Time to refinance?

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by Sachin, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm about to (hopefully) refinance my mortgage down about 5/8 of a point. Anyone else thinking about refis as the stock market decline has driven down mortgage rates?

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did it on a long term loan whan the prime was 7.25%. So the 75 point cut really bummed me out.

Anyway, I hope you do well with it.

3. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    I actually looked into it today, but my savings would be nominal.

Sachin...when you refinance, don't pay any closing costs except for the title fee, taxes.

4. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    How do you avoid this? We are looking at refinancing right now.

5. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    Some mortgage brokers will eat the cost in exchange for your business. You can just ask them for the rates of a "no points, no fees" refi.

6. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I was going to start a new thread on this, luckily for me the awesome BS community beat me to it ;).
    We are looking to re-fi as well, but the rates aren't as low as I thought they'd be. Some brokers have actually told us that they are higher lately, despite the fed cuts :confused:. I was hoping for some clarity on that, because that doesn't sound right to me. I'm kind of holding off until I get some more info and shop around some more.

7. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    I heard that the 30 year fixed mortgages are not dependent on the interest rate that the Fed just cut. I think they're dependent on some sort of T-bill index. I think it was something called the 10 year t-bill index.

8. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United

Don't go to a broker...go directly to a lender. If you are above 6%, have a greater than 20% loan-to-value ratio and have good credit, you will get a lower rate. If you aren't, they obviously don't want your business.

9. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    VERY astute point. Mortgage rates are dependent on the 10-year Treasury bonds. Here's the logic behind that:

A US government bond is essentially the safest investment available. No rational investor will accept a return lower than a US government bond. For example, if a US government bond pays 4%, all investments should have an expected return higher than 4%. A typical 30 year fixed rate mortgage pays out in 8 years on average because of home sales, etc. So the closest government bond benchmark rate is the 10 year bond.

As bond prices go up, bond yields drop. Because of the recent downturn in the stock market, money has been entering the bond market, driving prices up and yields down. The 10 year treasury bond is no exception.

Here are the yields over the past year or so:

[​IMG]

A lender knows that they need to earn above the 10 year treasury bond rate to make a profit. So the rates they offer move, more or less, in concert with the 10 year Treasury bond rates. There are some variations, including the demand for mortgages and the liquidity of the resale market, but generally speaking, this is the yield to keep an eye on.

Hope this helps,

Sachin

10. LOCO4UNITED!!

LOCO4UNITED!! New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Section #120.
    Sachin,
    Are you still trying to refinance? If so, wha rates are the quoting you?

11. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    The last guy we talked to gave us 5.5 but I didn't lock. He never got back to us about recasting the mortgage after we sell our first house, so we're nowhere at the moment. PM me if you want to talk some more. :)

Sachin

12. ScissorsKick

ScissorsKick Member

Jan 12, 2005
    VA
    I hope you have significant equity in your home if you plan to refi nowadays since most lenders will not refi for more than the current appraised value. the only exceptions to this would be an above value loan (ex. 125%) which means significantly higher rates. That is the dilemma for most now who bought a few years ago with only 5% or so down payment. Lenders won't refinance a home for more than it is currently worth.

Also, make sure your existing loan does not have a prepayment penalty which you will have to pay to close out the old loan and get a new (roughly $2-$10K depending on loan size). The only way around this is to get the refinance through the current lender who might find it in themselves to waive the penalty. Although they will probably bump your rate to compensate without explaining that to you!