at the games over the last year. We are currently in a 7 game unbeaten run. Chandler has featured in many of that streak. Its alarming how some people can say ' he doesnt have chemistry'. The results simply don't point that way currently. When fans present arguments like that, im forced to believe that its an emotional lash out rather than analysis based on facts.

The stats tell a different story. The stats show that we were inept in the final third against Panama. We were outplayed in the attacking half.

USMNT out possessed Panama 53.7% to 46.3%

Check out the stats for the attacking half. Even though we had most of the possession. (All the numbers I received from matchcenter. mlssoccer. com)

Overall passing accuracy US 84% Pan 86%

Attacking half US 73% Pan 78%

Final Third US 66% Pan 73% (108-108)

Crosses US 0% Pan 35% (6-20)

I know stats dont always tell the tale. However, these stats do reveal some interesting things. Our playmakers are not finding the wings. Whether they lose the ball before we get a chance to build or simply are making the wrong passing decisions. Bradley and Beckermann are my first too culprits because they have been guilty of this since game 1. The graph put up earlier suggest TC was not as bad as many made his passing to be in the Panama game. Panama had 4x the crosses we did. In the final third they were more efficient. Sometimes when im watching our Bradley i feel like hes trying to force it too much. Trying to be Pirloesque and find the killer ball instead of allowing it to happen naturally.

Im going to go as far as saying TC had decent 2nd half. He was aggressive. He put in a few heavy challenges and you have to like that he is willing to mix it up in CONCACAF. Especially given his physical qualities. He is bottom heavy and those guys tend to leave a mark when they miss. Fab Johnson doesnt always want to commit to defending. I think the fact that he looks so elegant when he goes forward makes fans give him a pass. He takes his time getting back often and he doesnt always close down crosses with the urgency you would like as a fb. Not surprising though because it appears he wants to be a winger.

18. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Chandler's distribution against Cuba:

[​IMG]

19. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all the crap Timmy gets, and how excited everyone gets when Yedlin beats people and gets off a hideous cross, I prefer Chandler's overlaps. Very nice cross today, and not his first....

FeedhimtothepigsArold and irish56 repped this.
  20. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3195 Berks, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    Very nice cross today, but once again removed after 45 minutes. Not sure why he needed a rest relative to other players. But I'm beating a dead horse on that one...

EDIT: Please see the post below, was related to a potential injury.

21. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was removed as a precaution because of soreness in his knee

Berks repped this.
  22. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Appreciated. I take back my commentary for today's game. I was watching with a bunch of people and didn't hear that on the telecast.

23. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had a good game today.

irish56 repped this.
  24. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good outing against Cuba. I'm glad TC's shortcomings (need to clean up the short passing, improve defensive positioning) are being highlighted now - the tools and enthusiasm are there and he needs to take the next step in becoming a consistent veteran.

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup, Im not gonna hate just to hate, I always give credit when it is due, he had a fine cross today on the first goal, cant ask for much better, hes had a few of those in him from time to time. As we know though, big picture. Im hoping......hoping its a confidence booster if nothing else. I'm not sure a game against Cuba is going to be a turning point where everything starts to click, but hey Ill hope for it. I want our guys to succeed, but I also want the best team on the field that gives us a chance to win. Big picture, Chandler is not that guy right now for the national team.

Had to be subbed off for a knee though, we will see what that's about soon enough I guess. Didn't Brad Evans have an inexplicably good game against Jamaica last time around too? Like, best game for him in a USMNT jersey kinda game?