Time for yet another "Mass Shooting" thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jan 11, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Yeah, apparently he shot himself and sorta missed. Not all that uncommon among suicide by gun attempts.

sitruc and Moishe repped this.
  2. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this trying time, my thoughts and prayers are with the gun. I mean, we know that it is physically unharmed, but how do you think it feels, knowing that it had one job, but because it was in the hands of an incompetent ********wit, it couldn't get that job done?

3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Hopefully it has access to counseling...

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Shooters fcking up the NJ HS playoffs

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Was confiscated by police, no?
    It'll be used again eventually, and by a better shooter.

I know I can't help the victims, so I'll ask if the game was halted permanently with the score to stand, or rescheduled to finish tomorrow or early in the week. Somebody's got to advance, and whoever does deserves a chance at healing back up before the next round.

There have been a couple shootings in Birmingham near games, and one in Mobile. I was never happy with the idea of players lying down in the middle of a field, like easy targets.

soccernutter repped this.
  6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I work at a new high school. We had a lock-down drill that ended about 10 minutes before the shooting in CA started.
    There have been several comments over the years about how these lock-down drills and active shooter drills are bad for the mental health of the students. This shooting will not help the move to reduce the drills. One student said they knew what to do because of a drill. Other students booked out of the school because that is what is taught.

But, and I give respect, there were 3 LEOs dropping off their kids who became the first on scene and did not hesitate as the security guard and police officers did at MSDHS in Florida.

Auriaprottu, taosjohn and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    dapip repped this.
  8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  9. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
  10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Saban was ashen when the sideline lady caught him at halftime. Knew how bad it was. Game was locked up in 2nd qtr but Saban said Tua was in there "running the 2 minute offense"

11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Apparently there's a fracture involved too-- meaning nobody knew till they saw the X-rays; and realigning the joint on the field or sidelines may not have been optimal...

12. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I remember this injury...Marcus DuPree and Bo Jackson...The risk is vascular necrosis starving the femur ball.

Auriaprottu and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    IIRC Bo rolled over on the field & popped his back in

14. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
  15. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Multiple shooting in Jersey City. One officer fatally shot. My cousin is JCPD so hope to hear later from her.

Moishe and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thoughts and prayers?

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You're getting the drill. We'll tell the NRA to contact you when they move up north.

18. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    My cousin did text me shortly after saying they were ok. Her husband is also an officer and normally that area is part of his beat but he was off duty at the time of the shooting - obviously everyone rushed over there though. There was a lot of confusion at that point but we did learn that the Kosher Deli had been targeted.

Dr. Wankler and Moishe repped this.
  19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

20. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    America! F**** yeah!

At least we're first in something....

21. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Owned? Manufactured? In current existence? Counting military and police? Retail and wholesale stocks?

I'm sorry, but pessimistic as I am about the current state of affairs it is a little hard to believe that my total of 0 is balanced somewhere by a guy with 242 guns crammed into his house ?

My father was a collector in a minor way, and a gunsmith in my toddlerhood, and I'm pretty sure there were never more than 15-20 in his possession, and half of those disabled…

My neighbor hunts for meat, and he has three hunting rifles, because some of those family members who hunt have no safe storage for them and small children. The neighbor on the other side has none. So that 3 household cohort has three guns among 5 adults and two children; so that leaves 844 unaccounted for if that 121 is only private non-commercial stocks?

Understand that this is gun country-- if I could walk through walls with an all-seeing eye, and I walked down this side of the road for the mile back towards the hospital I'd, pass through the houses of hunters, veterans, single moms who believe the self-defense meme, likely at least one drug dealer; but I'd bet the rent there wouldn't be any household which averaged even five guns the resident. Now one gun nut can really drive the averages up in a hurry; but I find it a bit implausible that it could drive it up to 121?

soccernutter and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  22. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    I totally buy it. I dont know how they calculate that number but it doesnt seem off to me at all. There are gun nuts who stockpile guns a la Sara Connor. Add in the militarization of police and those numbers can add up fast.

23. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm surprised it's that low.

24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/11/nyregion/jersey-city-shooting.html

An assailant involved in a prolonged firefight in Jersey City, N.J., that left six people dead, including one police officer, had published anti-Semitic and anti-police posts online and investigators believe the attack was motivated by those sentiments, a law enforcement official familiar with the case said on Wednesday.

Investigators also found a manifesto-style note inside the assailants’ van, the law enforcement official and another official familiar with the case said.

The document, which was described as brief and “rambling,” suggested no clear motive for the shooting. Investigators also found a live pipe bomb inside the vehicle, the law enforcement official said.

The law enforcement official could not provide more details about the suspect’s online posts or where they had been published. He said investigators were still reviewing that information.​

Anti-Semitic attack, apparently. Or mental illness if they're white enough.

InTheSun repped this.
  25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No wonder Poland is so easy to invade.

Checks flag again, sees it is the Indonesian flag.

xtomx and fatbastard repped this.