Timmay Too: The Chandler thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Apr 30, 2011.

1. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm watching it again and can see that a number of times the options Chandler has when he had the ball were not great and don't fault him at all for hoofing it forward. Honduras did a really good job defensively in this match.

deuteronomy and nowherenova repped this.
  2. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    This. Yedlin is 'unorthodox' to put it kindly. Another problem was that Dempsey and Chandler weren't on the same page either.

3. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Chandler to be at his best, he has to play with a winger who has the ability to cut inside and play out and out so he can overlap

4. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, he'd be much better behind a Mix or a Bedoya. Same thing with Fabian, actually. Zardes is lost as a wide mid and almost impossible to combine with. He'd be better as a LF in a 4-3-3.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  5. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JK explains Chandler:

“Everyone that’s in that situation, it’s very different,” said Klinsmann. “Since he’s been part of the team more regularly and more consistently, you saw him grow. You saw him also growing within the group and there’s a specific hierarchy within the group as well. You see the players how they look at him and how they respect him. He’s really building his position right now.”

“Does he still makes mistakes? Absolutely,” Klinsmann said. “All of them do. We’re working on that. He’s playing his role a bit differently in his club in Frankfurt than he does with us. We want him to go in there a bit more. When the defender goes a little bit more, it’s a little bit more risk, so that risk also could be that you make some mistakes, you give the ball away in that position when you shouldn’t give the ball away, and you might get caught."
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/goldcup/20...ler-still-evolving-usmnt-lot-positives-future

To me it was eye opening just how happy for TC the group was when he scored. Jozy was ecstatic!

orcrist and Hobo repped this.
  6. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @TheHoustonHoyaFan Seems very well liked, especially in the 20-26 age group of the team.

Him and Jozy have a bromance, TC joined the group of reporters interviewing Jozy yesterday or the day before

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  7. Jeff Wineberg

Jeff Wineberg Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Chandler has been awful in the first half against Panama, simply awful. How many of these performances does he have to have before he finally gets benched?

Berks, Deep Wilcox, OWN(yewu)ED and 3 others repped this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    He's had a few bad moments, but nothing awful. You shouldn't listen to Lalas.

9. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the announcers said that Chandler is playing a 'different role' for the US.....how about we see him in a role that he could actually be good at?

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ive already said my piece, Im just glad 99.9 percent of the rest of the board sees it

11. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    He wasn't that bad tonight at all. But cue the hyperbole.

nbarbour and USA All DAY repped this.
  12. Jeff Wineberg

Jeff Wineberg Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No. I recall 4 times he misjudged a ball/got caught out of position and 3 terrible giveaways. Sorry but that many gaffes in one half justifies what I said.

PANDEMONEUM repped this.
  13. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    This should be on a t=shirt

nbarbour repped this.
  14. Jeff Wineberg

Jeff Wineberg Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He (and the rest of the back 4) were much better in the second half. They looked much more confident and cohesive as a unit.

15. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    heard this as well, but i dont think it's that different. He's a Right Back in both setups. Maybe the US asks him to go forward more (at least according to JK), but that is not his problem for the US, it's simple passes well in his own end, and positioning + getting smoked on defense.

16. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Agreed but he wasn't that bad overall. A few miscues in the first half, sure, but so did everyone else. He was also hung out to dry a few times by Beckerman playing medicine balls to Panama so I think it made him look worse than he was.

17. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nah, not really

18. Jefe26

Jefe26 Member

Mar 4, 2014
    We have to have a better starting RB option.

I would start Beasley at LB and move Fabian to RB

jaxonmills repped this.
  19. Jeff Wineberg

Jeff Wineberg Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes really. Alvarado by himself covered for Chandler three times....

Excellency repped this.
  20. USA All DAY

USA All DAY Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The same Alverado who looked like he wasn't trying and got turned like a top on Panama's goal?

21. USA All DAY

USA All DAY Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought out of the back four Chandler wasn't even the worst, even though he was garnering a bad rap from Lalas. That honor belonged to Alverado.

By the way can we all just take a second to admire the work FJ puts in. The difference between him and Chandler is night and day and really allows you to see just what FJ is worth to this team.

GiallorossiYank and vexco repped this.
  22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That's why he's there.

23. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    When you step up to challenge someone and a guy slides behind you and the center back picks him up, that's not an error. That's how it's supposed to work.

Hobo and nowherenova repped this.
  24. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    My favorite part was when Lalas blamed Chandler for getting beat down the line when it was Bedoya.

nowherenova repped this.
  25. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    I was hoping someone would bring this up. Almost everyone on the field had bad giveaways for the US last night. Somehow, it seemed all Chandler's fault to Alexi.