Timeless (Season 2) [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The showrunners have started really experimenting with form in recent seasons, kind of like what Joss Whedon did in the latter seasons of "Buffy".

That's why the most recent episode was a Scooby-Doo crossover. :ROFLMAO:

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    One last post for the thread hijacking about "Supernatural": the 14th season means they will get to 300 episodes, which must be a number that very few scripted dramas have reached. Outside of police procedurals, anyway.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It wasn't bad, but I think episode four was my least favorite of the second season so far.

On a different note, there is like 0% chance that Jessica isn't a Rittenhouse long-term sleeper agent, right?

Goodsport repped this.
  4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's interesting that there was no sleeper agent this time - it was Lucy's mother who initiated things there, partly so that Benjamin Franklin would never be born but mainly to draw Lucy there to try to convince her again to join Rittenhouse, lest Nicholas and Emma take over the "Lucy problem" (which they ended up doing at the end of the episode).

Also, would Wyatt have handled the situation just like Garcia Flynn did?

I'm not sure about 0%, but it's certainly a strong possibility. :eek:

With Wyatt not being the Wyatt that Jessica has known for the past six years, he likely now knows how Lucy felt last year when she wasn't the Lucy who was engaged to Noah. :confused:

Next up: the team brings a young John F. Kennedy (whether inadvertently or not) back to the present.

-G

Belgian guy repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flynn finally getting in on the action is great to see. His hatred of Rittenhouse will add a nice (and surely chaotic) dynamic to the storyline as a whole.

Goodsport repped this.
  6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    In terms of Goodsports revelation of the next episode, I wonder if reversing the time travel direction (with a historical figure coming to the present instead of our beloved Time Team spending the entire episode in the past) is a move inspired by cost-reduction? It must save a fortune on just costuming and set dressing, for one thing.

Goodsport repped this.
  7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see some chart or something outlining how different the "present day" is in Timeless compared to our present day. They've changed a lot of stuff.

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The Butterfly Effect also suggests that these changes would likely lead to significant changes in the present. e.g. just saving eight people back in 1692 would have huge repercussions 326 years later. Just the amount of blood relatives that would be alive today that would have not existed otherwise would be huge.

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And of course witch-hunt is no longer a phrase, WWDTD (what would donald trump do)

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That seemed fishy to me. Just because the Salem Witch Trials were altered in terms of their outcome does not mean that the world suddenly wouldn't know the concept of a witch hunt.

It was hardly unique to Salem or the colonies.
    Hence why you had the need at the time for something like the Heksenwaag van Oudewater.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oudewater#Buildings

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it is a US centric show, so there's that.

Belgian guy repped this.
  12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    True, but many European concepts have ended up in your language, so why would Witch Hunt be different?

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So in the new timeline, JFK survives his luncheon in Dallas only to be shot later that day in Austin? But why would Lee Harvey Oswald have changed his plans? Or is the idea that JFK didn't visit Dallas and thus Oswald made his move in Austin?

Wyatt and Flynn were watching "It Happened One Night" together, an early screwball comedy about an odd couple hitting off. Is that foreshadowing to what might happen between the two of them or is Lyatt still meant to be?

Goodsport repped this.
  14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that it's the latter.

I doubt that it'll be anything romantic between them two, but it's perhaps a strengthening of some kind of comradeship that'll eventually lead to her giving him her journal. :eek:

The visual cues in that scene also revealed how long that bunker's rec room (and the whole bunker in general) had been abandoned, with the old model CRT TV underneath the HDTV they were watching, along with the first-generation Atari 2600 game console (with a game cartridge left in its slot) to its left and record player on its right. :D

It was also interesting that the bar Wyatt met up with Jessica a few episodes ago turned out to be in Gilroy, considering how much further south it is from Palo Alto than even San José is. Still, because of what Gilroy is most well-known for, it's perhaps the safest place to run to if one is being chased by vampires (if that ever becomes a thing in this series, which I somehow doubt). ;)

Next up: with a fourth seat finally added to the Lifeboat, Connor Mason joins the team to the Depression-era U.S. South to rescue Robert Johnson, who was considered the King of the Delta Blues and the Godfather of Rock n' Roll.

-G

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I liked the Robert Johnson trip, but having Wyatt attack a (or the) Rittenhouse base on his own was stupid. The fact that he actually succeeded at taking it down with no help was absurd.

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was the lessened security at Rittenhouse HQ because of this season's lowered budget? :confused:

It was also interesting that the team traveled back to exactly (to the day) 35 years before I was born (I'm old :(). :)

Also, I wonder how Don Law's early death in the episode will impact the careers of later musicians he worked with, not the least of which was Johnny Cash. :eek:

Next up: the team travels back to the Suffragette Movement in 1919 New York City.

-G

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two-episode season finale tonight (starting an hour earlier than usual, no less). :(

-G

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I understand, no one in the show can travel back to a time in which they were alive. So which episode(s) featured travel to times in which you wouldn't have been able to visit?

I'm so old :( that there are currently three such episodes for me (in broadcast order):

• "The Watergate Tape"
    • "Karma Chameleon"
    • "The Day Reagan Was Shot"

How about you? :confused:

-G

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    "Karma Chameleon" is the only episode that falls under that category for me.
    Though I was born less than a month after "The Day Reagan Was Shot".

Goodsport repped this.
  20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I really hope they get a third season. Season two did all of the things that season one did well, whilst fixing some of the small things that didn't work in its freshman year. Also, it would really suck to end the show on such a major cliffhanger.

I loved that Gia "Back to the Future III"-ed the lifeboat. :ROFLMAO:

Also, 1888 Gia was kind of working for me. :oops:

Goodsport repped this.
  21. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #46 Smurfquake, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    It was a good cliffhanger. I was kind of hoping for a steampunk cyborg Rufus to come out of the other lifeboat at the end, but a Mad Max style Lucy and Wyatt wasn't bad.

Edit: not so much Mad Max, but maybe more Sarah Connor from Terminator 2.

Goodsport repped this.
  22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So sometime in the future, they figure out a way to travel back into their own time line? But why would future Wyatt and Lucy not go back themselves to save Rufus? Why the need to let the present day Wyatt and Lucy do it?

Goodsport repped this.
  23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

I'm guessing this won't be good enough for the NBC suits. A shame, this is a very fun show and I will miss it if they do cancel it.

Goodsport repped this.
  24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look forward to not reading the numerous fan fiction theories that will be written to answer that question.

Other things that could have come out of the alternate lifeboat: I already mentioned steampunk cyborg Rufus, rebuilt with 1880s technology, but future Connor Mason, or future Agent Christopher, or future Jiya would have been interesting. Wyatt's grown-up son, like the last season of the Buffyverse's Angel, where Angel's baby was born in season 4, grew up offscreen in a hell dimension and came back in season 5 as a teenager. "Dad, we gotta save Rufus!" They should have filmed alternate endings where something different comes out of the lifeboat at the end.

Still, what we got was future Wyatt and Lucy, with war beards and clothing, looking like they've been through the shit for a few years. The fan fiction possibilities abound. But I'm pretty sure that's all we're going to get from this show going forward.

Goodsport, Ashur and Belgian guy repped this.